Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you get your drinking water?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Wouldn't it be cheaper to boil a few litres every morning then leave it to cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

tuxy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to boil a few litres every morning then leave it to cool?

I was going to say I still wouldnt trust it ... but then again , hearing about this latest thing about bottled water having arsenic in it now I dont personally know what is safest to do now.

I am hoping that this arsenic found is just minutely just over the accepted level to cause the recall, and not dangerously high levels of arsenic found because a lot of those bottled waters on the FSAI list I would have already drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, well water is very nice. Ours is soft, low ph, lovely for tea.

BTW washing your hair in water that hasn't chlorine really improves it.

If someone is concerned about bacteria in well water they should install a UV unit on the line.
    If I was disinfecting a larger water supply, I wouldn't use chlorine. I'd use something like Sanosil.
    https://www.sanosil.com/en/productlines/wasserbehandlung/

I would also use ozone instead of chlorine to disinfect a swimming pool.

The only reason products like this are not used is because chlorine is so cheap.

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, well water is very nice. Ours is soft, low ph, lovely for tea.

BTW washing your hair in water that hasn't chlorine really improves it.

If someone is concerned about bacteria in well water they should install a UV unit on the line.
    If I was disinfecting a larger water supply, I wouldn't use chlorine. I'd use something like Sanosil.
    https://www.sanosil.com/en/productlines/wasserbehandlung/

I would also use ozone instead of chlorine to disinfect a swimming pool.

The only reason products like this are not used is because chlorine is so cheap.

I am premung these type of UV units are quite expensive and out of financial reach of a lot of householders? - the only reason I am asking is that our tap water has Crypto bug in it and chlorine and bleach wont kill crypto bug because it has a hard outer shell like a snail - but apparently UV light can kill the bug, so I was thinking what about if people like in our area wanted to fit some kind of UV treatment into the water main pipe can it be done reasonably easy and reasonably cheaply ? - because its quite some time of the water utility company can install the UV equipment at the lough where we get our drinking water from, some time next year it wot be ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

according to Irish mirror - LIDL still water is affected:

- Aldi/Comeragh (Still and Sparkling)

- Applegreen (Still)

- Broderick (Still)

- Dunnes Stores (Still and Sparkling and Flavoured)

- Itica (Still)

- Lidl (Still)

- Londis (Still)

- Mace (Still)

- Macari (Still)

- Plane (Still)

- San Marino (Still)

- Spar (Still)

Consumers have been advised not to drink the water and to seek medical advice if they feel unwell.

The FSAI added: "Consumers are advised not to drink the implicated batches of water.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/bottled-water-recall-lidl-dunnes-18820151?fbclid=IwAR2lb-_Kvh-lOivdbJ8iF-n1mpjHa8v8_U7cxQrOL1gqfywqXKQcrRoM6lM

Yeah but the FSAI website says
    Lidl 750ml
    500ml
    2L

But it doesn’t mention the 5L bottles. Boom.
    See yous all in hell.

You can't use the UV really after the water is chlorinated. The household UV units aren't dear, a few hundred euro and change the bulb each year. Great protection for an individual well supply.
    The dosage of UV to kill crypto is a multiple of what is used to kill bacteria. Really done at water treatment works at an industrial scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You can't use the UV really after the water is chlorinated. The household UV units aren't dear, a few hundred euro and change the bulb each year. Great protection for an individual well supply.
    The dosage of UV to kill crypto is a multiple of what is used to kill bacteria. Really done at water treatment works at an industrial scale.

I have vague memories of reading somewhere that using UV releases Ozone into the atmosphere as a side-effect? Really that there's no free lunch when it comes to sterilizing water. Deionizers use nasty chemicals, RO isn't 100%, chlorine has its downsides, etc. RO might help with metals well enough though.

Well UV would be used in Ozone plants to kill off the residual ozone before it gets released into the atmosphere AFAIK.
    RO is quite power hungry. It is an over sell in most situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Well UV would be used in Ozone plants to kill off the residual ozone before it gets released into the atmosphere AFAIK.
    RO is quite power hungry. It is an over sell in most situations.

