Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow pest ID

Options
  • 24-07-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've got a small cascading willow that's being eaten by a pest. I'm unsure what it is but I think it might be the beetle in the attached photo. And I'm wondering if these orange spots are eggs?
    Can anyone advise me? Thanks.

Mh3COV6.jpg

VjpBJob.jpg

fJYn92O.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I replied yesterday, don't know where it disappeared to.

It's a weevil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

And no they're not eggs, they lay them in the soil, it's rust.

I replied yesterday, don't know where it disappeared to.
    It's a weevil.

Thanks. Just looked them up. I'll keep the nocturnal gardening up to remove as many as I see.
    And no they're not eggs, they lay them in the soil, it's rust.

Thanks for the info about the eggs/grubs. Not sure about the rust on the leaves, can't understand where it would be coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Effects wrote: »
    Thanks. Just looked them up. I'll keep the nocturnal gardening up to remove as many as I see.

Thanks for the info about the eggs/grubs. Not sure about the rust on the leaves, can't understand where it would be coming from.

Rust is an airborne fungus, so will literally have been blown in. If it's only on a few leaves pick them off and burn them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Effects wrote: »

The rust is a fungus and is carried in the air. It rarely causes significant damage but collect fallen leaves on dispose of them by burning or even composting. Just don't leave them on the ground to spread the fungus.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Rust is an airborne fungus, so will literally have been blown in. If it's only on a few leaves pick them off and burn them.

Ah ok, thought it might have been something like that. Cheers!

Advertisement