Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiral out - keep going

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on the 10k. Tough course alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I've lost motivation, there I've admitted it. Thought I could keep going through the lockdown but turns out I couldn't. It was too difficult to keep it going on a constant basis. The thoughts of going through it every day was not something I wanted to do. The lack of races was a major factor in it, along with being a lot busier with work.

Yes, I have fallen out of love with my log, and boards in general. Normally, I would be looking forward to updating it every week with the latest training, but once I let it slide a week or two, that was the beginning of the end. I even find myself skimming over other people's logs, rather than reading them fully (sorry everyone).

Otherwise, running is going great. Out 6 days a week, 1 session, 1 with hill sprints and a fast long run at the weekend. Highlight was running a sub 65 10 mile in training (with VF 4%). Goal is to do that with normal(ish) shoes and have a 10 mile and HM TTs coming up in December and January.

Might see an update before Christmas, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

For what its worth, I can relate. My motivation for all things running have deteriorated recently. Your training and sessions in particular have been impressive- keep her lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck with your running Trev! Some great training going on :D

Quick update from me. Training has been going well, focussing on the 10k-10m area the past few months. Most Sundays saw me doing 6-10 mile tempos, ranging from 6:45 per mile to 6:30 recently.

So yesterday saw me do a 10 mile TT. Had a nice taper week leading up to it so was feeling fresh for it, for once. Factoring in the taper, and i would be wearing the AlphaFlys, I had a notion of being able to hold a pace between 6:15 to 6:20. Still felt it would be a tough one to make.

To give me every chance to achieve this, I decided to run a bit later than normal (10am) and give myself some decent fuel. Took a Maurten 320 drink before the run and also a gel halfway through. Decided on a good route, not too good, but took some advantage of the wind direction

Starting the first mile too quickly again but settled into a 6:13 pace for the first mile. Thought it was too fast but settled into this pace for the next few miles (6:14, 6:14) with a crosswind. Next two saw me get some nice tailwind so was able to increase pace and also get some breath back (6:08, 6:12). Next mile was a hilly one followed by a mile into the wind, was happy to keep the pace up (6:14, 6:14).

Average pace on the watch was around 6:12. Was feeling good so knew I could keep it going. In fact I was able to push it on a bit, knowing that I could suffer through the last two if needed. Next mile was 6:08. Up and over a steep footbridge turned my legs to jelly but knew I could make it to the end. Second last mile was 6:04. Was really suffering now because I was really pushing the pace. Average time on the watch dipped below 6:10 with a short bit to go which made me so happy. Last mile was in 5:53. Finishing time ended up being 61:32

Was really shocked at that time, never thought I would anywhere near that for a long long time. AlphaFlys were a big help, but the consistent training is the key. Last TT I did was in July in a time of 64:41 so it's a nice improvement since then.

I've decided to keep the log more up to date, with the return of races hopefully next year. Hope everyone's ready for some more mundane updates. This week is a recovery week so 6 boring runs to look forward to

• Advertisement

Great another log to read at the end of the week:rolleyes:;)

Well done on the 10mile TT, well paced & a strong finish, be great to test all these times in a real race hopefully next year:pac:

Great another log to read at the end of the week:rolleyes:;)

I did deserve that alright :D

Treviso wrote: »
    I did deserve that alright :D

:D

Recovery week last week after the TT, with 6 easy runs scheduled. I had the added distraction of completing the club's last 3 Christmas runs, which helped a lot in making those easy runs go by quickly.

Tues 15th - 6m easy, 8:27avg
    Legs felt ok after the TT and day's rest. Wanted to run in a different place every day this week. For this, I ran through Murphy's Farm.

Wed 16th - 10k easy, 8:59avg
    Out to Ballincollig regional park for this one. Had to do a 10k progression run as part of the club's weekly xmas runs. Didn't want to do a proper progression, so decided on a slow version. It was tough to get the first mile as slow as possible, churned out a 9:36 for it. The next 5 miles flew by as I slowly got faster. Went from 9:36, 9:21, 9:08, 8:56, 8:48, 8:20 - was good fun this one

Thurs 17th - 6m easy, 9:15avg
    For the second xmas run, we needed to map a Christmas image in Strava with the route. Found it difficult to map anything out in the roads so decided to run in the Farm and use the open field as a blank canvas. Settled on an image of a present as it seemed simple enough. Small problem was the pitches were absolutely waterlogged. I was wading through muck trying to get it completed. Was happy with the result though (attached). There was some fabulous efforts put up by others, including a 20 mile reindeer head.

Friday 18th - 6m easy, 8:04avg
    Last xmas run and needed to do a speed session, 8x3'. Again, I couldn't do this as fast as I wanted to, so settled for doing the 3 minutes at 7:30. It was quite a change to the normal easy pace, and flew by again. Out to Tramore Valley park for this one

Sat 19th - 6m easy, 8:14avg
    Same route as Monday's route, disappointed in that.

