Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US congresswoman states America should be "more fearful of white men"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Minnesota Election Results 2018
    DFL Ilhan Omar Votes: 267,703 Percentage of Vote 77.97
    Republican Jennifer Zielinski Votes: 74,440 Percentage of Vote 21.68
    That is a no then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Omar is just an anti white racist. Amazong how many people are willing to defend racist remarks against white people.
    +1
    I've actually heard a remark attributed to the squad that you cannot be racist against white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Are dems seeking election to the white house or not?

Do you think people see Ocasio and Omar as the face of the democratic party?

Is either running for president? If not, then, no.

Saying America should be more fearful of white men or Asian men or Black men is clearly racist.

alastair wrote: »
    Is either running for president? If not, then, no.
    That is not how the USA is going to see it whether they like that face or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1
    I've actually heard a remark attributed to the squad that you cannot be racist against white people.

When people talk about the rise in racism, this is the only kind of racism thats really on the rise. A massive wave of anti white sentiment thats constantly given a platform and only criticized by a minority

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That is a no then?

Seems to me a pretty definitive view on how her constituents feel about her which is what you asked for.

+1

I’m sure you can provide a link to this utterance? 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The candidate is the person who gets viewed as the face of the party.. Junior congresswomen that the president has an obsession with and goes on diatribes about, not so much. In fact, that more negatively impacts on the long run I suspect.

When people talk about the rise in racism, this is the only kind of racism thats really on the rise. A massive wave of anti white sentiment thats constantly given a platform and only criticized by a minority

The real issue is imagined oppression. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I see a lot of negative comments about this forum from certain individuals of late, not just yourself, and it was the same with political threads in After Hours, and the reason for it is the same: there are a lot of you that just do not like the fact that you can't control users in ways which you can in certain other parts of Boards when it comes to them getting to express their political views. That's the crux of it and all this bleating of late is just an attempt at trying to get CA moderated in a way to that would go some way to muzzling those whose views you (collective you) don't agree with.
    SPOT ON!

The Squad are starting to take on another title “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.” It might be a disingenuous title but in political circles these kind of titles are very effective at times for those not very interested in politics but whom still vote.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Seems to me a pretty definitive view on how her constituents feel about her which is what you asked for.

You think 70% of Minnesota fears white men?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Really? You don't know whether or not to believe a right wing news outlet?

The journalism from that paper is actually quite good but like the Wall St Journal, the opinion/editorial section can be a bit nuts. Unfortunately, we live in an age where people have difficulty telling those two things apart.

In terms of polling, the only polling that matters is that of her electorate. Any other poll is about as useful as one from Alabama.

It is. The presidential election is entirely about the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I didn't read it all because there is no way Minnesota will vote anything but democrat even if they don't like that democrat. Its a Dem state.

How she affects her parties changes in Swing states in another thing altogether.

That was the point of the poll i did show. Swing states don't like her. She and Ocasio are having a negative effect for dems there.

And they matter.

You do know there are other democratic politicans. If she is not popular why not vote for some other Democrats in the primaries

You’d have to be remarkably dense to suggest that anyone posited that claim. Omar certainly didn’t.

The real issue is imagined oppression. 😂

it really is, fake opression used by some minorities in the US to justify quotas and hiring practices that have a very real negative impact on white people.

it really is, fake opression used by some minorities in the US to justify quotas and hiring practices that have a very real negative impact on white people.

Let me get out that tiny violin for the real victims. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Phoebas wrote: »
    That quote is from a year ago so you'd have to wonder what prompted it to resurface now.

The context of it was the threat to Americans from terrorism, so she was probably factually correct.

It is handy to show she is a poisonous nutjob, they are sharing it to say this lunatic is the modern Democratic Party. Run from them.

She is not the modern Democratic Party, she actually has fallen out with moat of her colleagues but ...

No. Neither does Ilhan as a rule.

You should really watch the unedited clip of the video before diving in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't think Ilhan Omar fears white men either.

Let me get out that tiny violin for the real victims. 😂😂😂😂😂

I hope you will respond in such a comical factor the next time somebody claims racism is occuring against black / brown people.

Either all racism is bad or none of it is, if you think being racist against white people is less serious or doesn't happen at all then youre just as bad as anyone you consider racist.

You’d have to be remarkably dense to suggest that anyone posited that claim. Omar certainly didn’t.

She said they needed to fear white men and she said she feared white men.

And i truly believe she does. I also truly believe that given her background that would a perfectly natural thing to believe. I would totally understand her feelings. Considering the amount of THREATS she must get it would totally natural for her to fear white men.

