Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is this harassment bill due to come in?

• 24-07-2019 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I can't provide a link because I'm new.

A legislation bill in relation to harassment was discussed in the Dail in May (I think). Is there any progress there?

When is this going to come in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ruth Coppinger introduced a Bill, the Domestic Violence (No-contact order) (Amendment) Bill 2019, in May. The Bill aims to amend existing law so that a putative victim of domestic violence can apply for a court order preventing the alleged perpetrator from having any contact or communication at all with the victim, including by electronic means. The order could be made at any time after domestic violence proceedings have been instituted, and before there has been any finding by a court that domestic violence has occurred.

This is a private member's Bill, not a government Bill, and there is very limited parliamentary time available for debating and voting on private members' bill. They very rarely actually become come law, and they are mostly introduced as a way of calling attention to an issue and increasing pressure on the government to address the issue, rather than with any expectation that they will be enacted.

So, the short answer is, it's probably not going to come in. The slightly longer answer is, it may in due course lead to the government introducing its own proposals to legislate in this area.

Advertisement