Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

• 25-07-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Time to start a thread for this!

This is out tomorrow.
    The review embargo is at 3pm today.

From the Director :
    “To end the game with just one of the three houses, it took me 80 hours. I did not cut the vocals or cutscenes, of course. So if you want to do the three paths, it can take you more than 200 hours, ” said Toshiyuki Kasukihara.

There is also a new game+, and there is a very hard mode being released as free DLC after launch. So yeah - lots of content in this game.

E3 Trailer:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never played any FE game but looking forward to picking this up tomorrow!

Heard the game was "leaked" a few days ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I've been wanting to try a fire emblems game out for awhile now, i actually thought the other Fire emblem game (Warriors) was just your traditional fire emblem game, but it justs action beat em up it appears? Like Hyrule warriors is to Zelda?

So I should just ignore Warriors and go with Three houses... right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, Warriors is a Musou game (button mashing against thousands of enemies, with some strategy elements).

This is more like a traditional Fire Emblem game.

The review embargo just lifted.

9/10 seems to the the general consensus. Great stuff. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Skimmed over a few of the reviews as I'm at work but as said above a lot of 9/10 and 5/5's coming in. Looking forward to giving this a lash when it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How do these games play exactly? Never touched a Fire Emblem game before and only picked up a switch this week.

Turn based RPG with lots of story elements, great anime graphics and very deep strategy.

Look up fire emblem three houses gameplay (or review) on youtube. It will explain it better than I can. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How do these games play exactly? Never touched a Fire Emblem game before and only picked up a switch this week.

Pretty much in the same boat, but this review helped me get the basic gist (it was the first one that popped up in my feed, so there could well be better vids out there at explaining stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mr E wrote: »
    Turn based RPG with lots of story elements, great anime graphics and very deep strategy.

Look up fire emblem three houses gameplay (or review) on youtube. It will explain it better than I can. :o

I would not be calling it turn based or people will think it is more like traditional RPG games, it is a tactics game in the same vain as Disgaea, Valkyria and Advance Wars.

A tactics game that you play turn by turn? Splitting hairs, Xenji. :p

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    A tactics game that you play turn by turn? Splitting hairs, Xenji. :p

Ah now tactical RPG is a genre in itself, imagine it somebody claimed Tactics Orge was a turn based RPG :eek::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

In fairness, I'd as much sympathy for the consumers who were horrified by the Tactical aspects of Tactics Ogre as I'd have for the ones who were appalled by the game having Ogres in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Anyone know of Argos are stocking this? Nothing on the website as of yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Yakult wrote: »
    Anyone know of Argos are stocking this? Nothing on the website as of yet...

They are usually slow with putting up new releases, my guess is it will be on their site come Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I don't know if Irish stores automatically stock the same stuff as in the UK, but the British stores definitely have it. Looks like they're just slower updating the site as nix says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Was there a stock shortage on this not much around anywhere

Mine arrived today, but I will not have it till tomorrow morning when it is in the Parcel Motel.

I do not think there should be a shortage, Fates was the best selling game in the series to date so they know there will be a high demand for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Gamestop didnt get it on stock today(kilkenny)said the shipping company delayed it that they would have it Saturday or Monday and 10e off for people who pre ordered it.

If anyone is planning on using English voices Nintendo are releasing a future patch to remove Chris Niosi (Byleth) from the game after a string of sexual assault allegations.

So it turns out that Intelligent Systems played only a small part in the development of the game and instead it was Koei Tecmo who were the primary developers, led by Kou Shibusawa who created Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition and was also a co-producer on Nioh.

It throws up the question as well as to what Intelligent Systems are working on if they could not fully focus on this, a new or remastered version of a Paper Mario or Advance Wars game?

• Advertisement

How are folks getting on with this? I've only played just over and hour and liking it so far. Just exploring the monastery, fairly chilled. Voice acting is very good. Just at the part where I choose my house, think I'll go with the Blue Lions.

I am about half way through with it, there are really no bad games in this series and this is no different. Went with the Black Eagles as they seemed to have the more interesting characters and they play the way I like at the start, the difficulty is starting to increase now but no grinding is needed if you do everything in the monastery correctly.

It also has a nice collection of Japanese voice actors from various anime and you can clearly see how having a different studio handle most of the game development has refreshed the series a bit.

Xenji wrote: »
    I am about half way through with it, there are really no bad games in this series and this is no different. Went with the Black Eagles as they seemed to have the more interesting characters and they play the way I like at the start, the difficulty is starting to increase now but no grinding is needed if you do everything in the monastery correctly.

It also has a nice collection of Japanese voice actors from various anime and you can clearly see how having a different studio handle most of the game development has refreshed the series a bit.

Cheers Xenji, good to get insight from someone who's got decent experience with the series. This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I'm going with the English audio cos, unlike most JRPG's where the English can be intolerable (looking at you Xenoblade 2), I think the FE voice acting is done very well so far.

As far as battles go I've only played the prologue one so can't really comment on that side of it. I did read an article with a little bit of background on the different houses and saw that the story with Black Eagles is supposed to be one of the better ones but your a bit squishier at the start so went with Blue Lions as I think they are supposed to be pretty good for people not used to the series. Will see how it goes, its a big decision considering they're quoting around 80hrs for a play-through.

I think my partner is addicted,shes already put in 60 hours and an her 3rd reply

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

johnf26 wrote: »
    I think my partner is addicted,shes already put in 60 hours and an her 3rd reply

I thought each play through was a minimum of 60 hours?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought each play through was a minimum of 60 hours?

You can do it in around 40-45 hours if you are used to the series on the first play through, I say for newcomers or people playing on hard it would be closer to 60, each of the following routes after the first play though should take about half the time.

skerry wrote: »
    Cheers Xenji, good to get insight from someone who's got decent experience with the series. This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

I'm going with the English audio cos, unlike most JRPG's where the English can be intolerable (looking at you Xenoblade 2), I think the FE voice acting is done very well so far.

As far as battles go I've only played the prologue one so can't really comment on that side of it. I did read an article with a little bit of background on the different houses and saw that the story with Black Eagles is supposed to be one of the better ones but your a bit squishier at the start so went with Blue Lions as I think they are supposed to be pretty good for people not used to the series. Will see how it goes, its a big decision considering they're quoting around 80hrs for a play-through.

Yeah you are right about the Black Eagles at the start, but Hubert and Bernadetta can both end up one hitting most enemies after a short period of time as a monk and archer respectively, then you have Ferdinand who you can quickly get his riding up to be a Cavalier and you can have Dorothea as a Warlock.

Have your MC focus on swords, Casper and Edelgard on Axes and Armour and finally Petra on Swords and riding to get her as a Pegasus Knight and you will have a very balanced team, plus you have a dedicated healer in Linhardt.

Also do not forget to max out classes before you change them as you will get permanent stat boosts for doing it.

70hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm about 10 hours in, and I'm really enjoying it. I was a bit skeptical, but you really do end up caring for the students, and what could have been a grind, is actually a very interesting leveling system, with some great dialogue.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah you are right about the Black Eagles at the start, but Hubert and Bernadetta can both end up one hitting most enemies after a short period of time as a monk and archer respectively, then you have Ferdinand who you can quickly get his riding up to be a Cavalier and you can have Dorothea as a Warlock.

Have your MC focus on swords, Casper and Edelgard on Axes and Armour and finally Petra on Swords and riding to get her as a Pegasus Knight and you will have a very balanced team, plus you have a dedicated healer in Linhardt.

Also do not forget to max out classes before you change them as you will get permanent stat boosts for doing it.

I'm early days yet cos I don't remember any tutorials coming up on leveling particular skills or focusing on classes, least not that I remember.

Only just finished the first mock battle in the Monastery. Need to look up how to work on recruiting but I'm guessing its a bit early for that too. I hear Lysithea is supposed to be one of the better ones to recruit, think she levels fast or something.

Enjoying it so far, first FE game so taking my time to get used to the mechanics. Think I'll stick with Blue Lions and maybe keep Black Eagles for another play-through

Advertisement