And if we are to believe her statement that she feels America needs to be more fearful of white men and to believe that most Americans lionize white men even in Minnesota that would indicate and huge gulf between her views and most people.

That was my point. There is a huge gulf between her views and those who voted for her.

70% of Minnesota do not think America needs to be more fearful of white men. Ilhan Omar does.

Now who is right I don't know America or Ilhan Omar but they don't hold the same perspective or views.

Are dems seeking election to the white house or not?

Do you think people see Ocasio and Omar as the face of the democratic party?

First one is probably yes but often looks the opposite.

Second is they are now prominent faces in the party and going to be part of the brand soon enough even if they are only a small clique.

+1

This sounds so much like a Donald Trump statement it's funny.

"It's true. That's what they're saying. At least some people are I'm told"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Unfortunately, much of modern discourse simply consists of outrage peddling with this thread being a prime example.
    I agree with her 100%.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    What I find more interesting is how quickly people can be played by doctored clips they are fed over social media.
    micosoft wrote: »
    Actually it's frightening to see people like the OP gobble up garbage and the regurgitate in threads. It's quite plain the clip was doctored with an important line removed to change the point which she was making. The issue is we have people like the OP either "gobbling" up these crude lies or deliberately spreading them and setting the narrative.

Couple of other odd accounts jumping in to support the false "radical" narrative being created in the US/Russia. The thing that strikes me is that this is not even well done - it's really crude. What happens with fakery is done well?
    It's confirmation bias. They started with a particular view. They will grip to anything which the feel gives merit to their position irrespective of the veracity of it.

'Alternative facts' as one of their ilk might say.
    meeeeh wrote: »
    Yeah it's interesting how little people pay attention to the sources, make sure they are reliable. Even if we do all this we can be caught like the story of "euthanasia" of that Dutch teenager which was reported in proper media. But to regurgitate some tweet without checking the background is seriously naive.
    osarusan wrote: »
    An interview from more than a year ago being regurgitated and edited to remove a particular context is a perfect example of bullsh!t agenda-laden 'journalism'.

Right there at the start is all you need to know about her. The interviewer asks her about Islamophobia being born out of fear rather than hate. Instead of answering she deflects with white men are the real danger saying it with a smirk by the way. Which she always does when she’s being racist, and anti Semitic.

Then in the full interview. The interviewer again asks her about the 20 Somali refugees that are living in her district going over to fight for ISIS. She totally ignores that. And continues with her defection. It’s the whites who are bad.

Whites who opened their country to her. Gave her an education. Then voted her to high office.

All the opportunities given to her. If she thinks America is such a racist backwards hole. Why does t she go back to Somalia. The absolute epitome of enlightenment and culture. This glorious country filled with every race, creed, and gender. All walking hand in hand. Having the best life they could ever have except in America… of course.

She continues to have to be sanctioned by her own party for racist and anti Semitic tropes. And then giving a nothing apology. Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t realise they were anti Semitic and racist tropes… she says with a smirk.

I hope you will respond in such a comical factor the next time somebody claims racism is occuring against black / brown people.

Either all racism is bad or none of it is, if you think being racist against white people is less serious or doesn't happen at all then youre just as bad as anyone you consider racist.

I’m opposed to blowhard guff being presented as fact. That’s my go-to.

Trump says a lot of ****e (just look at his latest car crash chopper talk session for a doozy). The ‘fine people’ protesting in Charlottesville were entirely white supremacists and neo-nazi groups. The make-up of the protesters is outlined very clearly in the protest permit application.

If you argue that he said the Nazis were to be people you'd have to also agree he was talking about their totalitarian buddies in ANTIFA.

She said they needed to fear white men and she said she feared white men.

And i truly believe she does. I also truly believe that given her background that would a perfectly natural thing to believe. I would totally understand her feelings. Considering the amount of THREATS she must get it would totally natural for her to fear white men.

And if we are to believe her statement that she feels America needs to be more fearful of white men and to believe that most Americans lionize white men even in Minnesota that would indicate and huge gulf between her views and most people.

That was my point. There is a huge gulf between her views and those who voted for her.

70% of Minnesota do not think America needs to be more fearful of white men. Ilhan Omar does.

Now who is right I don't know America or Ilhan Omar but they don't hold the same perspective or views.

Dense it is then. Morto for you.

• Advertisement

I don't think Ilhan Omar fears white men either.
    She does.

How many death threats a week do you think she gets from White nationalists?

She wouldn't be human if she didn't.

Advertisement