Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Policy dated wrong

• 25-07-2019 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

My late mother and father took out a joint life policy in the 90's. My father died in 2006 and his policy was paid out to my mother. My mother has since passed away and her life policy is now to be settled. Our solicitor contacted the life cover company and they looked for the death certificate We sent it on. They have now come back to us saying that my mothers date of birth was wrong it was over stated by 6 years. I got a copy of the policy it is not my mothers hand writing but she did sign it and the bottom of the page. I just presume someone else filled it in.

The life cover company have wrote a letter back to me saying that my mothers age was wrong and they are offering us half the money. They said that when they read the birth cert it was 10 years under the age on the form when it is 6. just saying they have made a mistake even when they had the death cert in front of them. They stamped this letter also.

When they paid out my fathers policy they surly had to get all my mothers details and would have seen this.

Just wounder should we just take the money and run ??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Joint life policy only pays out once. Dual life policies are different, but they are relatively recent.
    How old is this policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 7875

Policy was taken out in 1998. I presume it s a dual life policy so.
    Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Lets presume it is a dual policy since they are offering to make a payment. Was your mother's date of birth understated or overstated for example if she was 50 taking out the policy was her age shown as 44 or 56.

If it was 56 I don't see how this would affect the policy only to make the monthly premiums dearer.

You really need to clarify what type of policy was taken out and was age overstated or understated and take it from there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Trish56 wrote: »
    If it was 56 I don't see how this would affect the policy only to make the monthly premiums dearer.

And that is the key point in insurance, so of course it has a major impact on the policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

7875 wrote: »
    When they paid out my fathers policy they surly had to get all my mothers details and would have seen this.

Just wounder should we just take the money and run ??

That is not the way it works. Your mother is responsible for ensuring that she supplied the correct information. It is not for the insurance company to go checking up on the person taking out the policy...

What does your solicitor advise? They are the ones that have access to all the facts not us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement