Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee bean grinder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No it's a result of burr designs, the burrs are creating too much heat and then static when dispersing the grinds.

It's not a bad grinder, especially at that price, but if I was looking to buy again I'd definitely spend the extra and go up to a Eureka or Sette, well worth it the extra investment.

So if it’s not bad like you say then it can’t be mediocre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,728 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

murpho999 wrote: »
    So if it’s not bad like you say then it can’t be mediocre.

Struggling to understand that logic. It's not bad, not great. So average at best. Which is the meaning of mediocre....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Struggling to understand that logic. It's not bad, not great. So average at best. Which is the meaning of mediocre....

Mediocre is bad in my book.

Nothing wrong with average either, that's what most things are.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do people here like that grinder?
    I've used mine for about 4 years now and having seen that offer, am now considering buying a second as a gift. Definitely an entry-level grinder, but I've been using mine almost exclusively for espresso and it just about copes with that goal, without having the refinement/capability (steps) to perfect the extraction. It's small, quiet and tidy - at least compared to the Mazzer super-jolly that I have in storage, waiting for some modification/restoring to make it usable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

alec76 wrote: »
    Cheapest ,entry level grinder for espresso
    https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-iberital-mc2-auto.html
    You might need to do some burrs recalibration before it gets you to good results...plenty guides online...
    Otherwise, if you need real “out of the box” espresso grinder , you are paying €250 and up to infinity....

Thanks, that seems like a reasonable price point. Do you know if it’s good for other settings than espresso too? That’s mainly what I’d want it for but would make the odd French press, aeropress etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

flogen wrote: »
    Thanks, that seems like a reasonable price point. Do you know if it’s good for other settings than espresso too? That’s mainly what I’d want it for but would make the odd French press, aeropress etc

Won’t be great for universal use afaik.
    I am not sure if such a grinder exist ( decent grind quality for espresso and French press at same time)
    You’ll probably set it for French press though, but switching back to espresso range won’t be simple task and require burrs re-calibration ...to much hustle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Won’t be great for universal use afaik.
    I am not sure if such a grinder exist ( decent grind quality for espresso and French press at same time)
    You’ll probably set it for French press though, but switching back to espresso range won’t be simple task and require burrs re-calibration ...to much hustle.

Cheers.

I would have assumed there were grinders that could do a good range well, even if they’re the more expensive ones. Oh well. Guess I could use my hand grinder for French press... I need it less often and it’s less work for the coarser grind

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is it a bit pricey for a manual grinder? Mind you, it looks like a good job. How long does it take you to grind 17g of coffee?

It is stainless steel burrs, probably better than ceramic for pour over , I wonder if consistency any better than Hario’s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

It'll obviously be better than a cheap ceramic but it really seems like a waste of money at that price. Four dials between coarse and espresso is absurd. If you grind for pourover it'll just produce a lot of fines and boulders. I'd say it'll be grand for French press though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it a bit pricey for a manual grinder? Mind you, it looks like a good job. How long does it take you to grind 17g of coffee?

I thought it might be worth in investing in a good one, liked how you set the grind setting with ease and was satisfied with the reviews, I'll time myself and let you know :-P .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭comete

Long time v60/aeropress drinker looking to upgrade my 5 year old rhino hand grinder, budget up to maybe €250.

Just acquired an older gaggia coffee deluxe from my brother, so something capable of espresso would be nice, although 80% of the time will be used for v60.

Are there any automatic grinders of note in that budget, or best to stick to a manual/hand grinder?

Currently looking at a comandante c40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

comete wrote: »
    Long time v60/aeropress drinker looking to upgrade my 5 year old rhino hand grinder, budget up to maybe €250.

Just acquired an older gaggia coffee deluxe from my brother, so something capable of espresso would be nice, although 80% of the time will be used for v60.

Are there any automatic grinders of note in that budget, or best to stick to a manual/hand grinder?

€250 is an in between sum for a good grinder... At that price range, I think the Sage Smart Grinder Pro is your best bet. Mine is great... It's got allot of function and quality for the cost, I believe the next step up in grind quality is much, much more expensive.

Possibly worth looking at an Encore as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wilsixon

Bluefoam wrote: »
    €250... the Sage Smart Grinder Pro is your best bet... the next step up in grind quality is much, much more expensive

I'd say next noticeable step up is Mahlkonig Vario for around €400, excellent grinder.

wilsixon wrote: »
    I'd say next noticeable step up is Mahlkonig Vario for around €400, excellent grinder.

Eureka Mignon would be another one to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,728 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wouldn't recommend the Mignon for V60/Aeropress, not really a great filter grinder and is geared towards espresso, will produce a fair few fines.