Sunday 20th - 12m easy, 8:26avg
    Decided to try out the new walkway by the Dunkettle roundabout, to see if opens up a different running route to the east. First 3 miles were nice and flat out to the roundabout. The new walkway, however, was really steep and brought me onto a busy road with no hard shoulder. Managed to survive and run towards Glounthaune. The route was ok, bit lumpy and roads with no hard shoulder. It definitely made the 12 miles go by quite quickly, but probably wont venture that way until they improve it some more (I am quite spoiled/picky with the routes I have already)

Nice easy 42 miles for the week, brings me up to 2,430 for the year. Question is now can I reach the 2500 before the year is out, not looking likely to be honest.

Mon 21st - 6m easy, 8:32avg
    A rare Monday run as it's normally my rest day. Switched the rest day to Christmas day instead. Legs were fine from the previous day's long run. Ran around Tramore Valley park

Tues 22nd - 6m easy, 8:48avg
    Slower pace here as I decided to run around the UCC farm. The ground was seriously muddy, felt like my feet were sticking into the ground at times. However, it was an enjoyable run and a change to the norm

Wed 23rd - 20'@10 mile pace, 20' WU and CD
    After the 10 mile TT, my new 10 mile pace is 6:10. Would be more of an effort to run this pace without the Alphflys on, but 20 minutes at that pace seemed reasonable. Legs were a bit heavy after the muddy run but the 6:10 pace seemed ok for the first 10 minutes. Last ten minutes were a bit tougher but managed to complete it. Nice feeling running low 19 minute 5ks in training.

Thurs 24th - 6m easy, 8:25avg
    Back to Tramore Valley for this one. Legs were quite ok so average pace was up a bit

Fri 25th - 1m easy with the family, 10:05
    Started a Christmas tradition of running a mile with the whole family. Was a lovely day for a run so not much complaints from the two girls. An actual decent pace for the 1 mile, might start them training for the Olympics soon :D

Sat 26th - 6m easy, 8:13avg
    A quicker than usual easy run after the days rest the day before. Off to Murphys farm walkway for this one.

Sun 27th - 8m@6:40, 4m WU & 3m CD
    Focus is now switched to more HM training. Paces are slightly slower but tempo distances will increase. There's a danger of complacency creeping in for these types of runs. It was a nice morning for the run, thankfully Storm Bella had disappeared overnight. 4 miles warmup is long for me but went by quickly. Found the 6:40 pace nice and steady, not comfortable but not overreaching. Was conscious not to go any quicker. Whilst my legs were a bit tired during the last mile, I felt like I could've continued for a few more (which I need to do next weekend). 3 mile cool down

Total of 48 miles this week. Does it count as 7 days running???
    Yearly mileage is at 2479, so I should make the 2500 by end of year

• Advertisement

Tues 29th - 6m easy, 8:42avg
    Out to the farm on a cold frosty morning. Decided to run here as ppl had reported the roads and paths were quite slippy. Started with the XC shoes on but switched back to normal shoes as the ground was quite firm from the cold.

Wed 30th - 20x1' on/off
    Was quite dismissive of this session, felt it would be quite easy. How wrong I was though. Target pace was between 5:35-5:40 in my head, which would be my hopeful 5k pace. Felt I was putting in consistent effort for each rep, but times were varied because of wind, tree cover and gps issues. Was feeling it towards the end but there wasn't a slow down

Thurs 31st - 6m easy, 8:45avg
    Same run around the farm again, with normal shoes for the whole thing. Liking the frozen conditions to allow me to run here again

Fri 1st - 6m easy, 9:04avg
    Out to Ballincollig regional park for this with the family, so decided to get the run in during that time. My daughters decided to join for the run on their bikes. First one bailed during the first mile but had the company of my eldest for 5 miles. Upon dropping her back to the playground, my youngest decided to join me for the last mile, on FOOT!! A 10:40 mile followed, which is my slowest for quite a long time (if ever)

Sat 2nd - 6m easy, 9:11avg
    Another farm run on a cold morning

Sun 3rd - 10m@6:40
    Left the run to a later time of 11am so the paths would be less icy, which worked to a degree. I've had a slight ache in my right hamstring for a couple of day so decided to wear the VFs for this run. 6:40 was a good pace, but with the paths being so slippy I was finding it difficult to stay on track. Hit the passage walkway with 4 miles left and they were treacherous. Was slipping and sliding my way down that way and naturally the pace decreased. 10 miles averaged at 6:45, which was fine in the circumstances. Did 4 miles warm down to put the total to 16 miles

Weekly mileage of 51 miles.

With the weather being so cold and paths being icy, this week's easy runs were all done on "grass" on the UCC farm. Ground was solid so it was like running on concrete but there was no chance of slipping. Only risk was ankle injuries due to the uneven ground in places. Overall, was great to be able to run so frequently there - weather was ideal for running. That covers Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday - all 6 mile easy

Wed 6th - 10x2' on/off (5 mile pace) 10x1' on/off (5k pace)
    First time doing 2' reps but heard that they were a difficult one (well the 20x2' one). From inputting the recent 10 mile time into the calculator, 5 mile pace was 5:53 and 5k was 5:44. Quite scared of that 5 mile pace to be honest, but feel I could go faster for the 5k - go figure.

