Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Map

• 26-07-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi, Ive just recently started in a new role in a startup. My background is accounts but I studied IT in college to an advanced diploma level, 13 years ago. My 1st IT project within this company is trying to map the network. The problem is we run lots of different equipment from phones, laptops, APs, to Production line hardware and measuring devices. All are connected but unfortunately NOTHING is labelled. Is there any software I can run that will draw a map to give me an idea of which port on the switches relates to which sockets in the office and factory. Simple as possible, like I said I'm well out of practice. I really dont want to have to disconnect at the switch and see which device shuts off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Can you log into the switch and do a "show running-confog"

The ports may be labelled on the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have you tried Solarwinds Network Mapper to begin with?

It's "free" for 14 days. Not sure what the restrictions are these days though.

https://www.solarwinds.com/network-topology-mapper

PRTG offers a 30 day unlimited trial

https://www.paessler.com/network-mapping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭wandererz

You can use network discovery tools that will discover & provide names, ip addresses & mac addresses.
    Depending on the tool you use it may not show switch port. In that case, log into the switch (if you can) & list mac addresses by port.

However, if nothing is labeled its not going to help with wall or floor ports.

In that case, a network cable tester would help. But it means disconnecting each device for a period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I know of one company that maps port to desk/device and its because of high level security clearance and its done via 801.2x.

A network map to me is the networking devices on site, how they are interconnected, their locations, management addresses etc. L3's list their vlans and what subnets are assigned and what vlans are mapped to what ports.

So when or if there is a problem with a subnet or device, I can visually isolate it using the diagram. Like I was looking at my network mapped out in GNS3 or other lab tools.

So if switch 4 + 5 on site x report as down, the network map would show they are connected to switch y individually but located in the same closet. So its reasonable to assume that the closet is the problem within a few seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Hi I should have been clearer. Im looking on a very primative scale. All over the building we have LAN sockets, theyre all connected to switches in various places. The problem is, the sockets werent labelled at all. I am literally looking for an easier way of seeing for example what is connected into port 12. If i can see any form of description I will be able to locate and go from there. Failing that my only option, as far as i can see, is connect a laptop to the socket and remove from port 1 by 1 until the signal drops..... I really dont want to have to this :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What equipment vendors do you have on site?

You can map out networks in other ways.

For Cisco, with switches were "CDP" is enabled, you can do a "show cdp neighbours". This shows gives a list of what devices the switch sees. Other brands use combinations of CDP or LLDP.

Checking arp and mac tables as well.
    Arp gives you a idea of where IP addressing is going, so if switch A has a IP, you can follow the path using its MAC address.
    Also MAC tables give you a idea if there are switches on the other end of a port, a live port with a single MAC address is probably a single device, multiple MAC addresses are multiple devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you're trying to do is gonna rely on OUIs in MACs. These aren't great. Like "Intel" or "Realtek" doesnt tell you its the Dell Workstation or the HP.

Get two young fellas and a cable tester.

Advertisement