Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest inflight wifi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Wtf ? wrote: »
    Qatar are quickest , Here's the top 50 (appearently)
    https://www.traveloka.com/special/tech-friendly-airlines

I would read that as Qatar are best overall not just on speed. BA speed seems faster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Norwegian wins this on all counts, 10Mbs and FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm sceptical about that page.

Emirates' wifi is not one of their stronger selling points. The A380 has <1Mbps of bandwidth shared between the whole plane, which is only useful if nobody else is trying to do anything with it when you are.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Was on El Al recently and it was decent, could watch YouTube no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

emirates did not even work for me when on their 777 or A380s

I don't know why aer lingus even offer wifi, the bandwidth u pay for is gone in seconds pretty much! it is a total joke

United is slow enough but at least it is free

have not experienced any others personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

In my work machine, we installed WiFi a few months ago, the concept works on sharing a channel, so everyone in the plane uses that same channel and its also shared by other planes in the same area, the result is that the bandwidth is crap, Whatsapp works, VOIP only if the airplane is empty.
    There is a faster service but it involves us "hogging" a number of channels just for us, that lovely service offers about 450 kb and costs about 2200 per hour, which is actually more than the fuel costs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

On my last two flights with BA I was getting an amazing 0 Kbit/s, i.e. it wasn't working at all. Would be nice to have when you're flying for 10+ hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I once managed to stream (audio) a whole premier league game on a Delta flight across the Atlantic with no interruptions. On an Emirates A380 you'll just about manage to send a whatsapp. I found the 777s slightly better.

I agree re Aerlingus, the amount you get seems so pathetic not to be worth bothering with (so I've never bothered). By the time I've remembered to turn auto update etc off on the phone it would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most devices can now have a WiFi connection marked as metered to cut the data usage. Needs quite new android though I think

Turns off updates, syncing that isn't on demand and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Lufthansa's short haul Wi-Fi is very good. They charge by speed rather than data usage which is great as you don't have to worry about using it up. There's three plans, 150 Kbps for €3, 600 Kbps for €7 and 15 Mbps for €12. I purchased the €7 one and it was perfectly fine for web browsing, emails, texting etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement