Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which folding attic stairs?

Options
  • 25-07-2019 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I'm getting a new attic ladder put in and I'm a bit lost about which one to choose.

I'm looking for a Stira type one and had only heard of them before I started looking into this.
    But I see that there's loads of different brands out there with very little that I can see between them (without actually trying them out, which isn't really an option)

Some of the things I'm looking for:
    - fits a 2700 high ceiling
    - is nice and sturdy/long lasting/good quality timber on ladder
    - has the ladder stepped out from the trap-door to allow for extra food room
    - preferably less steep

I've looked into Stira, but also Fakro (amazon(DOT)co.uk/Fakro-LWK-Loft-Ladder-1200/dp/B015Y893BE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fakro+ladder&qid=1564064353&s=gateway&sr=8-1) and this one ( amazon(DOT)co.uk/Deluxe-Wooden-Loft-Ladder-Handrails/dp/B001O3CJ8S/ref=pd_day0_hl_60_2/259-5686292-1875249?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001O3CJ8S&pd_rd_r=08d284ac-cf19-4bc0-a66a-46589ba69726&pd_rd_w=dstIp&pd_rd_wg=aKwDD&pf_rd_p=92d624bb-a334-423e-8722-8024dd09667f&pf_rd_r=DR9YDQ046JYKTT7Y4RGY&psc=1&refRID=DR9YDQ046JYKTT7Y4RGY)

So what have folks found with different brands?
    Were any noticeably better?
    Why do Stira seem to be 2-3 times the price of others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Have a Stira in about 20yrs
    Cant comment on others but one of the best investments I ever put into the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Have a Stira in about 20yrs
    Cant comment on others but one of the best investments I ever put into the house

Yeah, the only ones I can remember using are Stira and seemed good.

The problem is most other brands look the same on the face of it and I can't see anything to explain the huge price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

I installed a Minka loft ladder 6 years ago. . Really pleased with the airtightness and thick insulation integrated into the hatch.

Got mine from Stakelums in Thurles and pleasantly surprised at the price, €180 at the time, for a quality Austrian product.

Similar to this one:
    https://www.topline.ie/building-supplies/ladders-scaffolding/ladders/attic-ladders/minka/polar-extreme-airtight-loft-ladder

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Do stira still do the installation as they did mine but that was a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Do stira still do the installation as they did mine but that was a long time ago

Yes, comes with a guarantee also.
    Have one since last year and wouldn't be without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Got one in local co-op.

Was 110 euro and easy to install by lengthening our attic access door.

The fold out ladder might not be as sturdy as a stira but has done the job for us for nearly 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,370 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I got a stira when they very first came out - saw it advertised on the Late Late Show, must have been nearly 30 years ago as we moved into that house 31 years ago and got it within about a year I think. Solid as a rock, still going perfect when I sold the house last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Most of them are a little more flimsy than the stira but unless you want to use it everyday and are about 20 stone, most of them are fine.
    Get the widest one possible though.
    Woodies for example seem to stock one but it's narrow and would be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

You'll be delira with your Stira

• Registered Users Posts: 68,728 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I've actually put three of these in in my time, a Stira first, one I bought and fitted myself, and one fitted by a local lad for 299e.
    My opinion: I am flabbergasted by the PR of Stira...must be the most successful campaign ever, because all 3 to my knowledge (I still use the first and third) are still functioning exactly equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The power of the late late.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

From Stira's website:

price-comparison.jpg

They are obviously takin the p!ss.

Buy one yourself and get a good carpenter to fit it.

Will save you a few 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭dodzy

Regularly in Woodies for circa 100. Goodwins also for not much more but they typically have at least 2 widths. The Woodies one seems to be 600mm width. I’ve done quite a few and have never had the luxury of the joist centers accommodate this width. Always seem to have to get the 550mm and just insert filler pieces. Easy enough job if you’re handy. Made easier towards the end with two pair of hands.

They do indeed.
    I got a quote off them with/without fitting - it was 2-3 times the price unfitted.
    The extra for fitting was pretty reasonable though.

I installed a Minka loft ladder 6 years ago. . Really pleased with the airtightness and thick insulation integrated into the hatch.

Got mine from Stakelums in Thurles and pleasantly surprised at the price, €180 at the time, for a quality Austrian product.

Similar to this one:
    https://www.topline.ie/building-supplies/ladders-scaffolding/ladders/attic-ladders/minka/polar-extreme-airtight-loft-ladder

I really like the look of that.
    The amount of insulation is great - might be the winner.

I've actually put three of these in in my time, a Stira first, one I bought and fitted myself, and one fitted by a local lad for 299e.
    My opinion: I am flabbergasted by the PR of Stira...must be the most successful campaign ever, because all 3 to my knowledge (I still use the first and third) are still functioning exactly equally.

That could be the big difference alright.

There's a couple that are obviously lower quality, but most of them seem to be about on the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭dodzy

€400 for an OEM stira unfitted. Scandelous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

One thing i would like is a bigger step so as not getting the feeling your climbing a ladder as sore on the feet and if unsteady a side rail when your older to assist in making it easier to get up there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was looking into a stira a few years ago, but it looked flimsy. So I bought a Fakro, and fitted it myself.

Advertisement