Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee bean grinder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

murpho999 wrote: »
    Amazon selling the Sage BCG820BSSUK Pro Coffee Grinder for £139.

Link

Also in Curries for €169.95.

Surely these are both great offers?

Do people here like that grinder?

It's a decent offer for anyone looking to get started, I bought one a couple of months back for 225, it'll do a mediocre job at espresso but will clump fairly bad so grinds need to be stirred thoroughly, it's probably the cheapest automatic option that will get you started with unpressurised baskets. I'm using mine for filter at the moment and it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a bag of coffee from some Galway roasters, lovely, except I didn’t realise I was buying beans and I haven’t got a burr grinder.
    I’m not a regular enough coffee drinker to warrant paying €40 for the delonghi grinder linked here, so does anyone know of any coffee place in Dublin which might grind this one bag of coffee beans for me, say if I gave them €5 or something?

Just want to say, I never ventured into this section of Boards until a few weeks ago when I bought that bag of whole coffee beans instead of pre ground and didn't want to spend €40 on buying a grinder for the one bag.
    I have now bought a Delonghi Burr coffee grinder
    and a Delonghi Dedica coffee machine
    and have been looking up Barista one day courses :eek:
    This corner of Boards is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

This corner of Boards is dangerous.

:D

great resource this place is

I've bought every piece of paraphernalia for coffee I own because of this forum, Aeropress, v60, moka, french press

I wasn't even a coffee drinker until I did some research here when I was buying my wife an espresso machine for our anniversary one year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

....I have now bought a Delonghi Burr coffee grinder......

If a KG79 / KG89 look on YT for how to get it to grind finer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi, I bought a bag of coffee from some Galway roasters, lovely, except I didn’t realise I was buying beans and I haven’t got a burr grinder.
    I’m not a regular enough coffee drinker to warrant paying €40 for the delonghi grinder linked here, so does anyone know of any coffee place in Dublin which might grind this one bag of coffee beans for me, say if I gave them €5 or something?

I'd say if you went into a decent independent place when it was quiet and bought a coffee and a bag of their beans, they might do it if you asked nicely.

Edit: I see you got "sorted" anyway LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a decent offer for anyone looking to get started, I bought one a couple of months back for 225, it'll do a mediocre job at espresso but will clump fairly bad so grinds need to be stirred thoroughly, it's probably the cheapest automatic option that will get you started with unpressurised baskets. I'm using mine for filter at the moment and it does the job.

Mediocre, I don't think it's that bad in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Mediocre, I don't think it's that bad in all fairness.

I have it as grinder for the filter too,it is decent . As for the espresso...too many clumps , couldn’t go fine enough with some beans ( most of the beans are OK)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Isn't clumping just fresh beans?

I have the sage pro grinder, can't fault it

Nope,more advanced grinders have no clumps at same grinding settings.

I have the sage pro grinder, can't fault it

No it's a result of burr designs, the burrs are creating too much heat and then static when dispersing the grinds.

It's not a bad grinder, especially at that price, but if I was looking to buy again I'd definitely spend the extra and go up to a Eureka or Sette, well worth it the extra investment.

• Advertisement

No it's a result of burr designs, the burrs are creating too much heat and then static when dispersing the grinds.

It's not a bad grinder, especially at that price, but if I was looking to buy again I'd definitely spend the extra and go up to a Eureka or Sette, well worth it the extra investment.

So if it’s not bad like you say then it can’t be mediocre.

So if it’s not bad like you say then it can’t be mediocre.

Struggling to understand that logic. It's not bad, not great. So average at best. Which is the meaning of mediocre....

Struggling to understand that logic. It's not bad, not great. So average at best. Which is the meaning of mediocre....

Mediocre is bad in my book.

Nothing wrong with average either, that's what most things are.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do people here like that grinder?
    I've used mine for about 4 years now and having seen that offer, am now considering buying a second as a gift. Definitely an entry-level grinder, but I've been using mine almost exclusively for espresso and it just about copes with that goal, without having the refinement/capability (steps) to perfect the extraction. It's small, quiet and tidy - at least compared to the Mazzer super-jolly that I have in storage, waiting for some modification/restoring to make it usable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

alec76 wrote: »
    Cheapest ,entry level grinder for espresso
    https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-iberital-mc2-auto.html
    You might need to do some burrs recalibration before it gets you to good results...plenty guides online...
    Otherwise, if you need real “out of the box” espresso grinder , you are paying €250 and up to infinity....