The Wilfa Svart is a decent option, and fairly highly regarded.

Hand grinders will give you a better and more consistent grind, but to be honest I've a Made By Knock Aergrind that I use for work, it's a great grinder but you get sick of it fairly fast even though it only takes about a minute to grind a 20g dose.

Wouldn't recommend the Mignon for V60/Aeropress, not really a great filter grinder and is geared towards espresso, will produce a fair few fines.

Sorry for confusion , I've meant filter model of Mignon
    https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mignon-filtro-grinder-matt-black.html

To update this, ordered a 1zpresso jx-pro from Bellabarista last Thursday night, just arrived in Sligo this morning (with a free bag of beans!). It is a beast! So much weightier and girthier than my rhino hand grinder, chomped through 15g of beans for v60 in what felt like <15s and provided a more consistent grind than I have ever seen. Their recommended setting was almost spot on, probably just a click coarser next time!

I noticed a lot of static, but hoping that’s just because it is new, and anyway they provided a small brush to remove the remaining grounds.

Need to give the Gaggia a good clean and maybe pick up a new portafilter before I try it on that.

50422731958_7f2d2de4b7_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

nice pic, love seeing people's coffee set ups

question

do you lose much temp transferring from the kettle to the pouring kettle? does it matter for you, do you brew v60 at a lower than 90c temperature?

question

do you lose much temp transferring from the kettle to the pouring kettle? does it matter for you, do you brew v60 at a lower than 90c temperature?

I preheat the pouring kettle and use that to preheat v60 and mug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hi folks,

Just looking for advice on the best type of home setup to purchase. Wfh for the foreseeable and a big coffee drinker so think its a good time to invest in a good setup. Currently only drink instant lavazza at home.

Any help/advice welcome?

Hi folks,

Just looking for advice on the best type of home setup to purchase. Wfh for the foreseeable and a big coffee drinker so think its a good time to invest in a good setup. Currently only drink instant lavazza at home.

Any help/advice welcome?

Budget?

Lower end budget and an Aeropress + Manual Burr grinder will see you right

but you can spend literal hundreds

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Budget?

Lower end budget and an Aeropress + Manual Burr grinder will see you right

but you can spend literal hundreds

And thousands...!!

• Advertisement

Apologies, was thinking around 200e but could go to 400e if the difference was worth it

Apologies, was thinking around 200e but could go to 400e if the difference was worth it

My suggestion at that budget would be a porlex or rhino hand grinder and a v60 or aeropress, with a good scales and a good pouring kettle

My suggestion at that budget would be a porlex or rhino hand grinder and a v60 or aeropress, with a good scales and a good pouring kettle

Cheers for the info. Would there be a machine that does all the above with the push of a button by any chance....? Say a 500e budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Hi everyone - I came looking for grinder advice - and lots of great advice and information here - my head is spinning!

Here's what I have

I was given a Gaggia Baby Classic Espresso machine
    I also use a french press, and an aeropress

I have a blade grinder and what appears to be an ornamental hand grinder!

The weak point in my machinery is obviously my grinder options - so I was looking to buy a grinder. Some questions I have been pondering:

Am I expecting too much to get a grinder that grinds both for French press and down to Espresso - without spending more than €140?

Am I better getting a good grinder for french press and aeropress - and just buying beans already gound for my espresso?

A local coffee shop recommended the Wilfa Svart but I'm not seeing it mentioned much here (once) - is it worth considering?

What recommendations would you make given the budget?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Wilfa Swart would be the very good grinder for the filter coffee, couldnt go wrong with this. Useless for espresso,there is no such a thing
    like a good universal grinder AFAIK.
    https://youtu.be/1gm6UfD9qSc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

jmark wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I came looking for grinder advice - and lots of great advice and information here - my head is spinning!

Here's what I have

I was given a Gaggia Baby Classic Espresso machine
    I also use a french press, and an aeropress

I have a blade grinder and what appears to be an ornamental hand grinder!

The weak point in my machinery is obviously my grinder options - so I was looking to buy a grinder. Some questions I have been pondering:

Am I expecting too much to get a grinder that grinds both for French press and down to Espresso - without spending more than €140?

Am I better getting a good grinder for french press and aeropress - and just buying beans already gound for my espresso?

A local coffee shop recommended the Wilfa Svart but I'm not seeing it mentioned much here (once) - is it worth considering?

What recommendations would you make given the budget?

Thanks in advance!

My Sage Smart Grinder Pro produces fine all the way to coarse & I think its great. It's generally around the €250 mark at the moment. It is the cheapest level of grinder I would recommend for espresso. There are a couple more machines at this price or a little higher... And my observation is that anything operating at a higher quality level jumps to at least €400 +++.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Could anyone recommend a good manual / hand grinder, for daily use with (usually) an Aeropress?

Hoping to replace an electric De'Longhi grinder and figure a manual option might be a more peaceful (De'Longhi is on the obnoxiously loud side) and better grind for the price range (<€60?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit outside your budget but I'd consider one of the below:

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/porlex-mini-grinder-ii

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CV3WPX1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A38OSZRHBCMTVK&psc=1

I've had the tall version of the porlex for well over a decade and its still going strong, its pretty much indestructible, but hand grinding does get old fairly quickly to be honest.

I’ve had porlex mini for years too. It is quite fast , as for the grind quality, not sure if it is any better than Hario or any other €20 manual grinder of EBay .

Nice one, thanks. The porlex mini looks like it'll do the job nicely and be handy enough to have in the drawer even if/when it does fall out of regular use.

I’ve had porlex mini for years too. It is quite fast , as for the grind quality, not sure if it is any better than Hario or any other €20 manual grinder of EBay .

Thanks to an answer to my question yesterday I fell down the Youtube rabbit hole of James Hoffman's reviews. He reviews manual grinders here - Porlex comes out on top in this catgory of cheap manual grinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEBfom0mhM

Thanks for introducing me to James Hoffman's videos - but O, what have you done?! I fell down the youtube rabbit hole yesterday!

jmark wrote: »
    Thanks to an answer to my question yesterday I fell down the Youtube rabbit hole of James Hoffman's reviews. He reviews manual grinders here - Porlex comes out on top in this catgory of cheap manual grinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEBfom0mhM

I watched that yesterday too :pac:

Also the 'Ultimate Hand Grinder Showdown' which he said were all much better than the Porlex - but the next cheapest is around £100. Tempted.. but can't justify it :)

It was also his review of £50 Burr Grinders, which included the De'Longhi I have, that has me looking for something better in the first place. He hated them all, basically. And I fully agree with him on the noise at least. Putting beans into that thing and hearing it WHIRRRRR each morning is not my favourite part of the day.

Good videos.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I watched that yesterday too :pac:

Also the 'Ultimate Hand Grinder Showdown' which he said were all much better than the Porlex - but the next cheapest is around £100. Tempted.. but can't justify it :)

It was also his review of £50 Burr Grinders, which included the De'Longhi I have, that has me looking for something better in the first place. He hated them all, basically. And I fully agree with him on the noise at least. Putting beans into that thing and hearing it WHIRRRRR each morning is not my favourite part of the day.

Good videos.

Yup - sounds like you had the same day I had!

• Advertisement

Well, ordering the Porlex mini from Coffee Angel was a good choice. Ordered yesterday afternoon, arrived (within Dublin) this morning.

And it's just what I was looking for too. Good size, build quality, nice grind - definitely better than the De'Longhi, and not too much work for my 1 or maybe 2 cups a day.

Damn fine cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

With just getting into fresh grinder coffee for my v60 method I am wondering about;

Should I get a grinder, and switch to roasted wholebean coffee?

The Haven wrote: »

Should I get a grinder, and switch to roasted wholebean coffee?

yes

yes
    Thanks.

So my choices are:
    Wilfa Coffee Grinder €130~
    Sage The Smart Grinder Pro (checked camelcamelcamel, waiting on price drop to £140-150 to purchase, not at £200 though)
    Not the Barazta Encore - don't fancy that.

Decent choices?

The Haven wrote: »
    Thanks.

So my choices are:
    Wilfa Coffee Grinder €130~
    Sage The Smart Grinder Pro (checked camelcamelcamel, waiting on price drop to £140-150 to purchase, not at £200 though)
    Not the Barazta Encore - don't fancy that.

Decent choices?

If it is for filter then Wilfa Svart , obviously.

If it is for filter then Wilfa Svart , obviously.

Sound, ty

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Klopp

Anyone point me the direction where I can buy a Niche Grinder? I am not 100% certain on it yet but everywhere I have searched and looked seems to be out of stock, maybe a shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

Klopp wrote: »
    Anyone point me the direction where I can buy a Niche Grinder? I am not 100% certain on it yet but everywhere I have searched and looked seems to be out of stock, maybe a shortage?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/niche-zero-the-best-conical-burr-coffee-grinder/x/25169438#/

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Klopp

At those prices i will have to wait for a while, there is no way i would get away with buying one without her finding out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Advertisement