Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswoman states America should be "more fearful of white men"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

John letting the mask slip again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭circadian

Did whites NOT build America?

White people played a part, along with many other ethnic groups, in building America.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did whites NOT build America?

No. They didn't
    America was built and continues to be built by all people who live within it.

Whites might have had leadership positions when a lot of the construction and development was done but they utilised labour which was 'available'.
    Available is an all encompassing term which includes the exploitation of people in various ways including slavery.

Also, what does it actually mean to say 'built America'? Was there an empty plot in 1492 when Columbus arrived with a ship full of materials and built an entire country?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Agreed. Certain posters would just type the same drivel over and over again looking for thanks and outrage.

lol. Looks who's talking. Don't the following quotes count as looking for thanks and outrage by posting drivel?
    The other issue is the neo-Nazis marching in America who were described by Trump as "Very fine people". No complaints here about that.
    You were given one. You even quoted it. Calling the neonazis at Charlottesville "very fine people".
    Maybe so but then the president referred to neo-Nazis as "very fine people" so I'm finding it odd that you don't criticize him with the same zeal that you do these women.

They sure do to me, given it's been pointed out to you multiple times now that Trump never said what you keep attributing to him.

So, one more time: at the press conference, seconds after saying there were fine people on both sides, Trump also said:
    "I'm NOT talking about the neo-nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned totally"

I see a lot of negative comments about this forum from certain individuals of late, not just yourself, and it was the same with political threads in After Hours, and the reason for it is the same: there are a lot of you that just do not like the fact that you can't control users in ways which you can in certain other parts of Boards when it comes to them getting to express their political views. That's the crux of it and all this bleating of late is just an attempt at trying to get CA moderated in a way to that would go some way to muzzling those whose views you (collective you) don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yes. And Jennifer Zielinski won against other republicans.

It was a closed partisan democratic primary.

What you are saying makes no sense.

As soon as she won the primary all the papers knew she would win because Minnesota never elects republicans.

Its a safe Democratic district.

Democrats in the constituency voted for her with other options available. She demonstrated her electoral mandate twice. You can’t twist electoral popularity into electoral unpopularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What is Ilhan Omar polling at?

I am hearing different things. Im not sure what to believe.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/poll-ilhan-omar-and-aoc-are-less-popular-than-ice

I am not sure i believe the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Everyone built America.
    Mostly white immigrants, from europe, built america
    Italians, Irish, eastern europeans.

alastair wrote: »
    Democrats in the constituency voted for her with other options available. She demonstrated her electoral mandate twice. You can’t twist electoral popularity into electoral unpopularity.
    Why is she so low in the polls then?

What is Ilhan Omar polling at?

I am hearing different things. Im not sure what to believe.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/poll-ilhan-omar-and-aoc-are-less-popular-than-ice

I am not sure i believe the above.

Really? You don't know whether or not to believe a right wing news outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yes. And Jennifer Zielinski won against other republicans.

It was a closed partisan democratic primary.

What you are saying makes no sense.

As soon as she won the primary all the papers knew she would win because Minnesota never elects republicans.

Its a safe Democratic district.

Yes it was a primary against other Democrats. Why was she elected and not the other Democrats running if she so out of touch. When you dig a hole it's good to start digging upwards to get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Why is she so low in the polls then?
    Can you please provide a poll of the people she represents since this is what is being discussed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see a lot of negative comments about this forum from certain individuals of late, not just yourself, and it was the same with political threads in After Hours, and the reason for it is the same: there are a lot of you that just do not like the fact that you can't control users in ways which you can in certain other parts of Boards when it comes to them getting to express their political views. That's the crux of it and all this bleating of late is just an attempt at trying to get CA moderated in a way to that would go some way to muzzling those whose views you (collective you) don't agree with.

I'm no interest in indulging your weird victimhood mentality. It's an open forum. I voiced an opinion and I'm not going to apologise if it upset you. I've seen you post from the same "Fake News/MSM/MAGA" nonsense script numerous times and then react with histrionics as above when challenged.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

lol. Looks who's talking. Don't the following quotes count as looking for thanks and outrage by posting drivel?

They sure do to me, given it's been pointed out to you multiple times now that Trump never said what you keep attributing to him.

