Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap garden gravel

Options
  • 25-07-2019 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, does anyone know the best place to get garden gravel cheap? It doesn't have to be anything fancy as I'll be putting a large garden shed on it so it's really just for drainage.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look for a quarry in your area that supplies crushed stone for such as forest roads. There is a name (bunch of letters/numbers) for it but I don't know what it is). For a relatively small amount - which is what you are looking for - delivery will be expensive compared with the cost of the material, but it will still be a lot cheaper than 'garden' anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Sounds like 804 you're looking for.

Any quarry will have it, even hardware stores for smaller amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Drainage or sub base? Different application, I think.

The purpose of 804 type aggregate, a mixture of coarse angular gravel and fines, is to be mechanically compacted into a stable later to go under slab foundations, replacing topsoil. It doesn't really drain very well.

For drainage you want round pea gravel, but that doesn't make for a strong foundation.

Advertisement