Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrific way to go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It's a sure sign of a knuckle dragging moronic ape when you see these dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

It's a sure sign of a knuckle dragging moronic ape when you see these dogs.

McDonagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"Didn't know they were dangerous" the wife says.
    "I bought them after there were break ins, in the area" says the husband.
    The owner here sounds like a right gowl.

Presumably he thought they'd be able to call Gardaí when intruders came or maybe cuddle them into submission.

Awful way to go, poor woman. The first responders were traumatised too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

presa-canario8-1024x576.jpg

Great house pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A girl around the corner from me has one and a boxer. She works at an animal shelter so I presume she brought him home.

She walks him twice a day and the other one separately. The boxer gets walked with no muzzle but the mastiff has one.

They don't have great lives. Anytime they are out they must wear a muzzle.

She is very careful with him and crosses the street when she sees a child if she is walking him etc.

The only person I have ever seen the dog actually bark and growl at is HER.

The boxer seems to be fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Great house pet.

Poor woman didn't stand a chance :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    McDonagh

Common enough name in Galway without the "ethnic" connotations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

So whats the best thing to do if a dog is attacking you and you cant get away. Go for the eyes, throat, legs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A girl around the corner from me has one and a boxer. She works at an animal shelter so I presume she brought him home.

She walks him twice a day and the other one separately. The boxer gets walked with no muzzle but the mastiff has one.

They don't have great lives. Anytime they are out they must wear a muzzle.

She is very careful with him and crosses the street when she sees a child if she is walking him etc.

The boxer seems to be fine though.

Boxers don’t need to wear a muzzle.

You don’t have to reply to every. Single. Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fairly upsetting reading that.

I'll never forget seeing my cat being killed by two prick dogs like these belonging to a neighbour that got out of their garden and ran into mine (country road)..

Was in my early 20s and it was frightening.

If I tried to stop it they'd have attacked me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Great house pet.

The fcuking thing has muscles :eek:

Great house pet.

Jesus, is it on steroids ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

thomasm wrote: »
    So whats the best thing to do if a dog is attacking you and you cant get away. Go for the eyes, throat, legs??

The eyes would definitely be a “weak point”.

I heard long ago that the thing to do if a Rottweiler is attacking you is to stick your finger up it’s arse.
    Apparently, this causes the dog’s jaw to “lock” open and you can get away.

I’m pretty it’s bullshít but I figure if I’m ever in that situation, of being attacked, I’ll give it a go. But I’d go for the eyes first.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I hear if you tickle their balls they start laughing so much they just roll over - then you make your escape.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Boxers don’t need to wear a muzzle.

You don’t have to reply to every. Single. Thread.

I ...KNOW ..that is why i said ..the boxer walks with no muzzle.

You don't have to reply to every post i post like you seem to be doing compulsively and rather ignorantly quite frankly.

Its bullying and its not on.

You don't like what I post use the IGNORE BUTTON! By the way i have just used it on you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

stick your finger up it’s arse.
    I hear if you tickle their balls they start laughing so much they just roll over - then you make your escape.

I'll keep those suggestions in mind :)

I thought this is really interesting though. It doesn't bark even when others come to the house. It does bark at her occasionally though.

She seems kind of nervous with it when she is out walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

I thought this is really interesting though. It doesn't bark even when others come to the house. It does bark at her occasionally though.

She seems kind of nervous with it when she is out walking.

Why are you having a conversation with yourself?

Who posts and quotes themselves lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

McDonagh

This board is getting really scummy. Don't even make your point just be snakey about it.

The woman is dead.

Why are you having a conversation with yourself?

Who posts and quotes themselves lol
    Because I don't want to have one with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Rip to the woman.
    Horrific way to end up.
    Having that type of dog roaming free was idiotic to say the least and the bit about them breeding 20 or 30 pups “incidentally” is absolute boll1x.a handy earner tax free more like.why was he microchipping the pups only then?
    If it happened once you would have them neutered after.
    Fcuk sake they were bursting van tyres and still kept and left roam.absoloute idiocy.
    Tragic for the woman who died.
    Totally irresponsible from the owner though and he was warned several times of their dangerous capabilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

As the owner of large Malamute i can relate to some of the replies in this thread.

Whenever i am walking her i will cross the road if i see a person on the same side and even more so if they have a dog. Unfortunately as a rescue dog she doesn't mix well with any dog and a lot of humans so you need to be so careful.

