Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transitioning to Legal Industry

Options
  • 25-07-2019 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going unreg for this one. I have been working away in an industry for the past 5 years since finishing my degree. My job has nothing to do with the degree, I've enjoyed the last 5 years and have done really well but it's time to move on. I recently finished a postgraduate diploma in law (again nothing to do with my degree) and i'm dying to get a job in the legal industry, however so far I am having no luck.

I've met so many recruiters and have had a few interviews with smaller law firms that I have applied to directly. I'm applying for legal secretary roles. I have the necessary skills - fast typer, proficient in MS office suite etc., but not the professional experience. The last place I interviewed said they didn't mind the lack of experience as they offer on the job training - the interview went well I thought - but I still didn't get the job.

Sometimes I get asked am I interested in FE-1s and the answer I give, which is the truth, is that i'm not too sure, i'd want to be working in the legal industry a few years before committing to go down that path. Is this the wrong response? The first place I interviewed said I was wasting my time pursuing legal secretarial work - that I would be bored - and that I should do the FE-1s and get on with it. I really don't feel this way- i'd like to get some kind of legal administrative/support role. I've been trying to find a job now for about 6 weeks and am getting nowhere... Should I be giving a different response to this FE-1 question?

If anyone has any advice on this or how to break into the industry i'd much appreciate it. I got top marks in my diploma and am genuinely interested, so if someone gave me a shot I think i'd do well in it... but getting the opportunity is a different thing! Is my approach to this the wrong approach?

TIA!

Advertisement