Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF stage 18: Embrun-Valloire 208 km

Options
  • 25-07-2019 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Ding Ding Ding - Round 18

Ive+heard+rumors+that+celebrity+deathmatch+might+be+making+a+_2933f9322e63e932d816414f10adf787.jpg

A Sky/Ineos rider kicked out of a race is probably no shock but for once its not Gianni Moscon as England & Germany play out another draw. Nice long hilly stage today with a descent into the finish which should give us a much better idea heading in towards the weekend of where teams and riders and are physically and mentally especially Quickstep as they are probably the least of the GC contenders set up to boss the race from the front or shut down breakaways going uphill. A good chance for a GC contender to land a BLOW on their rivals today ;)

674bc

The stage starts in Embrun, which has hosted the Tour 5 times before tomorrow - all of them as the start of the stage, and only 1 visit before the turn of the century. In 2008 the riders started here and rode to Alpe d'Huez, a stage which Carlos Sastre won, all but securing his first and only victory in a Grand Tour. In 2013 Chris Froome won a hilly time trial and in 2015 Edvald Boasson-Hagen won from a breakaway.
    As the riders head out of Embrun, the cat 4. Côte des Demoiselles Coiffées (3,9 km at 5,2%) provides a good opportunity for those, who want to try their luck in a breakaway, since this climb starts just 10 km after the start. This climb probably takes its name from the fascinating rock formations, Les Demoiselles Coiffées

Forecast is looking alot cooler but stormy and wet in parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,805 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Some stunning views on this stage!

Probably D most important stage on the tour at this point..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm wondering how today will go. With two more tough, up hill , finishes to come, it's hard to guess what will happen today. Half tempted to take a half day , but wondering would today or tomorrow be a better day to do it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Leaving work @2pm today to watch this, if i leave any earlier i'd be sacked!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Today looks tough, then you look at tomorrow and woo now that's tough...and then Saturday...the next three days are going to be carnage, I don't think a GC guy will win the race in the next three days, I think a few GC guys will lose the race, it just looks so savage that a few guys will just implode

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Today looks tough, then you look at tomorrow and woo now that's tough...and then Saturday...the next three days are going to be carnage, I don't think a GC guy will win the race in the next three days, I think a few GC guys will lose the race, it just looks so savage that a few guys will just implode

Yes, today and the next two days are savage. True test..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, today and the next two days are savage. True test..

I just noticed valverde is only 5 minutes off the yellow...could he possibly do something

I just noticed valverde is only 5 minutes off the yellow...could he possibly do something

Not a hope...too much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Landa more likely to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There are 33 riders in the break:

Romain Bardet, Mickaêl Cherel, Mathias Frank (AG2R La Mondiale)

Nairo Quintana, Andrey Amador, Carlos Verona (Movistar)

Adam Yates, Daryl Impey, Chris Juul-Jensen (Mitchelton-Scott)

Tim Wellens, Tiesj Benoot, Jasper De Buyst (Lotto Soudal)

Greg Van Avermaet, Serge Pauwels, Simon Geschke (CCC Team)

Alexey Lutsenko, Gorka Izagirre (Astana)

Michael Woods, Alberto Bettiol (EF Education First)

Lennard Kämna, Nikias Arndt (Team Sunweb)

Mike Teunissen, Amund Jansen (Jumbo-Visma)

Julien Bernard (Trek-Segafredo)

Sergio Henao (UAE Team Emirates)

Pierre-Luc Périchon (Cofidis)

Dylan Van Baarle (Team Ineos)

Nils Politt (Katusha-Alpecin)

Damiano Caruso (Bahrain-Merida)

Amaël Moinard (Arkéa-Samsic)

Paul Ourselin (Total Direct Energie)

Mathieu Ladagnous (Groupama-FDJ)

Maximilano Richeze (Deceuninck-QuickStep)

Wrong to think the stage winner isn't in there?

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Landa more likely to do something

Is he in this breakaway group, who are almost 5 minutes ahead of yellow..? Don’t think he is.

dahat wrote: »
    Wrong to think the stage winner isn't in there?

With Quintana in the breakaway, they won't get too much leeway.

I think if any team in the peloton ride hard on the Galibier then it will be curtains for whoever is in the breakaway.
    It's such a long climb, I can't see a small group or lone rider staying ahead

walshb wrote: »
    Is he in this breakaway group, who are almost 5 minutes ahead of yellow..? Don’t think he is.

I'm not watching it live, but according to cyclingnews it's Nairo Quintana, Andrey Amador, and Carlos Veronain the break for Movistar.

With Quintana in the breakaway, they won't get too much leeway.

I think if any team in the peloton ride hard on the Galibier then it will be curtains for whoever is in the breakaway.
    It's such a long climb, I can't see a small group or lone rider staying ahead

Nor can i, the GC lads will like todays stage and would be a fantastic one to win.

The Yates brother not in the breakaway would be my pick as he can ride wheels to get there then would be left roll away late.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Dimension Data are truly patethic. No one in the break today. Do they thinkk they'll win from the GC men?
    Terrible team that don't even have the excuse of developing African riders anymore. They're happy to get over-the-hill European journeymen in to replace their most promising Africans. Sooner they're gone the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Roman Bardet looks very animated or is it agitated in the break..must be under so much pressure

Break are getting loads of time but I imagine Movistar will attack on 2nd last climb

Can t see Quintana being of much help

However I would think if Quintana is ever going to do anything then he needs to today

DQS letting gap up...others will need to start riding at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dimension Data are truly patethic. No one in the break today. Do they thinkk they'll win from the GC men?
    Terrible team that don't even have the excuse of developing African riders anymore. They're happy to get over-the-hill European journeymen in to replace their most promising Africans. Sooner they're gone the better.

Those new invisible kits they have are working wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why are they letting Quintana get that far ahead. He is only three minutes from being the virtual tour leader now isn't he?

Bit harsh ..I would not want any team gone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Bit harsh ..I would not want any team gone

There's pro conti teams who'd put in a better effort then DD and deserve a space at the tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why are they letting Quintana get that far ahead. He is only three minutes from being the virtual tour leader now isn't he?
    Guess they know he will bottle it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

neris wrote: »
    There's pro conti teams who'd put in a better effort then DD and deserve a space at the tour
    Decision to leave out Cavendish looks even more baffling when you consider their performance. Even if he wasn't in form he would have been talked about, and possibly nicked one win (although seeing the struggles of Greipel who is nowhere in sprint finishes that might not be a given)

Has Cummings gone in a break or even tried to get in one? I don't recall hearing his name and Kirby would be the first to shout about it if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Roche has had a tumble. :(

George Bennett and Nico down.

Both back up.

topnotch wrote: »
    Roche has had a tumble. :(

Unlucky crash...looks like his hand is bad
    And he has been sick since last Saturday too ..not easy

Andy Schleck...would hardly recognize him

Nils Politt breaks tour top speed record. Hit 101 kph on a descent. Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ah dammit, Dan is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ineos losing half the team there no?

• Advertisement

Ah dammit, Dan is done.

I don't know what has happened to Dan this year. He's never even looked competitive. Obviously got his preparation completely wrong.

Advertisement