I had an incident were the front door was left open and she bolted as she could obviously smell another dog, happened to be a terrier type but she had it by the next, thankfully i got out on time to get the other dog released. But my dog didn't listen to verbal instructiion so i had to hit her a few clatters in the head (she has a head like concrete in case animal rights are here), thankfully the other dog was fine but the owner was really shaken up and understandably so.

My point is that you must always ensure you have your dogs kept away from any potential dangers to other animals or humans as this tragic case shows

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 fqollere

As the owner of large Malamute i can relate to some of the replies in this thread.

Whenever i am walking her i will cross the road if i see a person on the same side and even more so if they have a dog. Unfortunately as a rescue dog she doesn't mix well with any dog and a lot of humans so you need to be so careful.

I had an incident were the front door was left open and she bolted as she could obviously smell another dog, happened to be a terrier type but she had it by the next, thankfully i got out on time to get the other dog released. But my dog didn't listen to verbal instructiion so i had to hit her a few clatters in the head (she has a head like concrete in case animal rights are here), thankfully the other dog was fine but the owner was really shaken up and understandably so.

My point is that you must always ensure you have your dogs kept away from any potential dangers to other animals or humans as this tragic case shows

RIP

Lol

RIP

That's responsible ownership.
    fqollere wrote: »
    Lol

Why is that funny?

RIP

Or just not own such a vicious dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The travellers are big into the vicious breeds at the moment as they are making a fortune streaming dog fights on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

If anyone thought the animals were capable of killing somebody, they should have told me and the dogs would have been shot.

I feel really sorry for poor Martin here.....For 8 years he had 3 Presa Canario dogs, 2 of which weighed over 40kgs, roaming his house and surrounds totally uncontrolled. Once they attacked the Postman's van bursting his tyres which demonstrates aggression, bad temper, propensity towards violence and ferocious jaw strength with brute power.

......But nobody, absolutely nobody took a minute to tell Martin they were dangerous so that he could shoot them.....The sheer level of apathy and irresponsibility from the public at large here is shocking.

I really hope his thought process never changes here and that he somehow starts blaming himself?

Presumably now Martin is going to track down the owners of the 20-25 Presa Canario dogs he puppy farmed out over the past 8 years and shoot their dogs before they eviscerate someones child?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Terrible incident but I would lay the blame on the owner as opposed to the dogs or the breed. Any dog can be raised properly but this chap was obviously in it for the puppy money.

She is a rescue dog and i had a chance to save her from being put down.

She is in no way vicious with me or mrs or child but very protective.

Although with regards smaller dogs, cats and rabbits that's just the breeds natural prey drive they have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Malamutes are not vicious dogs. They're known to be pretty docile and amiable with people.

They have a fairly high prey instinct though, meaning they're naturally inclined to hunt smaller animals (and sometimes smaller dogs too) which is why there can be problems with them roaming if not contained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Throw a stick and then run in the opposite direction.

Number one breed for dog attacks is the golden lab retrievers followed by pitbulls.

But people don't see golden lab retrievers as vicious.

I was attacked by one when i was about ten. The owner just used to allow the dog out unsupervised.

Dachshunds and chihuahuas can be pretty aggressive too. They are not that strong though or fast and kind small so not so dangerous.
    Terrible incident but I would lay the blame on the owner as opposed to the dogs or the breed. Any dog can be raised properly but this chap was obviously in it for the puppy money.

That's not true. There are some breeds that are more aggressive that others. Its measurable. But its the combination of strength, size and aggression that makes them lethal.

We have a Dachshund personality wise he is much more aggressive than most dog breeds. But he is a mini and tiny with a tiny muzzle that is not very strong. Therefore he is easier to control. If you put his personality in a bigger dog though it would be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

RIP

Sounds like a lot of hard (and potentially dangerous) work owning a dog or dogs like this. Crossing the road if you see anyone approaching? That tells me all I need to know.

I'm very wary of dogs since I was charged at in the park last year. Knocked me down, not one of those brutish looking dogs either. But anyway I suppose I am a melting snowflake, but I value my safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yep, I really love dogs, they're family to me and I think some breeds get a bad rap because of the type of people who usually own them (e.g. staffies, which are generally loveable cuddly dogs in the right hands). However, if you have a dog that you know is vicious, and you know does not obey recall instructions, and they cannot be trained to be otherwise, then you're being completely reckless and irresponsible by keeping it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this isn't a breed thing, this is based on the dogs behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

razorblunt wrote: »
    "Didn't know they were dangerous" the wife says.
    "I bought them after there were break ins, in the area" says the husband.
    The owner here sounds like a right gowl.

