Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2026 @ Adare Manor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

etxp wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, hasn't Lowry said his main goal is to get on to the Ryder cup team next year? Even before he won The Open.

He may have, but he hasn’t been a Ryder cup player up to this point so probably saw it as a more realistic goal up until this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Who do we fancy for captains for Adare?
    My crystal ball , I think I can see Ian Poulter v Tiger Woods.

GMac for captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

Who do we fancy for captains for Adare?
    My crystal ball , I think I can see Ian Poulter v Tiger Woods.
    My go at the future captains after 2024 for the USA it will be among a few as no body is clear cut

2022 - Italy - Westwood v Tiger
    2024 - Bethpage NYC - G-Mac v Phil (This will be crazy)
    2026 - Adare - Sergio v Zach Johnson/ Matt Kuchar / Jimmy Walker / Patrick Reed
    2028 - Hazeltine - Poulter v Zach Johnson/ Matt Kuchar / Jimmy Walker / Patrick Reed

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

As I understand it there is no rough in Adare. A bit like Augusta . It will play into the Americans hands big time , their big hitters will dismantle the place

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

In ten years time Patrick Reed will only be mid 30s there is little to no chance he will do it before he is 40 id say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

roverjoyce wrote: »
    My go at the future captains after 2024 for the USA it will be among a few as no body is clear cut

2022 - Italy - Westwood v Tiger
    2024 - Bethpage NYC - G-Mac v Phil (This will be crazy)
    2026 - Adare - Sergio v Zach Johnson/ Matt Kuchar / Jimmy Walker / Patrick Reed
    2028 - Hazeltine - Poulter v Zach Johnson/ Matt Kuchar / Jimmy Walker / Patrick Reed

Not that child Sergio, would have to be someone from the British Isles, this island or will there be a Scot?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In ten years time Patrick Reed will only be mid 30s there is little to no chance he will do it before he is 40 id say.

The European Captain can elect to let the rough grow, tighten fairways, speed up greens, push tee boxes around etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

If P H wins it in Whistling Straits what's to stop him captaining in Adare?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

rooney30 wrote: »
    As I understand it there is no rough in Adare. A bit like Augusta . It will play into the Americans hands big time , their big hitters will dismantle the place

They can let the rough grow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭techdiver

If P H wins it in Whistling Straits what's to stop him captaining in Adare?

From a European point of view as far as I know, nowadays they don't reselect captains. Once you've been captain you're done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As others have said they can grow the rough there.
    I played it 5 years ago before it was remodelled and the rough was vicious .
    It was long for the last Mc Manus Pro Am too.

It wont take long to grow the rough in Ireland with our weather and the course will be set up with narrow fairways and long rough like it was in Paris last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's official ....

The Ryder Cup will return to Ireland in 2026 when Adare Manor, in County Limerick, hosts the biennial contest between Europe and the United States for the first time.

Ryder Cup Europe – which comprises the Managing Partner the European Tour, the Founding Partner the PGA of Great Britain and Ireland, and the PGAs of Europe – today announced the five-star resort will follow in the footsteps of Whistling Straits in Wisconsin (2020), Marco Simone in Italy (2022) and Bethpage Black in New York (2024) as the venue for golf’s greatest team contest.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/europe/ireland-confirmed-host-nation-2026-ryder-cup

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2019/0724/1065077-adare-manor-to-host-ryder-cup-in-2026/

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

techdiver wrote: »
    From a European point of view as far as I know, nowadays they don't reselect captains. Once you've been captain you're done.

Yeah I had Tom Watson in mind posting that.. Seems ET have different rules, now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

fullstop wrote: »
    I’m fully aware is a huge event, I’ve been at more than one myself, but to say it’s golf’s most prestigious tournament isn’t even close to true. Ask any player on either team if they’d prefer to win a major or a Ryder Cup and they’d all choose a major.

Well of course they would.

Ask them what is their favourite team event and you'll get a different answer. If you've been to a couple you'll know what the atmosphere is like - it's way more electric than any major. The crowds are huge and they are right behind their teams.

If the Ryder Cup has failed to ignite a bit of passion you need help.

p.s. Zero prize money = win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Niska

john9876 wrote: »
    Is it just Adare being bypassed? Rathkeale, NewcastleWest and Abbeyfeale are also bottle-necks?

The route is here;

https://www.foyneslimerick.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Heard that before:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

fullstop wrote: »
    It absolutely isn’t. It’s a glorified exhibition. It’s provably the most lucrative alright, and no doubt great news.

Yawn, a mcilroy fan spouting mcilroy nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dbu wrote:
    Heard that before

How the course is set up for wealthy amateurs bears no relation to how it will be set up for the Ryder Cup.

Grass does grow you know

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Niska wrote: »

Will link the end of the motorway to the Rathkeale bypass. Which means the bottleneck will move to the Limerick side of Newcastlewest.

It will be a bonanza for the filling stations between Rathkeale and Newcastlewest as they will be the new places to stop for food. The Applegreen place with the Subway will be in a position to cash in big time, he appears to have plenty of space to expand. He might even open a diner along the lines of the original Mother Hubbards on the old N4.

https://goo.gl/maps/RudxqsNsvTGJ8MX99

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

So, i fully realise it’s 7 years away but when would tickets be released? A year beforehand maybe? Or sooner?

Also, whats the likelyhood of getting them? Was it difficult the last time it was held in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Well of course they would.

Ask them what is their favourite team event and you'll get a different answer. If you've been to a couple you'll know what the atmosphere is like - it's way more electric than any major. The crowds are huge and they are right behind their teams.

If the Ryder Cup has failed to ignite a bit of passion you need help.

p.s. Zero prize money = win.

So you agree with me then.

Not golfs most prestigious event. They’re great events though, with a fantastic atmosphere and it will be great for the economy...I’m not disputing any of that.

Pissartist wrote: »
    Yawn, a mcilroy fan spouting mcilroy nonsense

You continue to outdo yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'll put my prejudice up straight away and say I have serious issue with JP McManus - who already operates in a bizarre world of a tax exile local hero.

So government support for such a character will have to be held at a far higher level of scrutiny. Public spending is already out of control and accountability is far from acceptable. This has all come out a bit quick and unclear what the figures and process was.

So not a fan of this government supported / private entity . I couldn't care less about it being the Ryder Cup in Ireland or not. It is pure Irish , lacking any transparency and ultimately about the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fixed, I know where you are going but this is not a politics forum so let’s leave it at that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I played the old course a few years back but know very little about the new one, do people reckon it'll make a good RC venue? And have many on here played it since the changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

While it is like nearly a decade away, what does one need to do to get their hands on tickets. By that stage my little fella will be a young man, and a serious memory to be made should he be a golfer!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Are people really suggesting Reed will be a future Ryder Cup captain?

Absolutely no chance IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Brilliant news.somewhere other than Dublin for a change.

It has never been held in Dublin.The only time it was held in Ireland was in 2006 at the K Club in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Brilliant to see this event back in Ireland and as a biased local even better to see it in Adare Manor.

Leaving aside the benefits that this will bring during the event.
    I'd hazard a guess that a considerable acceleration of the M20 build, the Adare bypass, general road improvements in the area and in Limerick City will have a considerable economic growth effect on the area over the next 10yrs or so.

It does seem that with an event of this magnitude the actual infrastructure improvements are the real legacy.

Now that aside, really looking forward to seeing the best in the world battling out on the new course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

A lot of credit to McManus for this. People whinge about his tax status but he brings a lot to the Limerick area and the country in general. The Ryder Cup will add to that.

Advertisement