Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrific way to go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

As the owner of large Malamute i can relate to some of the replies in this thread.

Whenever i am walking her i will cross the road if i see a person on the same side and even more so if they have a dog. Unfortunately as a rescue dog she doesn't mix well with any dog and a lot of humans so you need to be so careful.

I had an incident were the front door was left open and she bolted as she could obviously smell another dog, happened to be a terrier type but she had it by the next, thankfully i got out on time to get the other dog released. But my dog didn't listen to verbal instructiion so i had to hit her a few clatters in the head (she has a head like concrete in case animal rights are here), thankfully the other dog was fine but the owner was really shaken up and understandably so.

My point is that you must always ensure you have your dogs kept away from any potential dangers to other animals or humans as this tragic case shows

RIP

or you could you know - not have an animal that's potentially lethal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

lawred2 wrote: »

So every dog over a certain size should be banned? Is that what you are getting at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

presa-canario8-1024x576.jpg

Great house pet.

What a beautiful dog. Stunning.

Constructive post. If you have nothing else to add then jog on

It was a very constructive post as it goes... Keeping an animal that you know to have been aggressive is deeply anti social

So nobody should have labradors, Jack Russells or golden retrievers either then?

So every dog over a certain size should be banned? Is that what you are getting at?

I'd start with the ones who have actually attacked other people and/or animals..

But it's quite clear that those three dogs in question have no place in most normal residential settings..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'd start with the ones who have actually attacked other people and/or animals..

Golden Retrievers statistically put more people in hospital every year than any other breed.

Maybe they could breed some of the heaviness and jaw power out of them.

Golden Retrievers statistically put more people in hospital every year than any other breed.

and?

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you are a scumbag and "raise" the dogs as such. I can only imagine those dogs were never exercised and on the rare occasion they were, the guy was getting dragged up the road by them. That's when I cross the road, no matter the size of the dog, when the dog is walking the owner and they obviously have no control.

I cannot agree with this more.

I see it all the time unfortunately. My folks have a tiny dog, which is more like a big rat than a dog. Any time I walk it I always have to be really wary of other dog walkers, because while most are responsible, there is always people who are totally oblivious to the fact they would not have the strength to restrain their dog if they had to. They think because it's on a lead they are grand, while it's the dog that's taking them for a walk rather than the other way around. Numerous I've had to lift my dog because some other walker has not been able to control their animal and it's made a run for mine.

People shouldn't own dogs that they cannot physically control. Some dogs are just uncontrollable, and so completely unsuitable for household pets.

Any time you take an animal that you cannot control physically into a public place, intentionally or unintentionally, you are taking a risk, and I think there are too many pet owners who do not understand this risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That’s because every second house has one making them one of the most popular breeds out there.
    Statistically if there are a high population of golden retrievers the contained population of bad bastard golden retriever will also prove to be high

and?

Surely they should be culled or just never kept as pets?

But it's quite clear that those three dogs in question have no place in most normal residential settings..

It's not black or white

Say for instance someone breaks in to my house and my dog was to attack that person. Is this wrong?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sickening. These types of dogs should be completely banned...end of. No room for any sort of debate here.

IMO the sort of people who have and seek out such dangerous and vicious dogs tend to be scum. If dangerous dog breeds like this one are not deemed illegal then the next victim - and there will be a next - may well be a small child.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Sickening. These types of dogs should be completely banned...end of. No room for any sort of debate here.

IMO the sort of people who have and seek our such dangerous and vicious dogs tend to be scum. If dangerous dog breeds like this one are not deemed illegal then the next victim - and there will be a next - may well be a small child.

Why should they be banned? There's your room for debate.

On a personal note, I've never understood the attraction to these sort of breeds. These animals could never be trusted, and you must always be wary around them.

There are thousands of alternative breeds more suitable for domestication.

What's the point?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    On a personal note, I've never understood the attraction to these sort of breeds. These animals could never be trusted, and you must always be wary around them.