Hmm. No power used in home RO in the US, at least, though it *does* use a lot of water. US has mains water at 65psi, which I suspect is much higher pressure than typical Ireland mains water. Lower-pressure water systems do require auxiliary pumps to make RO work.

FWIW, I had a home RO system in the US, while on a well which at best managed 35 psi and mostly around 30. Fortunately, it generated a LOT of RO of good quality in a relatively short period of time, the pump raised the pressure to like 100 PSI :D

Thanks for the reply that's interesting information

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

FSAI issues further recall of bottled water over arsenic levels

Aldi/Comeragh (Still and Sparkling)
    Applegreen (Still)
    Broderick (Still)
    Dunnes Stores (Still, Sparkling and Flavoured)
    Itica (Still)
    Lidl (Still)
    Londis (Still)
    Mace (Still)
    Macari (Still)
    Plane (Still)
    San Marino (Still)
    Spar (Still)

Perrier shot themselves in the foot when the added Benzine to the worlds leading brand of water.

Coco Cola had to retire the Desani brand here and in the UK because they couldn't bottle tap water. They added bromates.
    It's now called Deep River Rock

FSAI issues further recall of bottled water over arsenic levels

Aldi/Comeragh (Still and Sparkling)
    Applegreen (Still)
    Broderick (Still)
    Dunnes Stores (Still, Sparkling and Flavoured)
    Itica (Still)
    Lidl (Still)
    Londis (Still)
    Mace (Still)
    Macari (Still)
    Plane (Still)
    San Marino (Still)
    Spar (Still)

That's the exact same list that was available yesterday morning and posted here a few times now. By further they mean more than the small list that was originally released a week ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It depends in which part of the country you're Lidl shop is in. Lidl in the south of the country is not supplied by Celtic Pure.

Yes if you are on holidays in the sun, if you put tap water in a clear bottle in the sunshine for 6 hours, all bacteria will be killed by the UV light.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I still go to the spring in the field and drink the water out of my hands. My cousins won't touch it, they reckon I've built up an immunity to any bugs in it. No bugs, just a few water spiders!

madmaggie wrote: »
    I still go to the spring in the field and drink the water out of my hands. My cousins won't touch it, they reckon I've built up an immunity to any bugs in it. No bugs, just a few water spiders!

Don't drink water from a source for anywhere near a farm!
    If hiking be sure to be well above farm land before drinking from springs.

hmm, Pesticides used in the field? - cryptosporidium that live in animal guts and digestive tract and then they poop it out? , slurry spreading? - no, I dont think I would be drinking any water in a field

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We have had Boil Water Notice for our area in Sligo for a year now - our tap water has Cryptosporidium bug in it so Tap water has been no go for us

Ridiculous and scandalous that tap water in an urban area in a developed country is deemed unsafe to drink.

Of course Galway city had that horrible cryptosporidium contamination outbreak in the 2000s that made many people very very ill. What wasn’t revealed at the time was that the probable source of the cryptosporidium was from faecal matter polluting the water source for the city from thousands of substandard leaking septic tanks from one-off rural houses in the Galway hinterlands...

Arsenic is a naturally occurring mineral that leaches out of rocks into the water courses and wells. It is a huge problem in rural India where deep tube wells in villages installed by the UN development agencies and NGOs have poisoned millions of people.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ridiculous and scandalous that tap water in an urban area in a developed country is deemed unsafe to drink.

I should check and double check my facts but here I go anyway, the reason I hear that its been going on for so long (and there are a lot of rumours as you can guess) but is that the water company applied for planning permission to build a new treatment plant at the location of the lough , but there was an endangered type of snail in the lough where the drinking water comes from for the area .. so planning permission was refused.

It seems these species of snails have more rights, than safe drinking water that humans can consume ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

In most cases I have my doubts that bottled water is any better or safer than tap water.
    Public supply water here is regularly tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

In most cases I have my doubts that bottled water is any better or safer than tap water.