Thanks, that seems like a reasonable price point. Do you know if it’s good for other settings than espresso too? That’s mainly what I’d want it for but would make the odd French press, aeropress etc

flogen wrote: »
    Thanks, that seems like a reasonable price point. Do you know if it’s good for other settings than espresso too? That’s mainly what I’d want it for but would make the odd French press, aeropress etc

Won’t be great for universal use afaik.
    I am not sure if such a grinder exist ( decent grind quality for espresso and French press at same time)
    You’ll probably set it for French press though, but switching back to espresso range won’t be simple task and require burrs re-calibration ...to much hustle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

alec76 wrote: »
    Won’t be great for universal use afaik.
    I am not sure if such a grinder exist ( decent grind quality for espresso and French press at same time)
    You’ll probably set it for French press though, but switching back to espresso range won’t be simple task and require burrs re-calibration ...to much hustle.

Cheers.

I would have assumed there were grinders that could do a good range well, even if they’re the more expensive ones. Oh well. Guess I could use my hand grinder for French press... I need it less often and it’s less work for the coarser grind

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is it a bit pricey for a manual grinder? Mind you, it looks like a good job. How long does it take you to grind 17g of coffee?

It is stainless steel burrs, probably better than ceramic for pour over , I wonder if consistency any better than Hario’s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

It'll obviously be better than a cheap ceramic but it really seems like a waste of money at that price. Four dials between coarse and espresso is absurd. If you grind for pourover it'll just produce a lot of fines and boulders. I'd say it'll be grand for French press though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it a bit pricey for a manual grinder? Mind you, it looks like a good job. How long does it take you to grind 17g of coffee?

I thought it might be worth in investing in a good one, liked how you set the grind setting with ease and was satisfied with the reviews, I'll time myself and let you know :-P .

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

Long time v60/aeropress drinker looking to upgrade my 5 year old rhino hand grinder, budget up to maybe €250.

Just acquired an older gaggia coffee deluxe from my brother, so something capable of espresso would be nice, although 80% of the time will be used for v60.

Are there any automatic grinders of note in that budget, or best to stick to a manual/hand grinder?

Currently looking at a comandante c40.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

comete wrote: »
    Long time v60/aeropress drinker looking to upgrade my 5 year old rhino hand grinder, budget up to maybe €250.

Just acquired an older gaggia coffee deluxe from my brother, so something capable of espresso would be nice, although 80% of the time will be used for v60.

Are there any automatic grinders of note in that budget, or best to stick to a manual/hand grinder?

€250 is an in between sum for a good grinder... At that price range, I think the Sage Smart Grinder Pro is your best bet. Mine is great... It's got allot of function and quality for the cost, I believe the next step up in grind quality is much, much more expensive.

Possibly worth looking at an Encore as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

Bluefoam wrote: »
    €250... the Sage Smart Grinder Pro is your best bet... the next step up in grind quality is much, much more expensive

I'd say next noticeable step up is Mahlkonig Vario for around €400, excellent grinder.

wilsixon wrote: »
    I'd say next noticeable step up is Mahlkonig Vario for around €400, excellent grinder.

Eureka Mignon would be another one to consider.

Wouldn't recommend the Mignon for V60/Aeropress, not really a great filter grinder and is geared towards espresso, will produce a fair few fines.

The Wilfa Svart is a decent option, and fairly highly regarded.

Hand grinders will give you a better and more consistent grind, but to be honest I've a Made By Knock Aergrind that I use for work, it's a great grinder but you get sick of it fairly fast even though it only takes about a minute to grind a 20g dose.

Wouldn't recommend the Mignon for V60/Aeropress, not really a great filter grinder and is geared towards espresso, will produce a fair few fines.

Sorry for confusion , I've meant filter model of Mignon
    https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mignon-filtro-grinder-matt-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

comete wrote: »

To update this, ordered a 1zpresso jx-pro from Bellabarista last Thursday night, just arrived in Sligo this morning (with a free bag of beans!). It is a beast! So much weightier and girthier than my rhino hand grinder, chomped through 15g of beans for v60 in what felt like <15s and provided a more consistent grind than I have ever seen. Their recommended setting was almost spot on, probably just a click coarser next time!

I noticed a lot of static, but hoping that’s just because it is new, and anyway they provided a small brush to remove the remaining grounds.

Need to give the Gaggia a good clean and maybe pick up a new portafilter before I try it on that.

50422731958_7f2d2de4b7_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

nice pic, love seeing people's coffee set ups

Advertisement