Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will medical insurance premiums increase if I file a claim?

• 24-07-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

My other half was admitted in a public hospital, semi private room and we used our VHI insurance for the first time. We have basic one plus cover. It was an emergency surgery and required 4 days inpatient hospital treatment.

Will the premium increase at next renewal?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,053 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There may be a general increase but in Ireland everyone gets the same rate on the same policy. There's no such thing as a "no claims bonus" or loading premiums because of claims (clearly motor insurance is very different)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Glad to hear that it's different from Motor insurance, thought no claim bonus will be effected now.

It's a great service so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Forgot to ask,
    Consultant need to review after 2 weeks in his clinic. Is that usually covered by vhi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,290 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Forgot to ask,
    Consultant need to review after 2 weeks in his clinic. Is that usually covered by vhi?

Depends entirely on plan, could be not at all, or a part payment (reclaim basis). You'll need to check the policy docs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

Forgot to ask,

depends on your cover. some cover part of fee some dont. you can claim tax relief on anything not covered (20% iirc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I got my renewal this month. My policy is with VHI. They announced increases recently. My policy increased by about 6 euros per month. That covers my 2 kids too.
    Regarding the Consultant, it depends on your policy. Give them a ring to ask them if it's covered. My policy covers 50% of unlimited Consultants visits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Forgot to ask,

As others have said, it depends on your plan.

But it also depends on the consultant. I had a minor procedure in a private clinic a few years ago and went back to the consultant a few weeks later for a scheduled follow-up. When I was leaving, I expected to have to pay for his time but his secretary said that the follow-up consultation was included in the fee he charged the VHI so I didn't have to pay for it.

Advertisement