Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey Recommendation Required

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Going back to less affluent times when there were few very whiskeys on the shelf in any pub there was a choice of paddy & powers which were bog standard cheapest drop going. A jameson was more expensive, and a crested 10 or a black bush were special occasion drops.

Times have changed, and changed a huge amount.

But paddy and powers are still be considered by many to be what they once were entry level run of the mill whiskeys, even though there has been considerable effort made to reinvent them at a higher level and get away from the historic reputation of the brand.

If you gave a 50+ year old a bottle of powers and told him it cost €70 they might think you are mad because their association with that name is from before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The way you wrote your original post it seemed like you didnt know the difference between Gold Label and John's Lane, with your reference to inflated pricing and the 25 euro price now being 70. Were you confusing the two?

Powers Gold Label has always delivered good value for money. Compared to some other Irish blends considering what's in it, its always been a steal and far from being considered low quality it has been a popular choice for people who know their whiskey for years.

In recent times Powers age statement whiskies and John's Lane have been well reviewed and they're about as good as it gets at that price range.

Could someone not know their arse from their elbow and not know the value of what they're getting? Well, sure, I guess... But most people who know a little about Irish whiskey will definitely know what John's Lane is I think. If they don't know a thing about whiskey then you'd hope they'd google it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

@Black Sheep

Could someone not know their arse from their elbow and not know the value of what they're getting? Well, sure, I guess...

If they don't know a thing about whiskey then you'd hope they'd google it.

Or do like me and ask here. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Powers Gold Label is my go-to "everyday" whiskey, I love it. As a step up from it, I also really enjoy Three Swallows. However, I didn't enjoy Johns Lane on the couple of occasions I've had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are confusing two different products. Gold label and Powers Johns Lane.

Johns Lane has always been premium. You’ve never seen that for €25.

Yes that makes a huge different. That’s a premium version of powers. Poster above is confusing it with the bottom shelf stuff.

• Advertisement

Paddy and Power are entry level bottom shelf whiskys. Regular Jameson and Bushmills are also bottom shelf.

Crested and Blackbush might be a notch above. The equivalent Power would be 3 swallows.

Powers Johns Lane is a set above again. Along with Jameson special reserve or Bushmills single malts. Those would probably be top shelf in pub with a basic selection.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Paddy and Power, not to be confused with Paddy Powers or to be consumed before or during a visit to it.

Thanks for that, that's good to know, too - I just hope the recipient doesn't have your same tastebuds. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I do think that the Power's rebrand left all the Power's range looking a bit too similar. Also, why does Gold Label have a red label with no gold on it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yeah I'm not a fan of the rebrand. I don't mind the bottle shape but they needed more contrast in terms of label and markings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

They do have some gold on the gold label but its not very obvious to be sure. I knwow i've said it before but when you look at the old branding against the new it does look pretty dated. Even the bottle shape alone wouldn't stand out anymore with all the new ranges and bottle types coming in. It was too similar to Paddy's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I quite like the branding, I just think that the top shelf ones look too similar to the entry level ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Aye thats fair enough. In fact the John's Lane one is probaly the plainest of all (the three swalls has nice swallow reliefs all over the label) and the 'aged 12 years' is pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

rather than start a new thread.....

would like a recommendation for a treat for myself from work bonus.

i had planned on getting Redbreast 12yo, but got one as a Christmas present.

was thinking of blue spot, but then saw a redbreast cask strength, and the Jameson pot still looks interesting too.

or should i be thinking something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kuang1

Blue spot was probably my favourite whiskey of 2022. (it has dislodged green spot from my no. 1 spot of regular "treat" whiskeys)

And I'm a blatant, cliche redbreast fan 😊

Goldspot wasn't as good.

Albeit in a lower price bracket, the jameson black barrel range is fantastic.

Dingle's single malt batch 5 was another winner for me.

Advertisement