With icy footpaths, decided to do this around the Centre Park loop in the city, nice flat 1.5m loop. Newly added segregated bike lanes gave a nice barrier to traffic. Bike lanes are one way so ran against so I could avoid any oncoming cyclist.

Did the first 2' rep on pace, 5:53 exactly, felt it but all good. 2nd one was 6:01 and 3rd was 6:07. I felt I was travelling just as fast as before so was baffled by the times. I soon discovered that both ends of the loop had tree cover, either that or my watch had issues there. Felt a bit frustrated after the third one so 4th was a 5:46. Followed by 5:51, 5:58, 5:55, 5:40 and 6:04 - effort seemed constant but times varied. Last one and major GPS issue put it at 6:55, knew this as my recovery pace was initially at 6:40 while I shuffled along. Ended with the 2' recovery pace being 7:18 :rolleyes:

Anyway the 1' reps continued the same way - 5:39, 5:52, 5:53, 5:39, 6:02(??), 5:42, 5:41, 5:45, 5:51 & 5:30. Was overall happy with the effort put in but was frustrated by the recorded times. Maybe some were slower and I wasn't putting the effort in but it's hard to tell now.

Sun 10th - 6miles @6:30, 4miles wu/cd
    Wanted to nail this one to show the improvements I've made. I was hit and miss at this pace before the 10 mile TT. Headed out later than normal to allow the ice on footpaths to melt some bit. 4 mile warmup was ok. First part of the fast 6 miles was the centre park loop from Wednesday. Wanted to bank some time here in case the paths around the Marina and Blackrock were icy. Got to the halfway point with a 6:24 average. It did feel like an an effort at that pace but thought I could maintain that for another 3 miles. Up and down the Blackrock castle drag and into the last 2 miles at 6:25 average. Small bit of ice on the Mahon point turn but ideal otherwise (apart from walkers...). Finished up with the 6:25 average in tact. 4 miles back to the car was okish, I've felt worse during cool downs. I have 8 miles at that pace next weekend, won't be going for that 6:25 avg then :D

Mileage: 51 miles again, 79 for the year

Interesting email receive this morning in regards to the Manchester marathon entry for Oct 10th. My thinking is there is more chance of a marathon going ahead in the UK than there is in Ireland, due to the projected vaccination rollouts. I've completed the registration for Manchester now so fingers crossed that I will definitely have a marathon in October. First choice will be DCM if both go ahead, but that will allow me to defer Manchester to 2022.

Right, two weeks to catch up on!

Tues 12th - 6m easy
    Not much to remember about this one. Weather had started to warm up a bit. Went to Tramore Valley park for this standard 6 miles

Wed 13th - 10x3' on/off 10x1' on off, 20' wu/cd
    A fairly balmy day so didn't need to worry about icy paths for this one. Never done a session like this before. 3 minutes were meant to be around 10k pace, and 1 minutes at 5k pace. At 6min/mile pace for 10k, the 3 mins part worked out to be a 10x800m session :eek:

First 3 were into the wind so probably worked more than I should've for them [6:01, 5:58, 6:00]. Next 3 were ok, was feeling it but to be expected [5:58, 6:01, 5:57]. Last 4 and I was really feeling it [5:57, 6:08, 6:10, 6:03]. I had nothing left after the last one, but still had the 10 1 min reps left.

Looking back, I felt like I was barely moving for those. I had to walk the 7th and 8th recoveries as I really needed to. The paces though, ranged from 5:40 to 5:50, so I was happy with that.

It was a really tough session and I felt it afterwards for a few days.

Thurs 14th - 6m easy
    Fri 15th - 6m easy
    Sat 16th - 6m easy
    Legs were really stiff on the Thursday, eased off a bit Friday and were back to normal by Saturday. Decided that my Zoom Fly 3s were to be retired (400 miles on them) and ordered a new pair of Nike Tempo Next%. Would wear the VF 4% for Sundays run

Sun 17th - 8m@6:30, 3m wu, 5m cd
    Normal early Sunday morning run. With the VF 4% on, the 6:30 pace seemed a lot more controlled for the 8 miles. Finished with an average of 6:27 and felt good afterwards.

55 miles for the week

Tues 19th - 6m easy
    Nippy 6m easy for me, with an average of 8:10 for it. Quite an enjoyable one

Wed 20th - 10'+8'+6'+4'+2', 3' recovery in between
    Enjoyed this session. New Tempo NEXT% arrived in perfect time, so I was keen to test them out here. Paces were meant to start out around the 10 mile race pace and progress from 10k to 5k to 3k to hard.

Was keen not to start off too fast but found myself cruising just over 6min pace for the 10'. Wasn't too tired after it so was able to go slightly faster for the 8 minutes, just under 6m/m. Still feeling ok, I knew the next 6 mins would be the toughest. Was able to run around 5:54m/m for it.

3 minutes recovery felt better this time round. I was flying around for the 4 mins at about the 5:42 pace, was getting to the end and saw that the footpath was blocked ahead with roadworkers. Had to come to nearly a stop here going past them which put the pace back to 5:49. Slightly miffed with that, I decided to give the 2 minutes a good blast. Put in a big push to give a pace of 5:07 for it.

Was thrilled with the session and didn't feel too wrecked from it

Thurs 21st, 6m easy
    Back to Murphy farm, similar to Monday but slower this time. Legs felt good considering

Fri 22nd, 8x12" hill sprints
    Went to Tramore valley where I used the same hill I used to use for the 30 sec hills. Its was either the hill isn't steep enough, or I've turned into a superhero but the paces were all in the 4.xx range. Will go back to the original hill next week

Sat 23rd, 6m easy
    The cold weather and ice are back!! Off to the farm to run on a frosty soft grass surface. Was a bit of a slog to be honest, ground was all over the place - rock hard, muddy, uneven etc.

Sun 24th - 10m@6:30, 3m wu/cd
    Never did I think I would be running 65 minute 10 miles as an everyday training run but guess the progress I have been making. Wanted to build on from last weeks run and try to get a controlled feeling to this one. Unfortunately, the normal pathways were deadly to run on from the overnight frost. Meant I had to go out later and run around the centre park loop for the whole thing.

The loop is about 1.5m in length, so it was going to be 6 and a half in total. Not the worst, but definitely not ideal. At least the loop was all flat so no hills to deal with. Was a strong headwind for half the loop so the whole 10 miles consisted of effort going into the wind, recover for the 2nd half.

Did manage to put consistent splits in for the entire run and felt ok for it. Averaged around 6:29 for the 10 miles in total, and felt I had more in me. A good day at the office.

52 miles for the week.

More of the same this week but had some interesting sessions.

Increased mileage of easy runs from 6 miles to 7, back to pre xmas times.

Tues 26th - 7m easy, 8:32avg
    Thurs 28th - 7m easy, 8:41avg
    Fri 29th - 10x12' hill sprints
    Sat 30th - 7m easy, 8:35avg

Wed 27th - lactate grenades 10x(3' on, 1' off, 1' on, 3' off)
    Was both excited and terrified at the thoughts of this session. Had a similar one 2 weeks ago but by all accounts, this one was designed for the person to blow up towards the end of it. the 3 mins on were meant to be at 10k pace and the 1 min at 5k pace. Wanted to ease into the paces at the start

Usually session feelings, wondered after the first two reps how I could complete the whole thing. Reps 3 to 6 and I've settled into it. Last four and I'm watch gazing, willing the reps away.

3 min paces: 6:00, 5:56, 5:57, 5:57, 5:58, 6:07 (gps), 5:56, 5:56, 5:49, 5:50
    1 min paces: 5:30, 5:21, 5:40, 5:43, 5:31, 5:31, 5:41, 5:39, 5:32, 5:22

The last two were quite a struggle but I didn't feel like blowing up or having to stop. My quads and calves felt twice their normal size, session put serious pressure on them. Think my days of playing soccer actually help me with this one. Was a great session in a sadistic way, was glad to complete it

Sun 31st - 12m@6:40
    Having done 10 miles at 6:30 the previous week, the fact that this was ten seconds slower per mile made me downplay this run in my head all week. The extra 2 miles didnt seem to factor in. Weather was going to be bad so that got me to focus properly for the run. Mapped the route and unfortunately there was no escaping the wind.

Rain was pouring from start to finish but I didnt really mind. First 6 miles were into a strongish wind. Didnt want to push the pace too much and gas myself for these miles. Pace was averaging around the 6:48 mark but wasn't too concerned. Was thankful to reach halfway and turn back in the opposite direction. Thing was I didn't feel any tailwind on the way back.

Anyway, pace started to pick up. I wasn't chasing the 6:40 average but it was heading that direction as the miles went by. My legs were feeling good with 2 miles to go so that was encouraging. Was able to push a bit and get the 6:40 average for the 12m

All week in my mind I was going to do a faster cooldown mile in order to get a HM PR. Obviously its a soft PR from a training run months and months ago but still knew I was going to do it. Did a quick change of top at the car and did a 7:10 cd mile which gave me a 1:28.30 HM time. Plenty more to come off that time, but still nice to go sub 1:30 for the first time.

58 miles for the week. Stepback next week

Stepback week this week so had 5 easy runs to entertain me, plus the same long run as last week

Tues 2nd - 7m easy, 8:27avg
    Wed 3rd - 8m easy, 8:13avg Legs were probably in session mode so pace was up a bit there
    Thurs 4th - 7m easy, 8:27avg
    Fri 5th - 12x12" hill sprints, 25' wu/cd Used the same hill as last week but was flying up the hill for the sprints, most of them sub 5min mile pace
    Sat 6th - 7m easy, 8:29avg Went to a boggy and muddy UCC farm for this one. Pace was quite fast considering how sticky the mud was.

Sun 7th - 12miles@6:40

As I said, exact same session as last week but different for two reasons. I had no monkey on my back to get a HM PB and changed the route so I wouldn't have to chase the pace for the second half of the run.

First 2 miles were with the wind and were quite comfortable. Went around the centre park road loop, so first bit into the wind which felt quite strong. Passed by the Stazza train group, who were flaking along at 5:30 pace :eek: Went up the marina and into a strong wind for the next couple of miles. Was happy to see the pace stay around the 6:40 mark as I took shelter on the railway line and up over the footbridge.

Next couple of miles had a side wind but was feeling ok and waiting to turn the corner and get a nice tailwind for the last time 3.5 miles. Got myself up and down the Blackrock castle hill with the average pace still at 6:40 so knew it was job done. Was able to coast home for the last three miles. Whilst my legs were feeling it for the last mile, I had plenty left in me and had finally ran a controlled session!

52 miles for the week, up to 297 for the year

What a sh*te week it was in terms of weather, I think I got drenched in 5 of 6 runs this week.

Tues 9th, 7m easy - 8:44
    With the cold weather in place and forecasted to snow, I thought I would be a week of running in the farm. Turns out this was the one and only run there. With the amount of rain that fell this week, it could be a while before I get to run there again.

Wed 10th, 20x1' on/off, 25' wu/cd
    This session is very deceptive, wasn't prepared for how tough it would be the last time I ran it. This time I was mentally prepared. One minute reps were a lot faster than before, with the average pace around the 5:25-5:30 mark. Felt strong during the reps and was consistent with the effort level, especially with the wind being so strong

Thurs 11th - 7m easy, 8:32avg
    Running from Murphy's farm to the straight road seems to be my favourite route these days.

Fri 12th - 12x12" hill sprints, 25' WU/CD
    Was not in the mood for this run today - weather was terrible and I was sick of getting soaked at this stage. Ran around the Blackrock loop and did the same hill as previous two weeks. Paces were slower for the sprints but put in a good overall effort. Felt better after the run, loosened the legs up

Sat 13th - 7m easy, 8:25avg
    Back to Murphy farms but this time the route was diverted numerous times due to flooded pathways. On one occasion, instead of doubling back I decided try a short cut through some bushes. Had to go through some nasty briars in shorts to get to the other side. Legs were nicely scratched to pieces, only realised after the run how much.

Sun 14th - 6m@6:25, 5 min rec, 6x45" (1:15rec). 4m wu/cd
    Weather was horrendous, wind was super strong from the south and rain was bucketing down. I was able to plan a nice route for the 6 miles though so was happy enough. It would be mainly crosswinds with 2 miles with a tailwind. The plan was to go at 6:20-6:25 pace but when the first mile came in at 6:02 I changed tact. The effort level was ok so decided to keep the pace going and see what happens.

Second and third mile were crosswinds but came in at 6:12 and 6:05. Was still feeling ok. Fourth mile started with a quarter mile into the wind so it did push me back. Once I turned the corner I had the strong wind at my back for the next mile or so. Fourth mile was 6:15 and fifth at 5:59. Last mile had me going over the Blackrock castle hill - it was either that hill or turn back into the wind. Legs did go a small bit jellyish at the top of the hill but recovered going back down.

Last mile finished at 6:09. It was then I realised I never programmed the 5 min rec so it went straight into the 45" reps. Decided to keep the same pace for the first one which would get me to 10k distance. I then guestimated the 5 min recovery and did 5 of the 45" reps. Paces for the 45" were still sub 5:30 so there was still pep in the legs. The 4 mile cool down was quite depressing, was soaked to the skin. Sod's law deemed that it would stop raining as soon as I got back to the car. Set a 10k PB of 37:59 for the tempo miles :eek:

54 miles for the week. 352 miles for the year.

The last few weeks have seen a bit of a breakthrough for me in terms of increasing pace. Have to say that working under my coach has been really great. I was with GOH from Feb 20 till end of August, and while the improvement was good under him, I was felt like I was on the edge in terms of effort, tiredness and probably injury. It's totally the opposite now. Since working with Stazza start of September, I've been working in the 10k/10m range. Two sessions a week (Wed and Sat) and the rest easy. It's such a tailored training program to the individual

I've never felt in better shape or have been close to feeling tired or injured. Sure, sessions are hard and body can be tired the follow day but overall I have more energy outside running than ever before. Its great to have other athletes in the stable to compare/contrast their training, motivate yourself to try catchup with them etc. TTs are organised as well, part of the training plan instead of just random dates. Since September, my 10 mile time has reduced from 65min (July) to 61min (Dec). I feel like I'm now in shape for a sub 60min 10 mile TT. Would recommend anyone thinking of getting a coach should go with him. Some great interviews with him on A Runner's life podcast, including a recent fascinating one on how to go from sub 3 marathon to sub 2:40

Without realising it, this week was was biggest ever weekly mileage at 59 and a half miles. It's a good sign that I'm not feeling the effects of it. I was rewarded for my fast 10k last week with a increase in pace this week. Remind me never to do that again :D

Tues 16th - 7m easy, 8:16avg
    Got delivery of a new pair of Nike Invincibles just in time for this run. They are clunky, ugly looking shoe but god how comfortable they are. Sole is fully comprised of ZoomX foam so very cushioned. Didn't know if the pace increase was due to the shoe or new shoes feeling. Weather was lovely, t-shirt and shorts for the first time in ages

