Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup 2026 @ Adare Manor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So not a fan of this government supported / private entity . I couldn't care less about it being the Ryder Cup in Ireland or not. It is pure Irish , lacking any transparency and ultimately about the road.

I'll tell you what's pure Irish, finding something in this announcement to moan about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

First Up wrote: »
    A lot of credit to McManus for this. People whinge about his tax status but he brings a lot to the Limerick area and the country in general. The Ryder Cup will add to that.
    I'll tell you what's pure Irish, finding something in this announcement to moan about.

Ye both can have the final word with these posts. Now it’s time to talk about golf and look forward to the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Keano wrote:
    Ye both can have the final word with these posts. Now it’s time to talk about golf and look forward to the event!

OK. I'll set the alarm for seven years from now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Remind me wrote: »
    Are people really suggesting Reed will be a future Ryder Cup captain?

Absolutely no chance IMO

Strange post.

What rationale do you have for saying there is “no chance?”

Cause there is plenty of it to say there is a chance

Not in 2026 though

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Degag wrote: »
    Strange post.

Not in 2026 though

Reports that he doesn’t get on with a lot of the current batch of players and throwing the toys out of the pram in Paris being some of the rationale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Strange post.

Not in 2026 though

There is about as much chance of me being Ryder cup captain as Reed .
    The guy is about as popular as osama bin laden . . He is universally hated amongst his peers . Nobody wants to play with him in a Ryder cup ., The crowd on 18 barely clapped at Augusta during his major win .

rooney30 wrote: »
    There is about as much chance of me being Ryder cup captain as Reed .
    The guy is about as popular as osama bin laden . . He is universally hated amongst his peers . Nobody wants to play with him in a Ryder cup ., The crowd on 18 barely clapped at Augusta during his major win .
    You don’t exaggerate much do you? 🙄

As captain, you don’t really tend to captain your peers. You are generally a golfer towards the end of your (usually successful) career captaining players of the generation preceeding you. A Bit of competitive spirit doesn’t go amiss.

Reed fits all those characteristics.

Hey, he may not be universally liked but that’s not a pre-requisite to being captain. To say he absolutely never will be one when he has another 15-20 years in his prime is frankly idiotic.

You don’t exaggerate much do you? 🙄

As captain, you don’t really tend to captain your peers. You are generally a golfer towards the end of your (usually successful) career captaining players of the generation preceeding you. A Bit of competitive spirit doesn’t go amiss.

Reed fits all those characteristics.

Hey, he may not be universally liked but that’s not a pre-requisite to being captain. To say he absolutely never will be one when he has another 15-20 years in his prime is frankly idiotic.

Do you think the PGA tour or The current selection committee set up the Americans have would select a player who was thrown off his college team following accusations of cheating and stealing from team mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Degag wrote:

Being liked by and comfortable around your players would help but being media savvy and comfortable in the public gaze is absolutely essential.

There isn't the remotest chance the USPGA would put Reed into that role, nor would he want it.

Do you think the PGA tour or The current selection committee set up the Americans have would select a player who was thrown off his college team following accusations of cheating and stealing from team mates?

Accusations?

Tiger has more than accusations thrown at him. His past is fairly well documented and brought the game into far more repute than whatever Reed is accused of doing.

And he’s a certain Ryder Cup captain.

As is Phil and a few others who have had “accusations” thrown at them.

• Advertisement

Accusations?

Tiger has more than accusations thrown at him. His past is fairly well documented and brought the game into far more repute than whatever Reed is accused of doing.

And he’s a certain Ryder Cup captain.

As is Phil and a few others who have had “accusations” thrown at them.

Tiger is arguably the greatest player to play the game and universally respected by the players, he is the reason they play for what they do now and why they are multimillionaires flying around the world on their own aircraft.

I don’t think any of the accusations are cheating on the course or stealing from team mates?

