Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee bean grinder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

question

do you lose much temp transferring from the kettle to the pouring kettle? does it matter for you, do you brew v60 at a lower than 90c temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

question

do you lose much temp transferring from the kettle to the pouring kettle? does it matter for you, do you brew v60 at a lower than 90c temperature?

I preheat the pouring kettle and use that to preheat v60 and mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hi folks,

Just looking for advice on the best type of home setup to purchase. Wfh for the foreseeable and a big coffee drinker so think its a good time to invest in a good setup. Currently only drink instant lavazza at home.

Any help/advice welcome?

Hi folks,

Just looking for advice on the best type of home setup to purchase. Wfh for the foreseeable and a big coffee drinker so think its a good time to invest in a good setup. Currently only drink instant lavazza at home.

Any help/advice welcome?

Budget?

Lower end budget and an Aeropress + Manual Burr grinder will see you right

but you can spend literal hundreds

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Budget?

Lower end budget and an Aeropress + Manual Burr grinder will see you right

but you can spend literal hundreds

And thousands...!!

• Advertisement

Apologies, was thinking around 200e but could go to 400e if the difference was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

Apologies, was thinking around 200e but could go to 400e if the difference was worth it

My suggestion at that budget would be a porlex or rhino hand grinder and a v60 or aeropress, with a good scales and a good pouring kettle

comete wrote: »
    My suggestion at that budget would be a porlex or rhino hand grinder and a v60 or aeropress, with a good scales and a good pouring kettle

Cheers for the info. Would there be a machine that does all the above with the push of a button by any chance....? Say a 500e budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Hi everyone - I came looking for grinder advice - and lots of great advice and information here - my head is spinning!

Here's what I have

I was given a Gaggia Baby Classic Espresso machine
    I also use a french press, and an aeropress

I have a blade grinder and what appears to be an ornamental hand grinder!

The weak point in my machinery is obviously my grinder options - so I was looking to buy a grinder. Some questions I have been pondering:

Am I expecting too much to get a grinder that grinds both for French press and down to Espresso - without spending more than €140?

Am I better getting a good grinder for french press and aeropress - and just buying beans already gound for my espresso?

A local coffee shop recommended the Wilfa Svart but I'm not seeing it mentioned much here (once) - is it worth considering?

What recommendations would you make given the budget?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Wilfa Swart would be the very good grinder for the filter coffee, couldnt go wrong with this. Useless for espresso,there is no such a thing
    like a good universal grinder AFAIK.
    https://youtu.be/1gm6UfD9qSc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

jmark wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I came looking for grinder advice - and lots of great advice and information here - my head is spinning!

Here's what I have

I was given a Gaggia Baby Classic Espresso machine
    I also use a french press, and an aeropress

I have a blade grinder and what appears to be an ornamental hand grinder!

The weak point in my machinery is obviously my grinder options - so I was looking to buy a grinder. Some questions I have been pondering:

Am I expecting too much to get a grinder that grinds both for French press and down to Espresso - without spending more than €140?

Am I better getting a good grinder for french press and aeropress - and just buying beans already gound for my espresso?

A local coffee shop recommended the Wilfa Svart but I'm not seeing it mentioned much here (once) - is it worth considering?

What recommendations would you make given the budget?

Thanks in advance!

My Sage Smart Grinder Pro produces fine all the way to coarse & I think its great. It's generally around the €250 mark at the moment. It is the cheapest level of grinder I would recommend for espresso. There are a couple more machines at this price or a little higher... And my observation is that anything operating at a higher quality level jumps to at least €400 +++.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Could anyone recommend a good manual / hand grinder, for daily use with (usually) an Aeropress?

Hoping to replace an electric De'Longhi grinder and figure a manual option might be a more peaceful (De'Longhi is on the obnoxiously loud side) and better grind for the price range (<€60?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit outside your budget but I'd consider one of the below:

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/porlex-mini-grinder-ii

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CV3WPX1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A38OSZRHBCMTVK&psc=1

I've had the tall version of the porlex for well over a decade and its still going strong, its pretty much indestructible, but hand grinding does get old fairly quickly to be honest.