So, one more time: at the press conference, seconds after saying there were fine people on both sides, Trump also said:

Just to point out, there were no fine people on the neo nazi side... Fine people do not march with Neo Nazis that are chanting stuff that wouldn't have been out of place in 1930s Germany. So y'know stop defending the indefensible...

Really? You don't know whether or not to believe a right wing news outlet?

What is her rating then? I would like to know.

Can you please provide a poll of the people she represents since this is what is being discussed.

All i can find is this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/democratic-group-leaked-poll-unfavorable-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

Anywhere I look says her ratings are low. Maybe not as low as some sites say i can't find a favorable poll though.

Well if the choice is Trump or Ilhan i would choose Ilhan too. Doesn't mean I like her views though.

It also doesn't say how she is polling?

All i can find is this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/democratic-group-leaked-poll-unfavorable-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-2019-7?r=US&IR=T

Anywhere I look says her ratings are low. Maybe not as low as some sites say i can't find a favorable poll though.
    That, I hope you are aware, is not a poll of her constituents.

So, one more time: at the press conference, seconds after saying there were fine people on both sides, Trump also said...

Trump says a lot of ****e (just look at his latest car crash chopper talk session for a doozy). The ‘fine people’ protesting in Charlottesville were entirely white supremacists and neo-nazi groups. The make-up of the protesters is outlined very clearly in the protest permit application.

Well if the choice is Trump or Ilhan i would choose Ilhan too. Doesn't mean I like her views though.
    What... what does that have to do with anything? :confused:
    It also doesn't say how she is polling?
    It says she's extremely popular and her popularity is growing in her constituency.

Maybe try reading the article? I did and know you didn't read it in a minute.

• Advertisement

That, I hope you are aware, is not a poll of her constituents.

I actually WANT a poll of her constituents i can't find one though can anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

l

This is commonplace on the internet these days, and boards is no different.

You can't have an opinion that doesn't line up with the "progressive" left agenda.

This is another reason why Trump won in 2016, the democrats have not understood it yet, people don't like to be told what to think in a "progressive" society.

Generally I stop talking to someone online when they start screeching that I am a racist, accusing me of histrionics, or insinuate that I am somehow stupid for not blindly agreeing with their viewpoint. I have a few leftist/progressive friends that are up for a reasoned debate - which can be interesting - but the internet tends to move straight away from one post to screeching.

Maybe try reading the article? I did and know you didn't read it in a minute.

I didn't read it all because there is no way Minnesota will vote anything but democrat even if they don't like that democrat. Its a Dem state.

How she affects her parties changes in Swing states in another thing altogether.

That was the point of the poll i did show. Swing states don't like her. She and Ocasio are having a negative effect for dems there.

And they matter.

I didn't read it all because there is no way Minnesota will vote anything but democrat even if they don't like that democrat. Its a Dem state.

How she affects her parties changes in Swing states in another thing altogether.

That was the point of the poll i did show. Swing states don't like her. She and Ocasio are having a negative effect for dems there.

And they matter.
    Minnesota will vote for any democrat because they're overwhelmingly democrats - therefore by extension she represents her constituents.

It doesn't matter how she might perform in a different constituency.

This isn't difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Omar is just an anti white racist. Amazong how many people are willing to defend racist remarks against white people.

Us politics is sadly just a popularity contest.

Both sides seem perfectly mad to me right now. But I think democrats in power would moderate themselves quickly. I don't have the same faith in the GOP.

And they matter.

They don’t matter at all in the 5th District - where she’ll be seeking re-election.

And that poll was purely of non-college educated males. Which is not a swing vote constituency.

Minnesota will vote for any democrat because they're overwhelmingly democrats - therefore by extension she represents her constituents.

Ok i will give you that.
    It doesn't matter how she might perform in a different constituency.

This isn't difficult

It does matter. It affects the democratic parties chances as a whole. It just does.

I actually WANT a poll of her constituents i can't find one though can anyone?

Minnesota Election Results 2018
    DFL Ilhan Omar Votes: 267,703 Percentage of Vote 77.97
    Republican Jennifer Zielinski Votes: 74,440 Percentage of Vote 21.68

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    They don’t matter at all in the 5th District - where she’ll be seeking re-election.
    Are dems seeking election to the white house or not?

Do you think people see Ocasio and Omar as the face of the democratic party?

Advertisement