So just like EVERY dog then.

It's not black or white

Say for instance someone breaks in to my house and my dog was to attack that person. Is this wrong?

Is that happened with your dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 fqollere

JupiterKid wrote: »

IMO the sort of people who have and seek our such dangerous and vicious dogs tend to be scum. If dangerous dog breeds like this one are not deemed illegal then the next victim - and there will be a next - may well be a small child.
    Small child was the last victim of one type or another

In the news from time to time

Not at all. While you can never fully trust any dog, there is an enormous difference between your average family pet and these breeds.

Is that happened with your dog?

No but that was my fault what happened, not the dogs but that was not what my question to you was

• Advertisement

That’s because every second house has one making them one of the most popular breeds out there.
    Statistically if there are a high population of golden retrievers the contained population of bad bastard golden retriever will also prove to be high

Well having been bitten by one as a kid I would disagree but maybe i am biased.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

If anyone's against getting rid of these dog's humanely, maybe it's more humane drop them off in the middle of a safari where wild cat's roam and let fend for themselves, see who comes out on top.
    I think the cat's will be the winner's here.

Let nature decide on their dominance and survival skills...

What's good for the goose and all that.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you are a scumbag and "raise" the dogs as such. I can only imagine those dogs were never exercised and on the rare occasion they were, the guy was getting dragged up the road by them. That's when I cross the road, no matter the size of the dog, when the dog is walking the owner and they obviously have no control.

We've 2 jack Russell's. 1 of them was previously on a farm. It's difficult to walk him, becuase when he's outside he seems to act like it's his farm and he tries to chase other dogs away. I use a short leash on him becuase of it. But it's annoying when other folks are out, without a leash on their dogs. Or are insistent their dogs are fine. And they cant see why another person is walking away or keeping a dog back....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There are thousands of alternative breeds more suitable for domestication.

What's the point?

You shouldn't trust any animal. That's a human characteristic. They arent human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ve a cocker spaniel here and she never looked sideways at anyone not to mind bite someone.
    I can guarantee 100 percent that she wouldn’t be able to kill anyone even if she tried

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

presa-canario8-1024x576.jpg

Great house pet.

There's an absolutely gigantic one of these "guarding" (pretty sure the guy who lives there has certain things needing guarding if you follow me) a house near me, I see it in the front garden now and then, if it lost it and went for someone, there'd be no stopping it, I didn't know they could get that size before I saw it.

Not at all. While you can never fully trust any dog, there is an enormous difference between your average family pet and these breeds.

My staffie is a family pet, she is 14 now and we got her from the pound 7 years ago. She doesn't bark, doesn't growl, has shown nothing but affection to my kids, my wife and myself. All the kids on the street love her when she goes to the green for her belly rubs.

What do you suggest we do with her?

You shouldn't trust any animal. That's a human characteristic. They arent human.

Yes, I've already said that.

But as I already pointed out, there is an enormous difference between the amount of trust you can put in your average family pet, and the amount of trust you can put in these breeds.

I’ve a cocker spaniel here and she never looked sideways at anyone not to mind bite someone.
    I can guarantee 100 percent that she wouldn’t be able to kill anyone even if she tried

So the exact same as my staffie which people would vilify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

• Advertisement

So the exact same as my staffie which people would vilify.

My brother has one.

They'd lick you to death!

No but that was my fault what happened, not the dogs but that was not what my question to you was

What do you mean your fault?

Your dog attacked another without provocation... If your dog is the sort that requires physical restraint to prevent it from doing that then it's not a well socialized animal...

As for attacking intruders - that's an entirely difference scenario. Both humans and animals attack when they feel threatened. Which is what a home invasion is.

But socialized humans and socialized non threatening animals don't run across the street to attack others.. When humans do it - we tend to imprison them.

My staffie is a family pet, she is 14 now and we got her from the pound 7 years ago. She doesn't bark, doesn't growl, has shown nothing but affection to my kids, my wife and myself. All the kids on the street love her when she goes to the green for her belly rubs.

What do you suggest we do with her?

Not let her out loose on the green. Its actually illegal to let them out without a muzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Happened before with these exact same dogs in the USA. Even though it was an unintended dog attack (dog escaped) and the keeper tried to help the victim, she was convicted of murder

Linky

Not let her out loose on the green. Its actually illegal to let them out without a muzzle.

Could you point out exactly where I said she goes out unmuzzled?

What do you mean your fault?

Your dog attacked another without provocation... If your dog is the sort that requires physical restraint to prevent it from doing that then it's not a well socialized animal...

As for attacking intruders - that's an entirely difference scenario. Both humans and animals attack when they feel threatened. Which is what a home invasion is.

But socialized humans and socialized non threatening animals don't run across the street to attack others.. When humans do it - we tend to imprison them.

But my breed isn't on the restricted list and it's not just my dog it is the breed itself that has a strong prey drive for smaller animals.

You'll find most large dogs are the same.

Could you point out exactly where I said she goes out unmuzzled?

That's fine then.

You said she went out on the green. I assumed you let her off the lead from the wording.

But my breed isn't on the restricted list and it's not just my dog it is the breed itself that has a strong prey drive for smaller animals.

You'll find most large dogs are the same.

ok that's fine then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

fqollere wrote: »
    I'm calling BS on this

Nah. Dog fighting is still a thing here, and the live videos are streamed to social media platforms in Asia where gambling takes place on the outcome.

Travellers are involved, as are ‘good republican’ sorts from Armagh and Tyrone. There’s also good ‘cross community engagement’ in the scene as East Belfast has a culture of breeding vicious dogs for fighting.

• Advertisement

This thread has morphed in to "Dog person V Cat person"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

The eyes would definitely be a “weak point”.

I heard long ago that the thing to do if a Rottweiler is attacking you is to stick your finger up it’s arse.
    Apparently, this causes the dog’s jaw to “lock” open and you can get away.

I’m pretty it’s bullshít but I figure if I’m ever in that situation, of being attacked, I’ll give it a go. But I’d go for the eyes first.

I like to do this except I use my cock instead.

unkel wrote: »
    Happened before with these exact same dogs in the USA. Even though it was an unintended dog attack (dog escaped) and the keeper tried to help the victim, she was convicted of murder

Linky

Both those dogs weigh more than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

People (guys esp) have these dogs to look & feel hard

simple as

This thread has morphed in to "Dog person V Cat person"

What about horse people?
    Nah. Dog fighting is still a thing here, and the live videos are streamed to social media platforms in Asia where gambling takes place on the outcome.

Travellers are involved, as are ‘good republican’ sorts from Armagh and Tyrone. There’s also good ‘cross community engagement’ in the scene as East Belfast has a culture of breeding vicious dogs for fighting.

Sadly true. I am not going to tar everyone who is a traveler like that but its a thing same in Northern Ireland. The guards and ISPCA officers are well aware of it.

What about horse people?

You wouldn't have a horse chilling on your couch though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hardmen love having hard dogs, nothing new here.

your man should be done for manslaughter and also get a visit from the CAB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I think that the son should be charged with manslaughter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

frosty123 wrote: »
    People (guys esp) have these dogs to look & feel hard

simple as

Usually They're not the hardest of people if they need a dog like this to build themselves up.

Maybe it's me but a lot of people who have dogs like this are usually scallies or wannabe scallies.

They can afford the dog's and can look after them but cannot afford to pay child support or have the ability to find a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved from AH > CA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Number one breed for dog attacks is the golden lab retrievers

What a load of bollox

Dogs that bite people the most:

1.Jack Russell
    2.Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    3.Pit Bull
    4.German Shepherd
    5.Rottweiler