Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting insurance query

Options
  • 25-07-2019 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

just saw a video on facbook group of a truck wheel rolling down the road and goes acrosss into on comming traffic and casues a crash with an oncomming vehicle.

someone sugested using the camera car to nudge it towards the ditch and away from oncomming traffic.

how would this work from an insurance point of view.
    in the way it happened in the video the blame would be on the truck

but would the tucks insurance pay out for damage caused by the camera car driver to their own vehicle. they caused it to themselves.

how would all this fair out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd imagine that if the driver of the car knowing and purposely drove into an object, knowing that damage would be caused then the driver would be somewhat responsible.

What if the wheel bounced off the car, and was deflected into the path of a pedestrian, ultimately causing a death..do you think the drivers actions would be deemed irresponsable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

mikeecho wrote: »
    I'd imagine that if the driver of the car knowing and purposely drove into an object, knowing that damage would be caused then the driver would be somewhat responsible.

What if the wheel bounced off the car, and was deflected into the path of a pedestrian, ultimately causing a death..do you think the drivers actions would be deemed irresponsable ?

thats the tricky bit. the video was on a motoryway or simlar so probably no pedestrians around.

ultimatly the camera car would be trying to stop one accident but could cause another

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

thats the tricky bit. the video was on a motoryway or simlar so probably no pedestrians around.

ultimatly the camera car would be trying to stop one accident but could cause another

You've just answered your own question.
    If the camera car causes the accident. They're responsible.

You've just answered your own question.
    If the camera car causes the accident. They're responsible.

Yes but can argue that they are trying to stop an accident that is already happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Yes but can argue that they are trying to stop an accident that is already happening

Which is not your obligation

• Advertisement

Which is not your obligation

i understand that. but if you try to potentially save someones life but nudging the tyre into the ditch.

im wondering more about the insurance side of and how that would work out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

i understand that. but if you try to potentially save someones life but nudging the tyre into the ditch.

You could actually make things worse because you are not trained/ qualified to take such action. If you feel you might be entitled to repairs in such a scenario, are you willing to accept the financial consequences if it goes pear shaped?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can't nudge something when you have a combined speed of nearly 200km/h and mass of nearly 2t. Even a small stone flicked at motorway speeds can be deadly don't go messing with a few hundred kg of wheel.

The insurance would see it as you purposely hitting an object that causes problems for others, it's your fault what happens after you nudge it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can't nudge something when you have a combined speed of nearly 200km/h and mass of nearly 2t. Even a small stone flicked at motorway speeds can be deadly don't go messing with a few hundred kg of wheel.

The insurance would see it as you purposely hitting an object that causes problems for others, it's your fault what happens after you nudge it.

it wouldnt have a combined speed of 200 . they are going the same direction.
    a car doing 120km/h hitting a car doing 110 is only a 10 km/h initial impact

i wouldnt advocate messing with a big wheel like that but it would be hard to sit back and watch it go to the other side of the road and maybe kill someone . especially if you would only nend up with a small dent or minor damage to your front wing ect

Advertisement