Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a great pub great.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

theteal wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe I'm doing it wrong but when I walk into an unknown pub I like to have something I've not sampled before. I've been accused of being a beer snob before (jokingly, by the wife) but I just liken it to restaurants, I'd have my favourite meals but I'm not going to order the same every time.

Another thing, over here, Tuborg will be more expensive in pubs than Carlsberg. How many Irish people think Tuborg is the cheap Carlsberg equivalent? It's all just marketing.

Yeah, I'd be the same tbh, I have my "defaults" which would usually be Hop House 13 or failing that Heineken or whatever p!ssy lager is on tap will be fine but if I see something I like that's not usually on tap like Budvar I'll have a few of them and I'll usually give something I haven't tried a go as long as it's a type of beer I like (lager, pale ale, wheat beer etc depending on the mood).

As for what makes a pub great, well the company is the most important of course and I could sit pretty much anywhere if there's decent conversation flowing but aside from that, no loud music (low background music or even just a quieter area of the pub is fine too) to facilitate the conversation and also no TVs (or again an area without) but I don't really follow any sports so I'm biased on that one I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Beer garden, or some outdoor area is a must for me.

Not just for smoking, but I don't actually like being inside a pub. I like the sociability of being outside. People are much more open to striking up conversation.

Choice of beer is also important. I like my craft IPA.

I'll default to a stout quite happily though. But not to lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Not just for smoking, but I don't actually like being inside a pub. I like the sociability of being outside. People are much more open to striking up conversation.

I agree with that. Unfortunately it tends to be uncomfortable wooden picnic tables. Fair enough as it has to be durable. The jackpot would be comfortable outdoor seating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Exactly that. Very few people order the exact same meal every time. But lots of people order the exact same drink every time. Variety is the spice of life.

I don't know where I would put tuborg TBH. Completely agree on marketing.

Think fosters as an aussie lager. Australians have good lagers. Fosters is just a cheap generic with great marketing.

I watched the 6nations match between Scotland and Italy and there was loads of Tennants sponsorship. I presumed it was because Tennants sponsor Scotland, right? Wrong. Tennants sponsored the Italian team. It's a premium trendy lager in Rome these days apparently. Marketing is key.

I don't think I've ever had a good lager on draft in a pub. It's all generic bland stuff.

You would be very hard pressed to find Fosters in Australia. Brilliant marketing ploy. I used to remember it all over the Melbourne Grand Prix but it really is almost unknown over there.

• Advertisement

I agree with that. Unfortunately it tends to be uncomfortable wooden picnic tables. Fair enough as it has to be durable. The jackpot would be comfortable outdoor seating.

Oh you're lucky with your picnic tables.

Sitting on a beer keg in Mutton Lane can block the circulation. Still love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    You would be very hard pressed to find Fosters in Australia. Brilliant marketing ploy. I used to remember it all over the Melbourne Grand Prix but it really is almost unknown over there.

Yeah Fosters is an English thing. It's like the default setting for English pubs. Where most Irish pubs will have Carlberg, Heineken and Bud as your default lager taps (at least it used to be that way), it's Fosters that's ubiquitous over here.

Yeah Fosters is an English thing. It's like the default setting for English pubs. Where most Irish pubs will have Carlberg, Heineken and Bud as your default lager taps (at least it used to be that way), it's Fosters that's ubiquitous over here.

And Carling is always on tap in the UK. Shudder.

Interesting point about those generic 4% lagers. They pay tax based on the alcohol content. The revenue service, HMRC, accused them of underpaying tax based on the 4% alcohol content advertised. They said they actually brew 3.5% lager and are allowed up to .5% tolerance in what they advertise to allow small brewers to not fall foul of the laws by accident.

But they were brewing it at precisely 3.5% and advertising at 4% and paying tax at 3.5%. Sneaky

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A pub that knows when a punter has had enough.
    This is quite rare in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Slight diversion. I'm led to believe I'm going here later. Now it's nowhere near what I'd regard as my preference of pub under normal circumstances but it's been 35+ degrees here for the last few days so I'm really looking forward to it yet still a bit sceptical.

Is this anyone's idea of hell? If it takes ages to get served, my enthusiasm for it will dissipate quickly and thankfully I know a few "old man" pubs around there that'll do nicely.

• Advertisement

Slight diversion. I'm led to believe I'm going here later. Now it's nowhere near what I'd regard as my preference of pub under normal circumstances but it's been 35+ degrees here for the last few days so I'm really looking forward to it yet still a bit sceptical.

Is this anyone's idea of hell? If it takes ages to get served, my enthusiasm for it will dissipate quickly and thankfully I know a few "old man" pubs around there that'll do nicely.

Don't know but looks good.

TBH I found it hard to find a nice pub in Central London, I guess you have to know the area.

Most places were either trendy cocktail bars or staid traditional but a bit false.

(I'd say sneak off to the old man bars after a couple)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

nthclare wrote: »
    When you're out surfing on a winter's evening, you're drying yourself and the wind's Baltic...
    You're drying for a hot drink and you drive from Doolin via Liscannor and Egan's looks like the blind's are down...

But you check the door anyhow and it's open and the blast of hot air hits you, the fire's on and you get a warm smile from the Spanish bar lady when you walk in the door....