Exactly. The manufactures are laughing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's the exact same list that was available yesterday morning and posted here a few times now. By further they mean more than the small list that was originally released a week ago.
    Perrier was 1990 so more than a week ago

Dasani was 2004 and like a lot of bottled water it was little more than this

9501_5287_500.jpeg

Perrier was 1990 so more than a week ago

Dasani was 2004 and like a lot of bottled water it was little more than this

I understand that but why post a list that was already posted a number of times and try to link a completely unrelated point?
    The celtic pure water comes from a well, if it came from the tap it wouldn't contain high levels of arsenic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

hmm, Pesticides used in the field? - cryptosporidium that live in animal guts and digestive tract and then they poop it out? , slurry spreading? - no, I dont think I would be drinking any water in a field
    No chemicals used in the area, no animals in the vicinity, no slurry spreading. Been drinking itfor fifty years. I know it could happen, but I love that water.

madmaggie wrote: »
    No chemicals used in the area, no animals in the vicinity, no slurry spreading. Been drinking itfor fifty years. I know it could happen, but I love that water.

well if you have been drinking it for 50 years and your still alive and well I guess its OK then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I should check and double check my facts but here I go anyway, the reason I hear that its been going on for so long (and there are a lot of rumours as you can guess) but is that the water company applied for planning permission to build a new treatment plant at the location of the lough , but there was an endangered type of snail in the lough where the drinking water comes from for the area .. so planning permission was refused.

It seems these species of snails have more rights, than safe drinking water that humans can consume ...
    No you're right about the snail Andy. And best of all, that species is meant to be a carrier of Cryptosporidium and all.

I'm in the same area as yourself. Have been lugging 5ltr bottles of water home from work in the daily. It's tough going with 3 small kids here, one a baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

It depends in which part of the country you're Lidl shop is in. Lidl in the south of the country is not supplied by Celtic Pure.

Yes if you are on holidays in the sun, if you put tap water in a clear bottle in the sunshine for 6 hours, all bacteria will be killed by the UV light.

Can you give proof of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It would seem so.
    Is it known if the recall was triggered by Celtic Pure, or was it down stream (;)) detection from retail by FSAI that caught this ?

It would seem so.
    Is it known if the recall was triggered by Celtic Pure, or was it down stream (;)) detection from retail by FSAI that caught this ?

The report on the news said it was only one of the wells at the Co. Monahan plant that was contaminated.
    I don't know enough to have any idea what causes high arsenic levels in a well though.

Proof of which? I have family working in Lidl.
    Second, look at my name. That Water refers to potable water.

I have a vague recollection of arsenic being mentioned in relation to Monaghan in my past.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    No you're right about the snail Andy. And best of all, that species is meant to be a carrier of Cryptosporidium and all.

I'm in the same area as yourself. Have been lugging 5ltr bottles of water home from work in the daily. It's tough going with 3 small kids here, one a baby

I bet it is , I really feel for you. I have been having the 5ltr bottled and my dogs have, but my wife and son still prefer the tap water over bottled or filtered water so they have been carrying on drinking it out of the tap all throughout the ban - I have been telling them they are silly to do so , but they havent had upset stomach, sickness or anything through drinking it - but yeah your right to be cautious having a baby and that - must have been / be a right pain.

I have heard that supervalu in Boyle are refilling 5ltr bottles for 50cent if you bring them in , so I am going to look further into it and see if Whitesides Supervalu in Ballisodare can do the same or similar.

Glencar water are also offering something similar as well in some of these areas if your interested and it helps, according to Lough Talt water warriors on Facebook.

I will be glad wehn its all sorted out this new plant at lough gill , its not only a pain having to get these 5ltr bottles but also disposing the things afterwards having to put them into the recycling bins especially for families - some of these families recycling bins are overflowing with these empty bottles now!

• Advertisement

Proof of which? I have family working in Lidl.
    Second, look at my name. That Water refers to potable water.

What about Aldi?

A dose of Crypto isn't funny. It only takes one of the buggers to cause it.
    Yeah, Tipp by and large has very good ground water.

Yeah, Tipp by and large has very good ground water.

Yeah I was thinking of Aldi where more water comes from Celtic Pure than the Tipperary source. I've not checked Lidl locally.

