Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Student card

• 24-07-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey,

I’ve just realised that I still have a student card with BOI. I’ve graduated 2 years ago and never received an updated card.
    Is it safe to call and request a proper card or will I be charged for the two years that I’ve used it since graduating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Anna1997 wrote: »
    Hey,

I’ve just realised that I still have a student card with BOI. I’ve graduated 2 years ago and never received an updated card.
    Is it safe to call and request a proper card or will I be charged for the two years that I’ve used it since graduating?

Don't contact them. My wife had hers for 10 years. Didn't back date the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anna1997

physioman wrote: »
    Don't contact them. My wife had hers for 10 years. Didn't back date the charges.

How did she receive the normal card after 10 years? Did they just cancel her student one and sent out a new one?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

How did she receive the normal card after 10 years? Did they just cancel her student one and sent out a new one?

Thank you

Yip. Enjoy the free banking. You'll pay enough on fees in the future

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hey,

Read the terms and conditions for your account. I expect you'll find an obligation in there requiring you to inform the bank of any change in your status and also what happens when your time as a student ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Hey,

I had my student CC and bank account with BOI up to 8 years after graduation. I didnt have any back dated fees applied. I dont believe I got any notification that they were moving me to the regular account type, but they claim they sent me something 6 months in advance of the change. I was also able to request increases in the student credit card limit with no hassle.

• Advertisement

I still have a student account years after graduation but I’ve had normal debit cards for years not student ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

It’s not clear, but I presume the OP is taking about a credit card rather than their current account.

There would be no difference in how the debit card works but a cc could have a low limit, however, there would be no charges on a cc, outside of government duty.

If it’s a student current account I wouldn’t say anything as there’s no benefit to moving to a standard account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anna1997

Sarn wrote: »
    It’s not clear, but I presume the OP is taking about a credit card rather than their current account.

There would be no difference in how the debit card works but a cc could have a low limit, however, there would be no charges on a cc, outside of government duty.

If it’s a student current account I wouldn’t say anything as there’s no benefit to moving to a standard account.

It’s a debit card and I’m not charged any fees for using it right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jim2007 wrote:
    Read the terms and conditions for your account. I expect you'll find an obligation in there requiring you to inform the bank of any change in your status and also what happens when your time as a student ends.

Nothing will happen if the bank aren't informed, op enjoy your free banking while you can

Advertisement