Egan's the best pub in Clare

sounds great, but I'd imagine it's ruined by tourism now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dim lighting, cosy seats, no TV, preferably not too busy, no kids and good stout with good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The pub that doesn't show "the match".
    Any match.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Fionnbarra's :D

anacc wrote: »
    Fionnbarra's :D

Yup. My local!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

No craft beer and no music

Clean, regularly maintained bathrooms. Absolute pigsties with filthy browned tiling, urinals and toilets from about 1960 run by filthy fat cúnts who wash their hands once a month is the norm for a good 60% of pubs in Ireland. And then they think you'd trust them to suddenly become conscious of hygiene when preparing food on the same premises. Eh, no.

A place where you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice because of a blaring tv/music or because some obnoxious pricks are screaming at a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

two options for me and both very different so it shows that it can be all about the mood.

The Blue Loo in Glengarriff, cork. unassuming,extremely clean but it doesn't look it. has a nice cosy interior and a good staff and the outside is perfect for sitting and watching the world go by. All just perfect when you just want to enjoy a drink and relax.

The other pub, and it is the complete opposite, was the old bar in UCD circa 2000. its long gone but the best nights (and days) were had in there. it was nothing to write home about at all and would sound like a nightmare if I described it to some on this thread ( a bit dirty, benches and a few booths for seating,loud, juke box on the wall, pool tables, queues at the bar at times, no phones out cause phones were for talking and texting only at the time, had the odd band playing, amazing atmosphere) however it made for some of the unrivaled best nights, great spot never to be recreated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Clean, regularly maintained bathrooms. Absolute pigsties with filthy browned tiling, urinals and toilets from about 1960 run by filthy fat cúnts who wash their hands once a month is the norm for a good 60% of pubs in Ireland. And then they think you'd trust them to suddenly become conscious of hygiene when preparing food on the same premises. Eh, no.

A place where you can have a conversation without having to raise your voice because of a blaring tv/music or because some obnoxious pricks are screaming at a tv.

60%? Well, that’s obviously nonsense.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jesus, some very morose and introverted characters around here. I think it’s a mortuary some of you want; and not a pub. Whispering to each other as you sip on a pint of Neckbeard Nectar Double IPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Carnival. Best pub ever.

No work talk is a rule I'm pretty strict on in the pub. People sometime do it when they come in straight from work. I'll give them a couple of minutes grace to switch off from work but then I'm fairly ruthless with enforcing the 'no shop talk' rule. Funny or interesting anecdotes or genuine work dilemmas are fine. But bitching about colleagues for its own sake or chatting through your work are strictly banned from the pub with my friends.

It's fine to sit quietly if you ha e nothing to Contribute to the chat at the moment, but don't turn the chat to shop talk. Do you know who wants to hear about the intricacies of your job? Nobody. That's who.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

No work talk is a rule I'm pretty strict on in the pub. People sometime do it when they come in straight from work. I'll give them a couple of minutes grace to switch off from work but then I'm fairly ruthless with enforcing the 'no shop talk' rule. Funny or interesting anecdotes or genuine work dilemmas are fine. But bitching about colleagues for its own sake or chatting through your work are strictly banned from the pub with my friends.

It's fine to sit quietly if you ha e nothing to Contribute to the chat at the moment, but don't turn the chat to shop talk. Do you know who wants to hear about the intricacies of your job? Nobody. That's who.

What if your friends were lesbian prostitutes?

Pissartist wrote: »
    What if your friends were lesbian prostitutes?

Humm. Interesting question.
    I work with auditors. Soooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Jesus, some very morose and introverted characters around here. I think it’s a mortuary some of you want; and not a pub. Whispering to each other as you sip on a pint of Neckbeard Nectar Double IPA.

It’s the quiet old man pubs you should be frequenting Johnny, rather than disgracing yourself leering after young wans in younger pubs, the toilets are better too and you’ll be spending a fair amount of time in there, sniffing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Aul fellas.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Was in a pub recently.... and only take Laser card for €20 min. My drinks were €12 and the lady behind the bar told me where the nearest ATM was.... about 10 minutes away. It was too late at that stage to back out as she has pulled tge drinks.... but I said I go to ATM after I finish my drinks. Boy was she sweating that I didn't do a runner.... I dragged those drinks out for a good 30 minutes.

Told her after I came pack with cash that she not doing herself any favours with that rule....I won't be calling again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Masala wrote: »
    Was in a pub recently.... and only take Laser card for €20 min. My drinks were €12 and the lady behind the bar told me where the nearest ATM was.... about 10 minutes away. It was too late at that stage to back out as she has pulled tge drinks.... but I said I go to ATM after I finish my drinks. Boy was she sweating that I didn't do a runner.... I dragged those drinks out for a good 30 minutes.

Told her after I came pack with cash that she not doing herself any favours with that rule....I won't be calling again

I ****ing hate when you get to a bar and see a sign saying "€10 minimum on card"..it's actually fairly common. What's the story here? It's such a hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Irish barmen. This can’t be emphasised enough. The full time Irish barman is a godsend...couple of orders on the go. Quick efficient service.

Compare this to the continent or even the UK where generally it’s some student who’ll only be there a few weeks who thinks they have to stand over each pint as it’s pouring and can’t pull another until that one is done and whose head would probably explode if he had to deal with more than one customer at a time.

Advertisement