I know, I do keep telling them, but what can you do. if it looks right and clear they drink it! - only plus side is, on some site I read that if you have a healthy immune system if you get infected it might be a couple of days of diarrhoea and sickness and stomach ache , but supposed to be very bad for the old and young and people with impaired health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Arsenic isn't a problem in the amounts being found in bottled water.
    Its above agreed limits, but miles away from poisoning you.
    Arsenic can be consumed in surprisingly high dosages, as long as its slowly built up to the higher levels, and was consumed in Victorian times as it gives you sleek glossy hair and a clear complexion.......

Try getting it in your local chemist and you might run into trouble, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I bet it is , I really feel for you. I have been having the 5ltr bottled and my dogs have, but my wife and son still prefer the tap water over bottled or filtered water so they have been carrying on drinking it out of the tap all throughout the ban - I have been telling them they are silly to do so , but they havent had upset stomach, sickness or anything through drinking it - but yeah your right to be cautious having a baby and that - must have been / be a right pain.

I have heard that supervalu in Boyle are refilling 5ltr bottles for 50cent if you bring them in , so I am going to look further into it and see if Whitesides Supervalu in Ballisodare can do the same or similar.

Glencar water are also offering something similar as well in some of these areas if your interested and it helps, according to Lough Talt water warriors on Facebook.

I will be glad wehn its all sorted out this new plant at lough gill , its not only a pain having to get these 5ltr bottles but also disposing the things afterwards having to put them into the recycling bins especially for families - some of these families recycling bins are overflowing with these empty bottles now!

I'm originally from Boyle myself. Over 2 yrs on a boil water notice there. Move to Tubbercurry then and another one!

Give that water a wide berth mate, in Super Valu. It's been tested and found to be no more than tap water

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Arsenic isn't a problem in the amounts being found in bottled water.

I figured as much as no one has been hospitalised. I assume the rules on low levels are in place to catch it in time and force the company to do something about it.

I'm originally from Boyle myself. Over 2 yrs on a boil water notice there. Move to Tubbercurry then and another one!

Give that water a wide berth mate, in Super Valu. It's been tested and found to be no more than tap water

If it's tap water from a good source that may not be a bad deal if your own tap water is compromised. Better than wasting plastic anyway.
    Of course it's ridiculous that any tap water in a first word country is unsafe though.

:eek: oh right thanks for the heads up - and thats bad news/bad luck about moving into a place that has another boil water notice!

its terrible in this day and age in a developed country not being able to drink water out of the tap isnt it!

I figured as much as no one has been hospitalised. I assume the rules on low levels are in place to catch it in time and force the company to do something about it.

Unless they are adding Arsenic to the water at the bottling plant, has there ever been a case of Arsenic Poisoning from a natural spring source anywhere in Britain or Ireland?

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Unless they are adding Arsenic to the water at the bottling plant, has there ever been a case of Arsenic Poisoning from a natural spring source anywhere in Britain or Ireland?

do you mean in a way that a dis-gruntled worker could have added it on purpose? :eek:

be good if they could put up some kind of figure of mmg or whatever per 5ltr it has to be before water has to be recalled and then say how much has been found in the tested bottled water

'higher than normal levels found' but it doesn't say in the article what is 'normal levels' and neither does it say 'how much higher' was found.. it seems very classified information but i think we the public should be informed what is acceptable level of arsenic in water and what was found in these tested ones - maybe it would cause unnecessary panic and maybe more outrage though if they did. Maybe thats why we only get a fraction of the story.

be good if they could put up some kind of figure of mmg or whatever per 5ltr it has to be before water has to be recalled and then say how much has been found in the tested bottled water

The current EU limit on arsenic in drinking water is 10 micrograms per litre.
    So probably slightly above that would be my guess.

The current EU limit on arsenic in drinking water is 10 micrograms per litre.
    So probably slightly above that would be my guess.

ah right , thank you - I couldnt find that figure ..

ah right , thank you - I couldnt find that figure ..

Screen shot from a US website.

DS3Z7CR.jpg

Advertisement