Presumably he thought they'd be able to call Gardaí when intruders came or maybe cuddle them into submission.

Awful way to go, poor woman. The first responders were traumatised too.

I wonder who could have been doing the “break-ins”?

• Advertisement

The travellers are big into the vicious breeds at the moment as they are making a fortune streaming dog fights on the internet.

I'm calling BS on this

Sounds like a lot of hard (and potentially dangerous) work owning a dog or dogs like this. Crossing the road if you see anyone approaching? That tells me all I need to know.

I'm very wary of dogs since I was charged at in the park last year. Knocked me down, not one of those brutish looking dogs either. But anyway I suppose I am a melting snowflake, but I value my safety.

I only do this as i don't know if the person approaching is afraid of dogs and as they have wolf like features and are rather large and is known to "talk" when people are close by it may frighten some people

Useless fact for you

The voice of Chewbaca is actually from the sounds malamutes make

Yep, I really love dogs, they're family to me and I think some breeds get a bad rap because of the type of people who usually own them (e.g. staffies, which are generally loveable cuddly dogs in the right hands). However, if you have a dog that you know is vicious, and you know does not obey recall instructions, and they cannot be trained to be otherwise, then you're being completely reckless and irresponsible by keeping it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this isn't a breed thing, this is based on the dogs behaviour.

Yeah, fair enough. Don't mean to be blaming a breed, the dog just sounded vicious with attacking a small dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Number one breed for dog attacks is the golden lab retrievers followed by pitbulls.

I was attacked by one when i was about ten. The owner just used to allow the dog out unsupervised.

Dachshunds and chihuahuas can be pretty aggressive too. They are not that strong though or fast and kind small so not so dangerous.

there are dogs that will attack you, but which don't have the strength or the jaws to kill you.

Three dogs of a breed with that strength is a lethal combination.

She is a rescue dog and i had a chance to save her from being put down.

She is in no way vicious with me or mrs or child but very protective.

Although with regards smaller dogs, cats and rabbits that's just the breeds natural prey drive they have

Fair enough. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

RIP

Real question - why would you want such a large dog - from the post above it sounds like you might live in an estate so surrounded by other people / animals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

there are dogs that will attack you, but which don't have the strength or the jaws to kill you.

Three dogs of a breed with that strength is a lethal combination.

If you are a scumbag and "raise" the dogs as such. I can only imagine those dogs were never exercised and on the rare occasion they were, the guy was getting dragged up the road by them. That's when I cross the road, no matter the size of the dog, when the dog is walking the owner and they obviously have no control.

I for one can’t see the point of owning that type of dog.
    What comfort can you have having to worry constantly is it going to escape and attack someone or something.
    What good is it going for a walk and needing eyes in the back of your head Incase someone with a dog approached you and all hell breaks loose.
    What are the actual advantages of owning this type of dog?
    Give me a nice quiet paddy Irishman sheepdog or an old mongerel out of the pound any day before I’d have one.
    It’s like leaving a loaded gun in the house and wondering if anything will happen when there’s no fcukin need for guns at all.

Real question - why would you want such a large dog - from the post above it sounds like you might live in an estate so surrounded by other people / animals?

I don't actually. I live on a private bit of land not that close to another house. About maybe 200 yards or so.

With regards other dogs we avoid walking her at "peak" time which is generally between 5 and 7 around our way, so she gets walked at 10.30 in the morning and about 7 in the evening

I don't actually. I live on a private bit of land not that close to another house. About maybe 200 yards or so.

With regards other dogs we avoid walking her at "peak" time which is generally between 5 and 7 around our way, so she gets walked at 10.30 in the morning and about 7 in the evening
    You're very self entitled with your dog

Should have got rid after nearly chewing a small dog to death

fqollere wrote: »
    You're very self entitled with your dog

Should have got rid after nearly chewing a small dog to death

Constructive post. If you have nothing else to add then jog on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Two labs beside my parents house savaged both our dogs on two separate occasions. Parents dogs are contained and are not off the property. They are truly two disgusting beasts. No idea why they were not put down after the first incident.

The same dogs, rared correctly, may not be vicious at all. I don't get the ignorance in the first couple of posts on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Vicious bastards. Should be shot on site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is the thread when it took place!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103710648

Think about that though.
    The postman was in the van complaining to the owner that the dogs had bust his tyres and the fcukers jump out and do it again while he’s there complaining.
    What in the name of god was going on.ffs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement