Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the water taste especially bad recently or am I just sick of it?

Options
  • 25-07-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin has never had nice water. I am always reminded when I go abroad and drink tap water and ours, by contrast, literally tastes like it came from a swimming pool. But I always try to ignore it because I know its a side-effect of the cleaning process and it's perfectly safe.

But the last couple of days I actually just stopped drinking and poured it away because it's just so awful.

Is it the heat? Does the water soak up/hold more of the chlorine residuals? It's repulsive whatever it is. Probably going to get one of those Brita filter jugs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a burst main in Drumcondra on Sunday so if you are in D9 or D3 that could be a factor.

I use a Brita filter jug as in a hard water area and it makes a big difference.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Zillah wrote: »
    Is it the heat? Does the water soak up/hold more of the chlorine residuals? It's repulsive whatever it is. Probably going to get one of those Brita filter jugs.
    In hot weather bacteria will grow exponentially faster, so they can put in more chlorine. If reservoirs are running low they will add more. The burst pipe mentioned also can be reason to put in more -in case stuff got in throught the cracks. When work was going on near my work the water absolutely stank of chlorine.

You can just put an open a jug in the fridge and it should dissipate off overnight. Homebrewers will do this as the chlorine can cause off tastes and possibly inhibit yeast growth. They will fill big drums with water and just leave a cover on loosely. Boiling will also drive it off but boiled and cooled water can taste manky, if you shake it up a bit to aerate it then it would be better.

Advertisement