Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you get your drinking water?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On Newstalk one day on Lunchtime live, there was a Clareman who harvested rainwater and used it for drinking water. He ran the water through a homemade charcoal filtering system. Just regularly changing the charcoal. He made his own charcoal for the job too. I think he was in his seventies. Remarked he'd never have it any other way.

Charcoal is used in many commercial water filters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My tap water is generally fine (Northside Dublin) but at times it can be a bit cloudy. Never done me any harm...yet.

I think my water comes from Blessington reservoir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My tap water is generally fine (Northside Dublin) but at times it can be a bit cloudy. Never diddone me any harm...yet.
    For all you know it could be causing you cancer as we speak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My tap water is generally fine (Northside Dublin) but at times it can be a bit cloudy. Never done me any harm...yet.

I think my water comes from Blessington reservoir.

If the cloudiness dissipates when you leave the water to sit for a few minutes then it's just air that has got into the system.
    Usually happens if they ever have to turn off the supply for maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

If the water from your tap comes out cloudy then don't ****ing drink it may as well drink the water in the toilet bowel that isn't cloudy is it?:rolleyes:

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    If the water from your tap comes out cloudy then don't ****ing drink it may as well drink the water in the toilet bowel that isn't cloudy is it?:rolleyes:

No I'd still pick the water with a bit of air in it over toilet water, especially if the water in the toilet came from the tank in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Fluoride on the brain. I’m tapped!

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Fluoride on the brain. I’m tapped!

Ohhhh the calcification of me pineal gland.......
    My 3rd eye permanently shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

tuxy wrote: »
    Ohhhh the calcification of me pineal gland.......

Stop it I’m worried now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Reverse Osmosis under the kitchen sink. Got one of those 're-mineraliser' with it. Could not drink from tap in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

No I'd still pick the water with a bit of air in it over toilet water, especially if the water in the toilet came from the tank in the attic.

Ya just let the brain cancer settle on the bottom first :P

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Ya just let the brain cancer settle on the bottom first :P

I can get the uncontrolled duplication of my body's cells in a glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

bunderoon wrote: »
    Reverse Osmosis under the kitchen sink. Got one of those 're-mineraliser' with it. Could not drink from tap in my area.

Yea, that's the way I'm leaning after a few hours looking.

6 stage filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I buy the Lidl 5L bottles of water. That doesn’t appear to be on the FSAI website, am I safe ? :-|

according to Irish mirror - LIDL still water is affected:

- Aldi/Comeragh (Still and Sparkling)

- Applegreen (Still)

- Broderick (Still)

- Dunnes Stores (Still and Sparkling and Flavoured)

- Itica (Still)

- Lidl (Still)

- Londis (Still)

- Mace (Still)

- Macari (Still)

- Plane (Still)

- San Marino (Still)

- Spar (Still)

Consumers have been advised not to drink the water and to seek medical advice if they feel unwell.

The FSAI added: "Consumers are advised not to drink the implicated batches of water.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bottled-water-recall-lidl-dunnes-18820151?fbclid=IwAR2lb-_Kvh-lOivdbJ8iF-n1mpjHa8v8_U7cxQrOL1gqfywqXKQcrRoM6lM

We have had Boil Water Notice for our area in Sligo for a year now - our tap water has Cryptosporidium bug in it so Tap water has been no go for us

• Advertisement

I think I'd put more faith in the fsai report that includes batch numbers and expiration dates than something from the mirror that has almost no details.

I think I'd put more faith in the fsai report that includes batch numbers and expiration dates than something from the mirror that has almost no details.

true i suppose

Different people will make up their own mind though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

there were batch numbers given for lidl still water.

true i suppose

Different people will make up their own mind though

Celtic Pure in Co. Monahan is the water source with high levels of arsenic. This source is used by many different brands and the batch numbers have been listed in the reports.

Are you saying you suspect other sources used by bottled water companies are compromised too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

used to drink only bottled water now we have a Brita filter, it's just perfect. 100% recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I buy bottled from ALDI and add a herbal tea bag to a bottle, mainly mint or lemon/ginger as I struggle to drink plain water.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I buy bottled from ALDI and add a herbal tea bag to a bottle, mainly mint or lemon/ginger as I struggle to drink plain water.

