Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds kill 200 lambs on a single Isle of Wight farm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I wonder what Packham would say about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Crows can be a pain at lambing time all right - but this seems a very extreme case. Suprised the farmer didn't lamb indoors more given the scale of the claimed losses. I trap hoodies all year round on my place in the west - some still around but have escaped any lamb losses for the last few years. The foxes are a different story as I'm the only one still doing a bit of lamping locally:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Crows can be a pain at lambing time all right - but this seems a very extreme case. Suprised the farmer didn't lamb indoors more given the scale of the claimed losses. I trap hoodies all year round on my place in the west - some still around but have escaped any lamb losses for the last few years. The foxes are a different story as I'm the only one still doing a bit of lamping locally:(

Most flocks actually lamb outside in the UK and all in NZ. The sizes of the flocks in the UK are a lot larger and probably put more pressure on the shepherd.
    Outside over a large area it is difficult to protect newborn lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I wonder what Packham would say about that ?

Here's packham right armed man. Bit about Lamb loses on Isle of White mentioned in it. You can probably guess it's just brushed aside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How many lads actively control bird numbers, especially around sheep/flocks?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement