Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shock from shower recently installed

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

rusty cole wrote: »
    I have not reported them yet. I mailed safe electric and got a reply within hours.

The reply is as follows

If the electrician who did the work is not registered then you will need to report them to the CRU for illegal works. You can fill in the illegal works form on our website here.
    To have the works certified you will need to go through a change of contractor. You can find all the information relating to that and the application form on our website here.

I am actually now worried about the plumbing as we've had to put 2 ltrs of caustic down since the installation, the so called HIGH FLOW outlet seems very very slow to me. If the tiling was shyte, and the electrics are bad, what's the bloody plumbing like... was this so called plumber even that!!!
    should he have a cert also??

Get onto them ASAP and get them reported is my advice

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

alta stare wrote: »
    In my line of work i have seen at first hand and i have come across dodgy electrical work carried out by electricians, non reci and reci.

Unfortunately this is the reality. A bad electrician won’t suddenly become a good electrician just because he / she joins RECI, any other club or any other organization.

I will sound very “old school” saying this, but many millennial electrical apprentices (not all) have a very poor work ethic. I think that this is due to a number of factors, such as the ease at which they can find a new employment and the attitude of the electrician that trains them. Due to the greed of some employers some apprentices are simply thrown in the deep end or provided with very limited training which doesn’t help either.

When I was an apprentice (in the Bronze Age) I was mindful of the fact that finding a new job and therefore qualifying as an electrician could impossible. Generally speaking an apprentice that has a good work ethic will become a conscientious electrician.

I'm passing a FLAC session on my way home tonight so I'm going to speak to one of the solicitors there just to see what I'd be up against.

Id just love my money back and be shot of them really, I know I'm going to have to let them back in I'm just deciding should I report them before or after.
    They said the original guy who did all the work is no longer with them!

I'm quite cute in life in general, how this happened to us I have no bloody idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I'm just deciding should I report them before or after.

As already said. You have to report them before they are allowed back in.

meercat wrote: »
    As already said. You have to report them before they are allowed back in.

I know but If I do how long before the CRU would come have a look? in which time I need the work fixed and certified for my insurance at least.
    I'd have all the correspondence as proof etc, wouldn't that do for the CRU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thread is a week old. Had you reported them then you'd be on the pigs back by now. Don't waste anymore time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Thread is a week old. Had you reported them then you'd be on the pigs back by now. Don't waste anymore time

This. You've been faffing about here for a week. If you'd used the time to report them you'd be on the road to getting it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I done an apprenticeship and failed one exam unfortunately twice and was then let go 2 months before the recession hit... This in a way was a good thing as I went on elsewhere but I done 4 years and after the 1st year was left alone a lot of the time to carry out work.

I done it right and as tidy as possible including cleaning up afterwards.

This isn't the norm from what I see but it's how I was taught....
    The only thing I didn't do was pull cables tight and cut as short as possible which is how the boss wanted it done..... He was from county cavvin.... Take that as you like ;-) but he was tight and watched every minute and hour etc...

If a job needs doing I believe in it been done right and all this half arsed terrible jobs shouldn't be happening especially if someone is paying good money....

I would understand if someone was getting the job done on the cheap and were going under the vat and tax etc....

You do tend to pay for what you get but that work op is terrible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm passing a FLAC session on my way home tonight so I'm going to speak to one of the solicitors there just to see what I'd be up against.

Not the way to go in my opinion. Once you “go legal” the Sky is the limit for legal fees. Besides you would have a far stronger legal case following a CRU inspection.
    I know I'm going to have to let them back in

Really? Why???:confused::confused:
    They said the original guy who did all the work is no longer with them!

So what? This is completely irrelevant.

Stop procrastinating and deal with it.

As 2011 said why do you have to leave them back in? Get proper contractors in and get a solicitor and the CRU to send the old lads the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    contentious electrician.
    I presume that should have read "conscientious"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'm just deciding should I report them before or after.
    It's really not complicated. How on earth (excuse the pun) do you expect meaningful action to be possible if you have the work altered first? Report first. Full stop. End of story.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I presume that should have read "conscientious"!

Yes!
    Sorry, corrected now.

Any update op?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Any update op?

I’d be interested to know too. Cheers

Advertisement