Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chimney issues on Semi-Detatched

• 25-07-2019 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Currently in the process of having an engineers report done in relation to a potential family property we are sale agreed on.

The engineer has spotted soot on the inside of the brickwork (seen when accessing the attic) on the chimney. Says it points to an issue with either our chimney or the neighbours.

Got a chimney CCTV (of the flue) and it appears that the flue of our potential property is perfect.

There is a joint stack however, and both flues (I think I am recalling this correctly) go into the joint stack. The chimney guy is of the opinion that the neighbours have installed a flexi liner in their chimney and that there is no issue here, however the engineer says the brick work needs to be rebuilt and this will need co-operation with the neighbours.

To be honest, it still seems like conflicting information to me, we do not know the neighbours to be honest. Is this a really major issue? Chimney expert says problem has been sorted on neighbours side with flexi liner, and there is no issue with our chimney at all, bar the soot on the inside of our attic on the stack blocking

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sounds like its sorted to me. Its possible that the neighbor put the liner in as the simplest cheapest method of fixing the problem or they have a stove and it was installed correctly with a liner.

Only issue with that is that there is no clean up so the evidence remains.

I wouldn't be worried about it but I would keep an eye on it in the future because liners don't last forever (depends how much it is used and the quality of the liner) so the problem may eventually return and the fix is just to replace the liner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

my3cents wrote: »
    Sounds like its sorted to me. Its possible that the neighbor put the liner in as the simplest cheapest method of fixing the problem or they have a stove and it was installed correctly with a liner.

Only issue with that is that there is no clean up so the evidence remains.

I wouldn't be worried about it but I would keep an eye on it in the future because liners don't last forever (depends how much it is used and the quality of the liner) so the problem may eventually return and the fix is just to replace the liner.

So the engineer is incorrect in saying that the blockwork needs to be replaced?

Seems to think a liner could not solve that problem. Lots of conflicting information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Hi there

Currently in the process of having an engineers report done in relation to a potential family property we are sale agreed on.

The engineer has spotted soot on the inside of the brickwork (seen when accessing the attic) on the chimney. Says it points to an issue with either our chimney or the neighbours.

Got a chimney CCTV (of the flue) and it appears that the flue of our potential property is perfect.

There is a joint stack however, and both flues (I think I am recalling this correctly) go into the joint stack. The chimney guy is of the opinion that the neighbours have installed a flexi liner in their chimney and that there is no issue here, however the engineer says the brick work needs to be rebuilt and this will need co-operation with the neighbours.

To be honest, it still seems like conflicting information to me, we do not know the neighbours to be honest. Is this a really major issue? Chimney expert says problem has been sorted on neighbours side with flexi liner, and there is no issue with our chimney at all, bar the soot on the inside of our attic on the stack blocking

Post a bit hard to follow: is it blockwork or brickwork?

Anyway, see attached.
    Am assuming flue 2 is yours and flue 1 is the other one.
    Flexi don't last for ever.
    Is the attic well ventilated?
    Maybe fit a few tile vents in roof?
    maybe put in a CO alarm up there and have attic hatch well sealed.
    Are there any downlighters in ceiling?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Post a bit hard to follow: is it blockwork or brickwork?

Anyway, see attached.
    Am assuming flue 2 is yours and flue 1 is the other one.
    Flexi don't last for ever.
    Is the attic well ventilated?
    Maybe fit a few tile vents in roof?
    maybe put in a CO alarm up there and have attic hatch well sealed.
    Are there any downlighters in ceiling?

Here are the pics I have of the attic on our side. This is solely what engineer is working off

• Advertisement

It doesn't really look very bad, I'm used to old houses and wouldn't think twice about it.

I'd suspect more an issue with rain and a poorly made chimney stack than actual damage.

The CCTV can't show up anything of the stone work on a lined chimney so you have to go with what that expert says.

It might be just water getting in between the liner and the block work or original chimney liner. In which case that isn't going to be a big deal to fix can you ask your chimney guy if thats possible?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ask yourself what will works cost 2k, 5k or 20k
    Ask yourself is it worth worrying about in context of the overall purchases price 2% ?

Can’t comment further without seeing the house in the flesh

BryanF wrote: »
    Ask yourself what will works cost 2k, 5k or 20k
    Ask yourself is it worth worrying about in context of the overall purchases price 2% ?

Can’t comment further without seeing the house in the flesh

Obviously the house isn't going to fall down, only issue I would have is in future if we were trying to sell.

The fact its a joint stack with the neighbours (and issue is/was on their side), not sure if it would need them to be co-operative and you never know who your neighbours will be

Got our engineers report back on this and he suggestex chimney may need to be demolished in time but he was basing that on initial picture showing the soot.

One other thing that wasnt spotted by engineer was exterior of chimney does this look like a crack?

Looks like some form of crack and its above the damp proof tray so is perfectly consistent with the reason for the soot. It may only be a crack in the render that is collecting moisture but only taking it off will tell which of course may instead show up bigger issues. Not something that would worry me much.

• Advertisement

Looks like some form of crack and its above the damp proof tray so is perfectly consistent with the reason for the soot. It may only be a crack in the render that is collecting moisture but only taking it off will tell which of course may instead show up bigger issues. Not something that would worry me much.

Would it be an issue that would stop you buying? Its a shared stack with neighbours you see.

And how much would repair cost?

What is there actually to repair?

What I think I see is a damp proof course with a crack where the render covers the top edge of the dpc. So that area collects water which soaks into the stack and distributes the soot above the dpc so the dpc is actually doing what it should do.

I'm not a buyer but I wouldn't let it worry me.

At worst you would have to rebuild the stack above the dpc tray and I don't think the amount of contamination on the inside justifies that. I warrant that the engineer has never had a solid fuel fire in a house he has lived in so has no idea how much or little of a problem there is.

What is there actually to repair?

What I think I see is a damp proof course with a crack where the render covers the top edge of the dpc. So that area collects water which soaks into the stack and distributes the soot above the dpc so the dpc is actually doing what it should do.

I'm not a buyer but I wouldn't let it worry me.

At worst you would have to rebuild the stack above the dpc tray and I don't think the amount of contamination on the inside justifies that. I warrant that the engineer has never had a solid fuel fire in a house he has lived in so has no idea how much or little of a problem there is.

If it did need to be rebuilt as you say, what would cost be? ballpark figure

If it did need to be rebuilt as you say, what would cost be? ballpark figure

No idea, while not a massive job it wouldn't be that cheap because whatever you do up there you'd need scaffolding.

From the picture on the inside and outside someone here should be able to say how much for scaffolding then to demolish that down to the tray then rebuild.

Whats the worst that can happen? You get a bit more soot/tar on the inside of the loft? Its not going to blow up or burn the house down. The fact the soot/tar on the inside picture is so dry and not running anywhere (like I've seen on some chimneys) is saying to me its not a massive problem.

No idea, while not a massive job it wouldn't be that cheap because whatever you do up there you'd need scaffolding.

From the picture on the inside and outside someone here should be able to say how much for scaffolding then to demolish that down to the tray then rebuild.

Whats the worst that can happen? You get a bit more soot/tar on the inside of the loft? Its not going to blow up or burn the house down. The fact the soot/tar on the inside picture is so dry and not running anywhere (like I've seen on some chimneys) is saying to me its not a massive problem.

I appreciate this advice greatly. And any other opinions equally welcome

Just an update on this. seller is organising a surveyor of her own to look into this.

Our engineer report recommended chimney be demolished to agreed acceptable level in time (didnt give indication of when it should be done or how much it would cost). I do think he is obviously covering himself and rightly so.

its extremely frustrating, some folks telling us its not major, others telling us its a job that could cost big money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

Every second-hand house will have some small faults that develop over the years. If you will only consider houses with lesser faults than those shown, you will be looking for a long time.
    Maybe you should consider buying new.

blackbox wrote: »
    Every second-hand house will have some small faults that develop over the years. If you will only consider houses with lesser faults than those shown, you will be looking for a long time.
    Maybe you should consider buying new.

you are right, not looking for absolute perfection but as first time buyer we are probably being more cagey than we should be.

sellers engineer came back today and said there is absolutely no issue and that issue with the soot is coming in from the top whatever that means.

Reputable firm of engineers but obviously being brought in by her its not independent.

you are right, not looking for absolute perfection but as first time buyer we are probably being more cagey than we should be.

sellers engineer came back today and said there is absolutely no issue and that issue with the soot is coming in from the top whatever that means.

Reputable firm of engineers but obviously being brought in by her its not independent.

The pictures look like soot not tar. If the chimney is in a bad way you'll see oily tar deposits often streaked down the wall if aided by water. I didn't see anything like that on your pictures.

SAID OR WROTE?

• Advertisement

SAID OR WROTE?

Said but we are getting report on it now aswell. So happy days. Hopefully

Said but we are getting report on it now aswell. So happy days. Hopefully
    If the report is addressed to your neighbour you can't rely on it as it will have a disclaimer to that effect... all mine do... :)

Advertisement