Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Advice

Options
  • 24-07-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All

I'm looking at some advice in buying a new bike,
    My current bike I've had for around 4/5 years, bought it second hand but it was never the right fit. I was only doing 10kms to work with the odd 35/40km every now and again but now I'm looking to upgrade as I'm looking to do a bit more on the bike.

I was in a local bike shop today have it down to two bikes I think,
    The first is a Trek Domane ALR 4 Disc 2018 @ €1500
    The second is a Giant Contend SL1 Disc 2019 @ €1450

ww.evanscycles.com/trek-domane-alr-4-disc-2018-road-bike-EV283313
    ww.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-1-disc

There is a W missing from the URLs above if you want to take a look at the bikes

Which do you think is the better bike, i'm drawn to the Giant but the man in the shop was pushing the Trek

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

pksligo wrote: »
    Hi All

I was in a local bike shop today have it down to two bikes I think,
    The first is a Trek Domane ALR 4 Disc 2018 @ €1500
    The second is a Giant Contend SL1 Disc 2019 @ €1450

ww.evanscycles.com/trek-domane-alr-4-disc-2018-road-bike-EV283313
    ww.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-1-disc

Which do you think is the better bike, i'm drawn to the Giant but the man in the shop was pushing the Trek

Thanks

Just looking at it from a specifications point of view, the Giant would be my pick. It's got 11 Speed vs 10 on the Trek, and from a quick google weighs a couple of hundred grams less.

And sure the best part is it's 50 quid cheaper! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pksligo

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Just looking at it from a specifications point of view, the Giant would be my pick. It's got 11 Speed vs 10 on the Trek, and from a quick google weighs a couple of hundred grams less.

And sure the best part is it's 50 quid cheaper! :o:D

That was my thinking to, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

pksligo wrote: »
    That was my thinking to, thanks

I actually got the giant myself last week, I don't know anything about the trek, but delighted with the contend so far

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The giant has a 105 hybrid but the trek is a tiagra hybrid.

I went for the cube so attain disc
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-sl-disc-greynorange-2019/
    Full 105 (R7000 latest version) full hydraulic discs. Giant have a really weird system. All for 1400

ted1 wrote: »
    The giant has a 105 hybrid but the trek is a tiagra hybrid.

I went for the cube so attain disc
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-sl-disc-greynorange-2019/
    Full 105 (R7000 latest version) full hydraulic discs. Giant have a really weird system. All for 1400

Yeah it's a fugly hub on the stem/middle of the bars https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct I mentioned it in another thread.

Not seen it in the flesh but to me it looked like standard mounts could be problematic? and I tend to baulk at anything proprietary.

Still better value for money than that Trek linked though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement