Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date a robot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

If Intelligent sexy robots existed today ? Would you date one?

Would it feel unnatural? Are you technophobic? Is it like having a smartphone?acceptable and trendy?

09024555.jpg

At this stage I'd consider anything :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You'd have to be a great man for codding yourself to go along with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Absolutely, provided she doesn't have a robot mother in law for me to visit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ScottCapper

Nah I’d give it to her tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭niallers1

If there was a mute button I'd consider it:D

• Advertisement

Didn’t you ever see the episode of Futurama?

It won’t end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Id have to be dug out of 7 of 9, in fact, It would be all over before i got the socks off
    Do clone robot things count?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

w7Bmjgl.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

As long as she's not a robot single mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Didn’t you ever see the episode of Futurama?

It won’t end well

Or Stepford Wives...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Id have to be dug out of 7 of 9, in fact, It would be all over before i got the socks off
    Do clone robot things count?

7 of 9 wasnt a robot though she was assimilated by the borg.

in that case it could be considered group sex

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JeanL wrote: »
    Or Stepford Wives...
    Or Battlestar Galactica

Or Westworld

Or Metropolis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What makes ye think the robot will date you!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Would it feel unnatural? Are you technophobic? Is it any different than having a smartphone?acceptable and trendy?

09024555.jpg

Thought Humans is an old TV series, from 2015 like ? Just loved it !

So having Humans on the back of my head - no, I wouldn't date a synth.

- it takes a rare combination of traits, combined with human error that might get me to be attracted to someone.One just can't buy that "model" from a shop. Now if one of "my" very few would decide to go hybrid - possibly I would still be interested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

khalessi wrote: »

She'd a metal head, she's filed under 'Robots to be Banged'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Assembly line worker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

:pac: lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes. Definitely. I'd also offer up my entire body to change into an android myself. Think Surrogates until I can change out my body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yes, if the sex was the same as with a human and I could turn him off when I wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Don't think I could resistor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Well, no human female wants to date me so why not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

People have done stranger things I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes, do we get to pick our robot?
    It's hard to decide between Niska from humans or the blondy one from Battlestar Gallactica.. God Battlestar Gallactica has to be the most underrated show ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yes, as long as she wasn't an androgynous terminator with a left wing narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Would it feel unnatural? Are you technophobic? Would it evolve to be any different than having a smartphone?acceptable and trendy?

Could you fall in love with a robot? More than likelyhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/05/07/could-fall-love-robot-romance-machines-could-future-relationships/

09024555.jpg

I don’t think her eyes are actually green such is the dominant nature of ol brown eye but she certainly looks half Gemma / half Chan

Keep in mind she’s not actually a robot but if they were all sheathed in such good looks I just might.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Subservience is unattractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Depends robots in most shows are useless.

Maybe data from startrek is less useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Depends robots in most shows are useless.

Maybe data from startrek is less useless.

Tasha Yar deffo found him less useless lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Tasha Yar deffo found him less useless lol

lol i am still catching up on episodes with my dad! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I would have sex with a robot but i cant believe the majority would date one, date somebody who has no genuine independent thought of their own throughout your entire relationship? Date somebody who will never feel love or even affection towards you no matter how many decades you spend together? I think thats sad! But if it makes people happy, then I suppose its not sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If I can get a Gemma Chan lookalike that is USB rechargeable and has a mute button to nosh me off on a regular basis...

I for one welcome our new robot Overlords!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Would it feel unnatural? Are you technophobic? Would it evolve to be any different than having a smartphone?acceptable and trendy?

Could you fall in love with a robot? More than likelyhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/05/07/could-fall-love-robot-romance-machines-could-future-relationships/

09024555.jpg

Yes. My rubber friend is getting so predictable in bed. She makes no effort and just lies there moaning. I could have got married if that i what I wanted.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would have sex with a robot but i cant believe the majority would date one, date somebody who has no genuine independent thought of their own throughout your entire relationship?

I suppose that is the question really. How do you even know the people you date have those things?

What do we mean by "robot". Is it something approximating independent thought and free will - or does it actually have these things? There are debates even as to whether _we_ even have these things or are the illusory.

But even if they are only approximating it - so what? There is the "uncanny valley" effect in play then. Since you can not even prove the person you love has free will or independent thought - why does a robot require it?

For "love" to happen perhaps all it has to do is to be competent at giving the illusion of having these things accurately enough to trigger your sensibilities. Perhaps this is all the people you actually do love are doing for all we know - and all we ourselves are doing for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Not if she looks like the crushinator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I would have sex with a robot but i cant believe the majority would date one, date somebody who has no genuine independent thought of their own throughout your entire relationship? Date somebody who will never feel love or even affection towards you no matter how many decades you spend together? I think thats sad! But if it makes people happy, then I suppose its not sad really.

Why can’t an AI have a genuine independent thought? Why can’t an AI feel love or affection? Just because an AI that advanced hasn’t been created yet doesn’t mean it will not be impossible in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

it took guy less then episode to bang the one after purchase :pac:

fckit why not, no whining about feminism,income, house cleaned dinner made, out of picture when not needed whats not to like, almost living like royal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

Depends. Is it fully functional and programmed in multiple techniques?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Absolutely, provided she doesn't have a robot mother in law for me to visit as well.

I suspect Woman might be a Cylon. Her mother is bolted to a girder in Japan - she's a welder at Kawasaki Heavy Industries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Poll needs a "It's too bad she won't live. Then again, who does!" option. RIP Rutger Hauer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be thinking that they would be something akin to the ones in Westworld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I think you have to buy the naughty parts separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Would I .... Yes.

But only if I had a large tub of lubricating gelly, plus a tin of 3in1 oil and set of jump leads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Are we talking a Rachel like in blade runner? If so it's a definite yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Headline I read recently in a tech mag "The Sex robots are cumming";)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I'm just waiting for the rest of ye to get on board with the idea. I've been dying to bring Matilda out in public for 15 odd years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I am not so sure but but i would'nt mind being married to one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I MUST HAVE STUMBLED IN HERE BY ACCIDENT SO I WILL SAY GOODBYE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

anacc wrote: »
    Why can’t an AI have a genuine independent thought? Why can’t an AI feel love or affection? Just because an AI that advanced hasn’t been created yet doesn’t mean it will not be impossible in the future.

Can anything have an independent thought? Do thoughts exist outside electrical and chemical cause and effect?
    I'm not convinced free will exists for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We'll stop calling them robots, we'll start calling them synthetic humans, it'll be grand :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
Advertisement