Do you buy the expensive spring water or the cheaper filtered tap water?

rosmoke wrote: »
    used to drink only bottled water now we have a Brita filter, it's just perfect. 100% recommend it.

brita filter jug dont kill bugs though with hard shells - cryptosporidium bug has hard shell and can only be killed by UV light I think ... even Chloride or bleach doesnt kill it.

But yeah the brita filter jugs are normally good for filtering other water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Do you buy the expensive spring water or the cheaper filtered tap water?

The 6x 750ml bottles for about €1.85 so I suspect that's the cheaper stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I drink from the tap. I could easily drink 2 litres daily and apart from the price it would be a pain having to get it from the supermarket all the time. I usually keep a plastic bottle in my bag and just refill it as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

vargoo wrote: »
    I tried a different forum but no response.

I'm not a fan of the tap here and I don't want to buy bottled.

Those here that don't do either of the above, what do you do?

I'm thinking some kind of filter for the tap but what type?

Kangen is your only man.

mirror said that it come from the fsai site though .. dont think they made it up :D

rosmoke wrote: »

Only takes out 30% of known contaiminants.

Esse85 wrote: »
    The 6x 750ml bottles for about €1.85 so I suspect that's the cheaper stuff.

Couldn't you just filter the tap water at home? Same result, less cost.

vargoo wrote: »
    Only takes out 30% of known contaiminants.

What percentage is taken out by the bottling companies?

• Advertisement

People using bottled water just be careful around this time of year, if botted water is left in direct sunlight chemicals from the plastic bottle can leech into the water and cause cancer

- there was also a warning once i read about refilling used bottles of water , I dont know what it was now but more than likely in these eco warrior times we live in these days where people are being urged to re-fill their bottled water bottles the article has most probably been eradicated now - i think it had something to do with e-coli and bacteria what you can get from re-filling bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

bunderoon wrote: »

I have this also. From a company called Natures Water.

300 to fit. 100 a year to service. 50 for the re-mineraliser cartridge.

Irish Water "treatment" plants where i live consist of sand filters and a guy shoveling chlorine into the water supply. Add ancient lead pipes to take the water to my house and Im glad I have my filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

according to Irish mirror - LIDL still water is affected:

- Aldi/Comeragh (Still and Sparkling)

- Applegreen (Still)

- Broderick (Still)

- Dunnes Stores (Still and Sparkling and Flavoured)

- Itica (Still)

- Lidl (Still)

- Londis (Still)

- Mace (Still)

- Macari (Still)

- Plane (Still)

- San Marino (Still)

- Spar (Still)

Consumers have been advised not to drink the water and to seek medical advice if they feel unwell.

The FSAI added: "Consumers are advised not to drink the implicated batches of water.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bottled-water-recall-lidl-dunnes-18820151?fbclid=IwAR2lb-_Kvh-lOivdbJ8iF-n1mpjHa8v8_U7cxQrOL1gqfywqXKQcrRoM6lM

487146.jpg

487146.jpg

Haha - great episode , just trying to remember the name of the water in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Haha - great episode , just trying to remember the name of the water in it?

Peckham Springs?

This is it wrote: »
    Peckham Springs?

haha yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

People using bottled water just be careful around this time of year, if botted water is left in direct sunlight chemicals from the plastic bottle can leech into the water and cause cancer

- there was also a warning once i read about refilling used bottles of water , I dont know what it was now but more than likely in these eco warrior times we live in these days where people are being urged to re-fill their bottled water bottles the article has most probably been eradicated now - i think it had something to do with e-coli and bacteria what you can get from re-filling bottles

But if you leave bottled water, in a clear plastic bottle, in direct sunlight it will kill the bacteria.

But if you leave bottled water, in a clear plastic bottle, in direct sunlight it will kill the bacteria.

Hmmm, I dunno about that. There is a reason why you have to have your water header tank up in the loft in the dark. Can't remember why now though bit it's something to do with bacteria

What percentage is taken out by the bottling companies?

Half of them are tap, other half cant even be arsed to check if the sh1t they're bottling is safe before sending it out, "Uh, theirs abit of the ould arsenic in the water, duh"

WTF!? Should get the jail!! Im gonna sue!!!

