Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss didnt pay me

• 24-07-2019 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just looking for advice
    In April I started a job as a commis chef in a small cafe.At the interview the boss said he will sometimes be late to pay me but only by a few days but assured me that I will be paid in full amount.2 weeks go by and my boss talks to me about pay it is a small cafe so everyone gets cash at hand,He gives me a fraction of what I am owed and says he will pay me later.

A few weeks go by and I didnt get a chance to talk to my boss about it,I was only working part time and the owner was never there.I was very immature and wanted to keep this job so I stayed there.I ask my boss to arrange the roster so i can have 5 days off to go on holidays,he agrees.I wasnt on the roster for the week i was going or the week after that he soon took me off the roster without saying anything to me.I texted him after this asking for my pay,he said of course and i responded by saying when will you be able to pay me,he didnt respond.I made a complaint to the labour authorities a month ago but havent gotten a response
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are you a student? It sounds like every nightmare cafe/bar job I had when I was in college.Begging to be paid every month/week for my minimum wages, bloody hell. Jackass bosses taking advantage of young people too polite to kick up a stink about them stealing from you. Get out of there, as fast as you can, if you havnt already.They have no respect for you and are robbing you with a smile. And never take a job without a contract again, Id also say dont work in small businesses either if you can avoid it

Btw, youll never get your money back unless you hound him for it daily and go in in person to the cafe and confront him. Been there many times, takes force to get it from their sticky hands. The labour authorities will do nothing, because this happens to so many people, and the amount of money involved in these type of cases is so relatively small that it means its just not worthwhile trying to get third parties involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Report him to Revenue. You may never get your money back but let him get a taste of his medicine! The rest (most) of us pay our taxes - why shouldn't he?

The fact you were not an official employee means everything you did was under the counter so there is no come back for you personally unfortunately. The hospitality industry is crying out for catering staff including commis chefs. Why not seek out a job in an official place of employment that does hiring/wages etc by the book (hotel chains etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,602 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If you are interviewed for a job to be told..”yeah sometimes I’ll be late paying you” and you accepted the job then it’s on you. It’s like being told, “the job is yours but I’ll probably be fûcking you about from time to time”... because that IS the scenario here. If they don’t think enough of you to enable to pay your salary on time get the fûck out of there. See how it goes by telling them....”well a couple of times a month I’ll be rolling in 20 minutes late!” I doubt the ‘flexibility would be reciprocated’.

If they can’t get something as basic as the pay right, find a new job ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tell him unless you get what's owed within 24 hours you will protest outside his cafe.

What street is this establishment on. Do not name it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement