Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the exhaust fumes from petrol strimmers and lawn mowers a concern for me?

Options
  • 24-07-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm a gardener and this job involves a lot of strimming and mowing. The lawn mowers aren't too bad but I find the exhaust fumes from petrol strimmers a nightmare. Is this going to be harmful to my health? I've been at this about 5 years now and am wondering if I should try out something else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two stroke is the work of the devil that's for sure

This might be suitable if you can get hold of it.

https://www.growtrade.ie/why-choose-aspen/
    Good for your engine
    You’ll also be doing your engine a big favour. As Aspen’s alkylate petrol is so much purer, your engine will run better when using this fuel. It will be easier to start and the engine will be far freer of soot thanks to the clean combustion.

As Aspen fuels are up to ten times more durable than standard petrol, you don’t even need to empty the tank when preparing for winter storage. And once the season arrives once more in the spring, your engine will start up with greater ease.

So you’ve realised that you could benefit from switching to Aspen fuel. But there are all these different options, which one should you choose?

The reason this question is necessary is quite simple: different engines need different kinds of fuel. Aspen’s two main products are called Aspen 2 and Aspen 4. Aspen 2 is generally used in two-stroke engines, and Aspen 4 in four-stroke engines.

There are a number of other important reasons these fuels shouldn’t be mixed at random. One such reason is that Aspen 2 features 2% fully synthetic engine oil content. Most two-stroke engines are designed to run on fuel in which a few per cent of the total volume is made up of oil, to act as a lubricant.

http://www.cphltd.ie/aspen-info/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I used to use a 2-stroke hedge trimmer for years and always finished with a headache. Used to think it was a combo of noise and fatigue/dehydration. I since switched to a 4-stroke engine and the headaches are a thing of the past. I hate to think of the sh1te I inhaled before.

If 4-stroke machines aren't an option, consider a respirator or face-mask to prevent you inhaling too many particulates and smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Newer 2-strokes run on less oil - 50:1 - hence less smoke. Older engines use 25:1.
    Also synthetic 2 stroke oil is less smoky.

4 stroke engines with same power will generally be heavier.

Advertisement