Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance installing ring doorbell (See attached pic's)

Options
  • 23-07-2019 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just got a ring pro doorbell and was looking for some advice before starting the installation. I was wondering if anyone can confirm if the transformer in the attached photo is the correct voltage or should I get it swapped out for the ring's transformer?

Also, does anyone know how to bypass the bell chime? I tried to follow the rings instructions but my box wiring is different to their example.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

icanmunch wrote:
    Also, does anyone know how to bypass the bell chime? I tried to follow the rings instructions but my box wiring is different to their example.

Good news the transformer is ok.

It has 24Vac however its variable so it might only be connected at 8 or 12 volts

You need the 24V for the best operation.

A voltmeter at the doorbell push will determine this.

If its 8 v then you will need a registered electrical contractor to cable the transformer into the 24 V terminal.

It's a 5 minute job, but you cant work on the board if you are not a rec.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

Stoner wrote: »
    Good news the transformer is ok.

It has 24Vac however its variable so it might only be connected at 8 or 12 volts

You need the 24V for the best operation.

A voltmeter at the doorbell push will determine this.

If its 8 v then you will need a registered electrical contractor to cable the transformer into the 24 V terminal.

It's a 5 minute job, but you cant work on the board if you are not a rec.

Excellent thanks. I will test the voltage and go from there. Have you any idea which wires to disconnect to bypass the chime? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Would you not just keep the chime?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

icanmunch wrote:
    Excellent thanks. I will test the voltage and go from there. Have you any idea which wires to disconnect to bypass the chime? Thanks

Yes it's simple enough ifs its wired up in the standard way you just connect the two cables in the Chime together

https://images.app.goo.gl/XwykCtp3io8pcS237

If its wired like this, ignore the voltage ratings

Basically the transformer is connected to the chime, but one of the cables is broken/ held open by the bell push

When you press it you complete the circuit to the bell.

If you remove the chime/bell and connect the two cables connected to the bell together you will have the 8 or 12 or 24V at the two terminals at the doorbell.

Remember that its a RECs job at the board.

Advertisement