Wed 17th - 10'@6min, 3x6'@5:55min, 5x3'@5:50, 3min recovery on all, 20' WU/CD
    Never did this session before but had all the hallmarks of a tough one. Converting to distance, it looked like 2k, 3x1mile and 5x800m :eek:

After the initial warmup, I took off on the first 10 min piece. The 6 min pace felt okayish for a while but started to feel it towards the end. Hit the pace (5:58) but didn't think that was a good sign. 3 minutes recovery was slightly extended as I took off my base layer at the car, was roasted. Was doing ok for the first 6' rep till the end where it was a choice of turning round or going up a steep footbridge. Turning round was an easy choice - 5:56. Can't remember much about the next 2 reps except they were on pace but I was fairly wrecked at the end of the 3rd one - 5:55, 5:55.

Thankfully I was onto the 3 minute reps so recovering should be easier. Thankfully 1st rep started top of a hill so had no issue with it (5:45). Next 2 were a bit more stressful (5:51, 5:46). Didn't have anything left in the legs for the last two but surprisingly were on pace (5:53, 5:49). Shuffled the 3 miles back to the car. Legs were aching

Thurs 18th, 7m easy, 8:36avg
    Tuesday's faster run was down to new shoes cos this one was a standard easy run. Had to reroute again due to floods so that mixed it up a bit

Fri 19th, 12x12" hill sprints
    Weather was horrendous for this. Had my pegasus turbo 2 shoes ready prior to leaving the house. Drove to the starting point to find that I never changed into them. Luckily my "house" runners are my old pegasus 36 so decided to go with them. Brought back to me how uncomfortable they are. Paths were flooded so spent the warm up and cool down jumping through really deep puddles. My shoes were squelching for most of the run. Felt I was going really slow for the hill sprints but weren't too bad checking in Strava

Sat 20th, 7m easy, 8:36avg
    Invincibles on for this run, going from pegasus 36 to these showed me how comfortable these are.

Sun 21st, 8m@6:15, 6x45sec (1:15rec), 3m wu/cd
    As I said, my reward for running a 10k PB the previous Sunday was an increase in pace from 6:25 to 6:15 for this, plus an extra 2 miles. Had the fear all week about it, unsure whether I could keep this pace going for that long. Did the warmup and cooldown in the Invincibles before changing to the tempos.

Was tough to pick a good route to get the most of the wind. Started a bit too fast, watch show 6 min pace but slowly settled into the pace. First mile came in at 6:16. Second mile and I was passed by the Stazza train going at 5:35, which probably drag me along a bit for the 2nd mile (6:13). Third mile was into the wind, which made it a bit slower (6:22). I knew once I got over the footbridge and half a mile into the wind, I would have the wind at my back for the next mile and a half. Fourth mile was 6:17.

I now had the wind but my legs were starting to tire. I was going at a nice clip but wasn't gaining back time (6:15). Avg pace was showing 6:18 with a hilly 6th mile to come. The uphill section of Blackrock castle really took it's toll. Doing the hill sprints here really helps me though. Mile comes in at 6:23. With two miles to go, I needed to make up some time.

I started to increase the speed. Luckily the Stazza train was on my a$$ again, which gave me a good motivation. Try to keep in front of them for as long as I could. Think I reached the end of the 7th mile before they zoomed past (6:09). Watched still showed 6:17avg though. Gave another bit of effort for the last mile, avg went to 6:16 early but going into the last 100m, it still was showing that time. I had to sprint the last bit while glancing at the watch, which finally changed to 6:15 with seconds remaining.

I know it shouldn't matter but I can be a bit OCD with these things. Keeps things interesting when you're running solo. Was happy with that one, but not sure how I'll manage 10 of them next weekend. Started wearing my old Zoom fly 3 runners round the house, find that they give my feet great stability and comfort for the day

Weekly mileage - 59.5m, 411 for the year

Tues 23rd - 7m easy, 8:38avg
    Orange warning for rain in Cork today so was fearing the worst for this run. Luckily I managed to pick a good time it. No rain for the first 6 and a half miles. Then the heavens opened and I was drenched for the last half mile. Still got away with it though

Wed 24th - 20x2' on/off, 15' wu/cd
    Was warned that this was a nasty session and read previous reports from other runners who did this one. I didn't have a notion of what pace to go at but said I would go by feel. Decided to wear the VF4% to give the legs a break for it. Was averaging around the 5:40-5:45 pace for the 2 minutes on the first 10 reps. Felt the VFs did not give me any advantage over the Tempos, in fact I thought they were slowing me down!

Got to halfway and the legs were feeling it big time. Pace was slipping towards the 5:45-5:50 mark. Was happy I was still going somewhat fast. With three remaining, ran down the railway line towards Hartys quay but it was closed for some upgrades. Had to turn on the rep so that slowed it. Then a detour meant I had to do the next one on a busy road into the wind. Last one had major GPS issues but still went fast enough. The end put a bit of a damper to the session but overall was a good one. Legs were super tired afterwards.