I’ve had porlex mini for years too. It is quite fast , as for the grind quality, not sure if it is any better than Hario or any other €20 manual grinder of EBay .

Nice one, thanks. The porlex mini looks like it'll do the job nicely and be handy enough to have in the drawer even if/when it does fall out of regular use.

alec76 wrote: »
    I’ve had porlex mini for years too. It is quite fast , as for the grind quality, not sure if it is any better than Hario or any other €20 manual grinder of EBay .

Thanks to an answer to my question yesterday I fell down the Youtube rabbit hole of James Hoffman's reviews. He reviews manual grinders here - Porlex comes out on top in this catgory of cheap manual grinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEBfom0mhM

Thanks for introducing me to James Hoffman's videos - but O, what have you done?! I fell down the youtube rabbit hole yesterday!

jmark wrote: »
    Thanks to an answer to my question yesterday I fell down the Youtube rabbit hole of James Hoffman's reviews. He reviews manual grinders here - Porlex comes out on top in this catgory of cheap manual grinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEBfom0mhM

I watched that yesterday too :pac:

Also the 'Ultimate Hand Grinder Showdown' which he said were all much better than the Porlex - but the next cheapest is around £100. Tempted.. but can't justify it :)

It was also his review of £50 Burr Grinders, which included the De'Longhi I have, that has me looking for something better in the first place. He hated them all, basically. And I fully agree with him on the noise at least. Putting beans into that thing and hearing it WHIRRRRR each morning is not my favourite part of the day.

Good videos.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I watched that yesterday too :pac:

Also the 'Ultimate Hand Grinder Showdown' which he said were all much better than the Porlex - but the next cheapest is around £100. Tempted.. but can't justify it :)

It was also his review of £50 Burr Grinders, which included the De'Longhi I have, that has me looking for something better in the first place. He hated them all, basically. And I fully agree with him on the noise at least. Putting beans into that thing and hearing it WHIRRRRR each morning is not my favourite part of the day.

Good videos.

Yup - sounds like you had the same day I had!

• Advertisement

Well, ordering the Porlex mini from Coffee Angel was a good choice. Ordered yesterday afternoon, arrived (within Dublin) this morning.

And it's just what I was looking for too. Good size, build quality, nice grind - definitely better than the De'Longhi, and not too much work for my 1 or maybe 2 cups a day.

Damn fine cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

With just getting into fresh grinder coffee for my v60 method I am wondering about;

Should I get a grinder, and switch to roasted wholebean coffee?

The Haven wrote: »

Should I get a grinder, and switch to roasted wholebean coffee?

yes

yes
    Thanks.

So my choices are:
    Wilfa Coffee Grinder €130~
    Sage The Smart Grinder Pro (checked camelcamelcamel, waiting on price drop to £140-150 to purchase, not at £200 though)
    Not the Barazta Encore - don't fancy that.

Decent choices?

The Haven wrote: »
    Thanks.

So my choices are:
    Wilfa Coffee Grinder €130~
    Sage The Smart Grinder Pro (checked camelcamelcamel, waiting on price drop to £140-150 to purchase, not at £200 though)
    Not the Barazta Encore - don't fancy that.

Decent choices?

If it is for filter then Wilfa Svart , obviously.

If it is for filter then Wilfa Svart , obviously.

Sound, ty

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Anyone point me the direction where I can buy a Niche Grinder? I am not 100% certain on it yet but everywhere I have searched and looked seems to be out of stock, maybe a shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

Klopp wrote: »
    Anyone point me the direction where I can buy a Niche Grinder? I am not 100% certain on it yet but everywhere I have searched and looked seems to be out of stock, maybe a shortage?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/niche-zero-the-best-conical-burr-coffee-grinder/x/25169438#/

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

At those prices i will have to wait for a while, there is no way i would get away with buying one without her finding out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Advertisement