Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you trust an estate agent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Whitehorse wrote: »
    Keep as much communication regarding offers on email . What's said in conversation or over the phone can be denied all day. If they have nothing to hide or fear they will confirm everything with an e-mail. I know people selling who asked that ever offer made to EA was to be forwarded by email. EA not happy at all. They changed EA and the next one had no issue with it.

Absolutely agree on that. If the EA does not want to communicate and confirm via email, you should feel alarmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Graham wrote: »
    The fact you have to trawl back almost a decade and a half to find something to support your theory speaks volumes.

Does it speak Volumes? And what does it say? I have not offered any theory. I am merely making the assertion that EAs work for themselves, not the seller. That is my opinion. I have pointed to an investigation that has uncovered evidence that some EAs have not acted in the best interest of their clients, but have acted in their own best interests. Just because that particular piece was a number of years against does not mean it does not go on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is that because the world is a much better and more honest place now?

More so because it was 14 years ago, the world most certainly is a different place, both companies denied wrongdoing, no prosecutions that I can find, neither company named has existed for years, simply mortgages ceased in 2010, I can’t any site for Michael Kelly & associates estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Does it speak Volumes? And what does it say? I have not offered any theory. I am merely making the assertion that EAs work for themselves, not the seller. That is my opinion. I have pointed to an investigation that has uncovered evidence that some EAs have not acted in the best interest of their clients, but have acted in their own best interests. Just because that particular piece was a number of years against does not mean it does not go on now.

Who is doing it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I don’t know. Perhaps no one is. But to the original question posed - Can you trust an estate agent? - my answer is no, or certainly not fully. I have no doubt that many of them are trustworthy and that you might have no choice but to put your trust in them for the sake of buying or selling. But for as long as there is a system in which bids or bidders cannot be confirmed, then clearly there is always the possibility of sharp practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Don't trust estate agents.
    Every house ever always has someone else "very interested" lol. Just the nature of the game.

No one interested until you put in a bid then all of a sudden bidders are jumping out of the ditches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

IMHO no they cannot he trusted.

My mother was an estate agent for 30 years so I don’t say that lightly. I am having a lot of issues with the estate agent I am buying my first house from.

Constant false promises and lies. Also never ever responds to emails, texts or phone calls. It’s gotten to the point that we are close to pulling out of our dream house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I have met many, when buying and selling recently.
    From my experiences, some seemed more trustworthy than others. No proof obviously, but that's how I felt.
    Some of the lines they feed you, you wouldn't even hear from a car salesman, but that's the name of the game.

+1 on this have had my fair share of dealings with EA over the year and all v mixed ! From Genuine , to shady , to v pushy and just frank to the point no messing if you are in or out . Great at the old empathy lark when they find out single buyer etc and must be so hard etc in current market - they can see it in my face when they start that chat with me as I have heard it all before. at the end of the day they are sales guys and all about sealing the deal and getting best deal for them and the seller ! I learn something new at any dealing I had with them and still learning and trust me every dealing I had has been unique and I have had my fair share of dealings over the last 18 months .
    One bit of advice is get a good engineer a friend advised me at the end of the day he/she is only one working for you in the transaction and it was such sound advice as I had to withdraw from a few houses - if you go sale agreed the engineer will stir you in the right direction if the house is a good buy or not and block out anything else from EA at this point...

Advertisement