You have to be a dumb SOB to continually drink bottled water, plastic leeching into, some don't even use the least reactive plastic. They've all baked in the sun in a 20+ degree warehouse for weeks before you bought them.

My folks treatment plant had an urgent alert all over radio/paper not to drink/wash food few weeks back cuz of huge levels of some crap they put in themselves, didn't know cuz a bulb blew, seemingly going on for weeks!!

California looking at starting/started to drink sewage water, mmm, sweet tasting unfiltered menopause drugs.

WW3 is gonna start over this. The river Nile is gonna get interesting.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I dunno about that. There is a reason why you have to have your water header tank up in the loft in the dark. Can't remember why now though bit it's something to do with bacteria

To prevent algae from growing?

To prevent algae from growing?

ah yes that was it . algae

"Eutrophication is the enrichment of water with nutrients, which leads to the excessive growth of algae"

Anyone else remember this saying from those little green 'key definition' boxes on the Chemistry syllabus in the mid-noughties?

"Eutrophication is the enrichment of water with nutrients, which often leads to algae"

Anyone else remember this saying from those little green 'key definition' boxes on the Chemistry syllabus in the mid-noughties?

boards can be quiet educational at times :)

yeah, anyway put plainly you dont want algae in your bottled water - best to leave them in a dark cool place away from sunlight ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The header tank is part of the heating system in your house, it's used to fill the heating system in your house , the second larger tank is a cold water store used to provide water to bathroom taps and toilet.
    Its nothing particularly to do with algae prevention more functional, height and gravity.

The header tank is part of the heating system in your house, it's used to fill the heating system in your house , the second larger tank is a cold water store used to provide water to bathroom taps and toilet.
    Its nothing particularly to do with algae prevention more functional, height and gravity.

ah right I got confused - it was the cold water storage tank thats what i was thinking of - but they are both up there in the dark and (should) have lids on them so they are away from sunlight.

You dont want stagnant algae in your central heating system and you dont want to be cleaning your teeth and having a bath or shower in algae either - so its more than just gravity and functional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It depends in which part of the country you're Lidl shop is in. Lidl in the south of the country is not supplied by Celtic Pure.

Yes if you are on holidays in the sun, if you put tap water in a clear bottle in the sunshine for 6 hours, all bacteria will be killed by the UV light.

Water John wrote: »
    It depends in which part of the country you're Lidl shop is in. Lidl in the south of the country is not supplied by Celtic Pure.

Yes if you are on holidays in the sun, if you put tap water in a clear bottle in the sunshine for 6 hours, all bacteria will be killed by the UV light.

.. but then do you risk plastic cancer causing chemicals leaking from the plastic bottle into the water and contaminating it? - especially after 6 hours .. let alone what it would taste like (ugh! - warm water!)

what is it they reckon the cancer causing chemical in plastic water bottles? - is it pva or something? am sure it started with a 'p'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I get my water from my own well, lovely cold water from 100 feet below granite rock. There is a natural spring in one of the fields, ice cold water, even during last summer.

as I mentioned before , our area has been on boil water notice for over a year now - works are to be started on a new plant in the autumn I think to include a UV treatment works (planned to be complete in 2020) Cryptosporidium bug keeps getting found in water samples

well I wouldnd trust the water coming out of the tap, so me and my dogs have the bottled water - but I keep coming into the kitchen and find my lad and my wife pouring pints of water out of the tap and drinking it and they have been doing it since the notice came into effect and they keep saying they prefer the tap water over bottled and that 'they are OK' and that it hasnt affected them. (well, right at the beginning of the boil notice for a week or so they had bottle water - but then ever sice have just been pouring it out of the kitchen tap)

We are even supposed to wash our teeth and fruit and vegetables in bottled water , but I have been washing my teeth with the bathroom sink water (which comes from cold storage tank in loft... which comes from water main/tap water) or we are supposed to boil the water 3 times and then cool to kill the crypto bug.

madmaggie wrote: »
    I get my water from my own well, lovely cold water from 100 feet below granite rock. There is a natural spring in one of the fields, ice cold water, even during last summer.

that must be lovely to have your own well water

• Advertisement
Advertisement