Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the Civil Service but pay is an issue

Options
  • 25-07-2019 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I have a friend who wants to move to a civil service position, he's looking at a Clerical Officer role but the drop in pay is significant.

Are there any supports or allowances for people coming in with a fair bit of experience? Should he just wait for an EO or AO role which suits?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

dylanyahoo wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a friend who wants to move to a civil service position, he's looking at a Clerical Officer role but the drop in pay is significant.

Are there any supports or allowances for people coming in with a fair bit of experience? Should he just wait for an EO or AO role which suits?

Thanks

You start at the bottom of the scale, there is a bit of leeway if you change from Public to civil afaik but other than that nope.
    That's pretty much the trade off, the work-life balance is great but you'll never earn as much as in the private industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dylanyahoo wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

There are no supports. Sometimes there is recognition of service if you've been on a CO equivalent grade in another government agency. Sometimes there isn't.

Sure he can wait for an EO or AO graded role - but he may not get the job for along time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Next EO competition for Dublin will likely be 2020 (2021 for outside) and it can take as long as two years to go through the hiring process depending on your Order of Merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

There are no supports - and there are lots of people with a lot of experience joining the Civil Service as COs.

Has the person applied for CO already or are they thinking about applying for the next intake?

You need to have a minimum of two years experience in the Civil Service before you can even apply for an internal EO position. But you can apply for the open positions even when you are a CO.

People don't join the Civil Service for the money. But it is very family friendly, very flexible and the shorter working year is great - even if you do have to tell them when you want to be off, a year in advance. I informed my boss this week about when I would like the shorter working year next summer.

Advertisement