Reed has not been liked by any teammates he has played with. Why would you let him captain a team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

From a European perspective I think Reed would make a super Captain

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    Put the Irish Open here in 2024 or 2025 and you'll have plenty of US players taking part, and likely links in the Scottish followed by The Open (assuming current scheduled remains), would be a perfect run in

I think you would need to have it on the same year to get any interest from the players, it would also likely mean you lose the guys who would play as an Open warm-up, but maybe it would balance out.
    Yes.
    Must have put in a big bid ,the European tour generally go with the highest bidder ,its a huge money making event for them.

Saying that it is a very good course

They approached Adare actually, he didn't go after them, there was no bidding involved this time (apparently)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm still not convinced on the Italy slot and way back JP said he would be ready to be a back up

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

GreeBo wrote: »
    They approached Adare actually, he didn't go after them, there was no bidding involved this time (apparently)

If that's the case they need their heads examined. Someone got paid, it was one of the main objectives when renovating the place.

Tiger is arguably the greatest player to play the game and universally respected by the players, he is the reason they play for what they do now and why they are multimillionaires flying around the world on their own aircraft.

I don’t think any of the accusations are cheating on the course or stealing from team mates?

Reed has not been liked by any teammates he has played with. Why would you let him captain a team

Well Tiger has been accused of some dodgy drops in his time. He should really have been disqualified in the Masters that time. There have been a couple of other incidents too I think.

Well Tiger has been accused of some dodgy drops in his time.

No doubt about it, a lot have but would have been a dodgy ruling given by an official.

EDIT: replied before you added in the Masters drop for which he was fitter penalised?

Hoboo wrote: »
    If that's the case they need their heads examined. Someone got paid, it was one of the main objectives when renovating the place.

Once The European Tour knew Adare wanted it, which they made clear they did, they were the only candidate.

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced on the Italy slot and way back JP said he would be ready to be a back up

Was it not the case that he said he would not want to host in place of Italy that he would rather see it go to who finished second in the bidding?

The course in Spain happens to be owned by Denis O’Brien....

No doubt about it, a lot have but would have been a dodgy ruling given by an official.

He took the dodgy drop in the Masters all by himself. No help from the officials in that case. Except when they took the easy way out and gave him a two shot penalty rather than disqualifying him.

I realise this is all wildly off topic!

• Advertisement

Once The European Tour knew Adare wanted it, which they made clear they did, they were the only candidate.

So someone got paid.

So someone got paid.

Yeah as would have been the case with whoever won the bid

He took the dodgy drop in the Masters all by himself. No help from the officials in that case. Except when they took the easy way out and gave him a two shot penalty rather than disqualifying him.

I realise this is all wildly off topic!

Not disagreeing but Tiger has massive credibility with the public and golfers despite all his past self made issues being in the open.

Reed does not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lack of popularity doesn`t always rule somebody out. In his heyday Nick Faldo was generally regarded as a loner and aloof but he was still appointed the 2008 Ryder Cup captain. Mind you that didn`t turn out well, not from a European point of view anyway.

Why would they need their head examined? You dont think Adare is a good location?
    I'm sure Adare still have to pay to host it, but they didnt go chasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Whatever about getting an Irish open there as a warm up, I wouldn't rule out a WGC event there over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

GreeBo wrote: »

hmm,thats not how they do business and its now how they have selected venues in the past .

The US PGA generally pick the best golf courses they have whereas the European tour like to move it around and its a big earner for them so courses have to pay to host it .

hmm,thats not how they do business and its now how they have selected venues in the past .

The US PGA generally pick the best golf courses they have whereas the European tour like to move it around and its a big earner for them so courses have to pay to host it .

It was acknowledged that it was different this time, typically its a bidding war like the Rugby World cup, but this one was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,656 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The European Tour doesn't have the money the US has, they need The Ryder Cup to bring in huge revenue.

• Advertisement

Yeah as would have been the case with whoever won the bid

Exactly. It certainly wasn't just handed to JP for nothing. And good enough.

Advertisement