Thurs 25th - 7m easy, 8:40avg
    Fri 26th - 7m easy, 8:30avg
    Sat 27th - 7m easy, 8:31avg
    All fairly similar runs in the Invincibles. They are providing a major relief to the feet and legs on these runs

Sun 28th - 10@6:15, 3m wu/cd
    I had a quiet calmness about me during the week over this one. Decided to wear the NEXT% for it so thought they would easily give me the boost to do this quite comfortably. Had notions that I'd be cruising at about 6:05-6:10 in them and beat my previous 10m TT. It didn't go like this but still went quite well.

Was a lovely cold foggy morning. Hat and gloves for the warmup but knew the sun would burn through quickly. Changed into short sleeves for the fast miles. Thought I picked a route with favourable wind but didn't feel that way going round. Started off too fast as always but knew I'd slow into a manageable pace. I was surprised that it was slipping past 6:15 and first mile was 6:19. Second mile was a bit slower in 6:21. By now I knew I needed to up it and not leave it slip any slower. Third mile was a good 6:10. Next one had a steep footbridge which made it come in slower at 6:17.

Next two miles were a bit better, no disruptions or wind, 6:09 + 6:11. The 6:11 included a decent hill up to Blackrock castle and back down. The legs went a bit to jelly after it. Was probably recovering a bit for the next one - 6:16. Watch was showing 6:15 average so I reckoned I would eat away at that time for the remaining 3 miles. Maybe in a TT I would've pushed on more but I just wanted to finished it out. Last 3 miles were 6:14, 6:09 & 6:10.

So it didn't work out the way I thought it would in my daydreams all week, but to think that I've just run a 62:14 10 miler in training is pretty darn good I must admit.

Another good week. I think it'll be all systems go for Manchester marathon in October as I don't think DCM will go ahead. Hope I'm wrong though. Give me something to train for. Will keep tipping away at reducing the 10k-10m pace and hopefully do a 18 week marathon block start of summer

Weekly mileage - 58miles, 470 for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super 10m effort there!

For the 20x2 did John not give any pace guidance?
    What's 5.45 for you 5k/10k???

Super 10m effort there!

For the 20x2 did John not give any pace guidance?
    What's 5.45 for you 5k/10k???

Thanks A. For the 20x2', there was no specific pace provided by John. I didn't ask for it either as I wanted to go by feel for them. 5:45 for me at the moment is probably in between 5k and 10k, closer to 10k race pace.

• Advertisement

Tues 2nd - 7m easy, 8.56avg
    After a long period of dry weather (1 week), I tried out the UCC Farm to see if it was runnable. It was a tad mucky in places but overall was in good nick. Good to be back there. Another week of dry weather saw me return there on Thursday and Saturday
    Thurs 4th - 7m easy, 8.43avg
    Sat 6th - 7m easy, 8.48avg

Wed 3rd - 2x20' at 10 mile pace, 5min recovery in between
    My biggest decision here was what is my current 10 mile pace. With a 10 mile TT upcoming at the end of the month, I hope to go under 60 mins. Decided to go for 6 min pace for the session, to get myself prepared for the TT.

Had the Nike Tempos on this week. While they may not be as comfortable as the VF 4%s, I felt they helped with the faster paces. Quick warmup and started the first 20' rep. Pace was wandering around the 5.50 mark, which was worrying but kept it going. First mile came in at 5:52, second at 5:56 with a slight tailwind. Turned for the last mile and a bit. Third mile was 5:58, with the last bit at 6:04 (started to struggle for that bit). My breathing was really working during the last mile and a bit, which showed how hard I was working. 5 minute recovery was gone before I knew it.

My legs were tired but wanted to get the second rep close to the first rep in terms of pace. The first mile in and there was no sign of that 5.50 pace from the first rep. Watch quickly went to 6min pace so I knew I'd be struggling to keep it near that mark. First mile was 5.59, which included a turn. Rest would be with the wind so I was hopeful of maintaining the pace. Second mile and I was breathing heavily and legs were heavy too. Second mile was 6:01. Third mile and a bit were a strugglefest. I was doing everything I could to muster enough in the body to keep it going. Third mile was 6:01 and last bit was 5:50. Was huffing and puffing, making strange grunting noises for that last bit. Got the 6min average though so was happy out.

Was pretty shook for the rest of the day after that. After checking Strava, I ran my second fastest 5k for the first rep - 18:25, which was 20 seconds faster than my last proper 5k race. Second 5k was also sub 19, so no wonder I was wrecked.

Fri 5th, 12x12" hill sprints
    For some reason my legs felt quite good for this. I used the same hill as always but found I was flying up this time round. Most reps were in the 4.xx pace

Sun 7th, 12m@6.40, 6.39avg
    I probably underestimated this session, or didn't factor in how tired my legs would have been from Wednesday session. It definitely wasn't an easy run this morning. Conditions were perfect as well, with hardly any wind. Knew it would be a struggle in the first two miles, the legs felt tired for them. I was still able to maintain the 6.40 pace but it wasn't a comfortable feeling. Had the watch on average pace as usual so was able to keep an eye on that and not worry about the pace for each mile. Last two miles were tough, legs weren't moving as freely and form was probably being lost. Average pace came in at 6.39, miles were
    6.37, 6.41, 6.45, 6.46, 6.33, 6.37, 6.35, 6.44, 6.32, 6.38, 6.45 & 6.35.

Glad to get it done in the end. Good week again, training will ease from next weekend in lieu of the upcoming TTs

Weekly mileage was 55 miles. 525 for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey Trev

given the choice - Nike Tempos or Zoom Flys??

Really liking your sessions, some fantastic progression by you over a short period of time.

I would be favouring the Nike Tempos slightly over the Zoom Flys, in terms of speed. The Tempos would equal the pace of VF4% in my head, whereas the Zoom Flys were always slower to the 4%s. I do find the Tempos to be uncomfortable at longer distances though. I'm now in the habit of switching shoes for the warmup and cool down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Stepback week this week so had 5 easy runs to entertain me, plus the same long run as last week

Tues 2nd - 7m easy, 8:27avg
    Wed 3rd - 8m easy, 8:13avg Legs were probably in session mode so pace was up a bit there
    Thurs 4th - 7m easy, 8:27avg
    Fri 5th - 12x12" hill sprints, 25' wu/cd Used the same hill as last week but was flying up the hill for the sprints, most of them sub 5min mile pace
    Sat 6th - 7m easy, 8:29avg Went to a boggy and muddy UCC farm for this one. Pace was quite fast considering how sticky the mud was.

Sun 7th - 12miles@6:40

As I said, exact same session as last week but different for two reasons. I had no monkey on my back to get a HM PB and changed the route so I wouldn't have to chase the pace for the second half of the run.

First 2 miles were with the wind and were quite comfortable. Went around the centre park road loop, so first bit into the wind which felt quite strong. Passed by the Stazza train group, who were flaking along at 5:30 pace :eek: Went up the marina and into a strong wind for the next couple of miles. Was happy to see the pace stay around the 6:40 mark as I took shelter on the railway line and up over the footbridge.

Next couple of miles had a side wind but was feeling ok and waiting to turn the corner and get a nice tailwind for the last time 3.5 miles. Got myself up and down the Blackrock castle hill with the average pace still at 6:40 so knew it was job done. Was able to coast home for the last three miles. Whilst my legs were feeling it for the last mile, I had plenty left in me and had finally ran a controlled session!

52 miles for the week, up to 297 for the year

What gradient those hill sprints may i ask?

demfad wrote: »
    What gradient those hill sprints may i ask?
    It's hard to judge the gradient. Most elevation maps show it as 2-3% but it's definitely steeper than that. I would guess 6-7%.

Here's the hill in question: https://goo.gl/maps/YnYvgdD4N3SKgFsFA

It's hard to judge the gradient. Most elevation maps show it as 2-3% but it's definitely steeper than that. I would guess 6-7%.

Here's the hill in question: https://goo.gl/maps/YnYvgdD4N3SKgFsFA

Looks like the 6-7% allright. I've heard 10-12% being recommended for the hills sprints. I don't agree with that and do mine on a similar hill to yours.
    You have to be able to sprint up it with good form and for most of us that's shallower than the 10%.
    Lovely scenic spot for those sprints by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I would be favouring the Nike Tempos slightly over the Zoom Flys, in terms of speed. The Tempos would equal the pace of VF4% in my head, whereas the Zoom Flys were always slower to the 4%s. I do find the Tempos to be uncomfortable at longer distances though. I'm now in the habit of switching shoes for the warmup and cool down!

There's a serious racket off the Tempos. I'm not talking 'that' Next%/Vaporfly 'pfffff' sound either, but a real slap when they meet the road. I was pacing a mate for a HM a couple of weeks back and he was wearing them. Obviously I was all about the good vibes during the run, but they were wrecking my head!

healy1835 wrote: »
    There's a serious racket off the Tempos. I'm not talking 'that' Next%/Vaporfly 'pfffff' sound either, but a real slap when they meet the road. I was pacing a mate for a HM a couple of weeks back and he was wearing them. Obviously I was all about the good vibes during the run, but they were wrecking my head!

Yes they do create quite a slapping noise alright that is different to the NEXT% and VFs. It's similar to the AlphaFly noise, guessing you haven't paced anyone in those yet? I wore the Alphas for a 10mile TT and was told by other runners they could hear me coming before they saw me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

No haven't come across the AlphaFlys yet, but that makes sense that they'd be just as noisy! Having said that I'll gladly listen to a 100 pairs slapping the tarmac if it means I'm in a race :)

• Advertisement

Yes they do create quite a slapping noise alright that is different to the NEXT% and VFs. It's similar to the AlphaFly noise, guessing you haven't paced anyone in those yet? I wore the Alphas for a 10mile TT and was told by other runners they could hear me coming before they saw me.

Whats diff between Next%(tempo) and VFs may I ask? Next% is training shoe?

Advertisement