Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF stage 18: Embrun-Valloire 208 km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Lads he could well eek out a few seconds here if he decides to go on the offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

and making a statement :D

Are there bonus seconds on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Alaphilippe looks like he will extend his lead here!

F*cking legend to be fair. As obscene as his performance in the tour is, the heart he's showing is unreal.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Quintana - he has history of coming good in the third week of the Tour. I remember he won a stage late last year, with Dan Martin unable to stay with gun and taking second place.

Pity he unnecessarily lost a minute on the flat stage 16, otherwise he wouldn’t be too far from the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Wow, back on

You'd wonder the motive behind Thomas' attack. If he doesn't attack, Bernal might stand to gain about a minute. Wonder if there's a bit of Contador/Lance divide in Ineos.

Blood on his jersey there crossing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,805 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I got Alphalippe at 6-1 early this morning. Threw a ton on him....

You reckon he holds on? I think he might just...

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

Very good odds now, you would have to think.

Bernal>Pinot>Alaphilippe>Thomas>Kruijswijk in terms of betting for the overall now.

I wonder will Bernal be given free reign though from Ineos, I doubt it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,805 ✭✭✭✭walshb

letape wrote: »
    Very good odds now, you would have to think.

The next two stages are tough, but both shorter than today.....leaves less chance/distance for the others to overtake the man in yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I doubt Alaphilippe holds on. You'll see at least one of Pinot, Thomas, Kruijswijk and Bernal go earlier tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Interesting one as SK would say. Two summit top finishes, all out attacks within the last few K

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Great ride from JA and I think he knew he could put time into the rest on the descent so I'm not even sure I would count it as a crack at the top of the Galibier. I reckon he knew that if he was within 30 or 40s of the other GC guys at the summit then he was fine so he didn't need to hold the wheel in the last km before the summit.

I think he might just still be there by the last climb on Saturday - they'll probably crack him then but you can always hope.

The next two stages are tough, but both shorter than today.....leaves less chance/distance for the others to overtake the man in yellow.

not really. it's the uphill finish that counts really. push the pace to put him into the red zone out then attack on the final hill to get time. he would have lost 30 seconds to Thomas today if it was an uphill finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Kwaito is so poor this Tour ...Last year he was amasing

Ineos' graft men have been poor overall. Remember the days Wout Poels would ride km after km without breathing and shedding out the whole peloton.

two fascinating days ahead in any case.

Saturday has the more likely altitude finish profile for a big final attack

Bernal now favourite with the bookies it looks like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Race Radio

Translation:Blood tests on Kruisjwijk, De Plus and Bennett 40 minutes from departure, on their bus. Never seen before, to my knowledge. Indicative of the determination of the CADF (UCI) to adapt to the methods highlighted by the Aderlass affair. And the CADF does not hit randomly

glasso wrote: »
    not really. it's the uphill finish that counts really. push the pace to put him into the red zone out then attack on the final hill to get time. he would have lost 30 seconds to Thomas today if it was an uphill finish.

Possibly, but 30s a stage is not enough. At this point they have to really crack him (which of course is very possible). He can afford a couple of mini cracks in the last km of the climb. Someone has to commit to an attack from further down the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Race Radio

Translation:Blood tests on Kruisjwijk, De Plus and Bennett 40 minutes from departure, on their bus. Never seen before, to my knowledge. Indicative of the determination of the CADF (UCI) to adapt to the methods highlighted by the Aderlass affair. And the CADF does not hit randomly

Not just Jumbo-Visma though.

According to Cyclingnews Julian Alaphilippe, Geraint Thomas and Egan Bernal were also tested early this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not just Jumbo-Visma though.

According to Cyclingnews Julian Alaphilippe, Geraint Thomas and Egan Bernal were also tested early this morning.

But not Pinot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The weather is to cool apparently, unless I misread, which could suit pinot.

I think the story was that the tests on the JV guys was so close to the start of the race, the others were tested around breakfast time.

Possibly, but 30s a stage is not enough. At this point they have to really crack him (which of course is very possible). He can afford a couple of mini cracks in the last km of the climb. Someone has to commit to an attack from further down the hill.

I was just talking about 30s in relation to today's stage and the attack position tho.

tbh if they went a bit earlier they would have got more (to the top ignoring descent)

I hope that he holds on as it's so old school to see a rider do a full year performance - have to go back 30 to 40 years for that.

If they're smart they'll push hard before the Iseran and he should crack hard there. However there's a lot of lads very close to each other in the GC and as usual there'll be lads trying to protect what they have...so that shadow boxing can play into Alaphillipe's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If I was Dave Brailsford I'd be thinking of getting either Bernal or Thomas to attack on the Col de l'Iseran (penultimate climb) tomorrow. Go for broke with one of them to try and crack Alaphilippe.

• Advertisement

Angliru wrote: »
      If they're smart they'll push hard before the Iseran and he should crack hard there. However there's a lot of lads very close to each other in the GC and as usual there'll be lads trying to protect what they have...so that shadow boxing can play into Alaphillipe's hands.

Hopefully.

Bernal looked good today though

Advertisement