Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrific way to go

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've had her for 7 years so I do know her and her tendencies.

not when you picked her up you didn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

lawred2 wrote: »
    not when you picked her up you didn't

Don't assume, it makes an ass...................

Don't assume, it makes an ass...................

well let's follow that line then - how did you intimately know the dog when you picked it up?

well let's follow that line then - how did you intimately know the dog when you picked it up?

I had only a small background story but your questiion was aimed at someone else!

I had only a small background story but your questiion was aimed at someone else!

well it was you who interjected... but it's clear you did not know the dog intimately

• Advertisement

well it was you who interjected... but it's clear you did not know the dog intimately

I didn't no, but the rescue shelter who are widely regarded told me about likes and dislikes which prepared us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Boxers don’t need to wear a muzzle.

You don’t have to reply to every. Single. Thread.

Oddly enough, neither do Presa's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Presumably now Martin is going to track down the owners of the 20-25 Presa Canario dogs he puppy farmed out over the past 8 years and shoot their dogs before they eviscerate someones child?

That's the scary bit - who has these dogs and how are they managing them? I like dogs and would normally get on fine but I wouldn't like to be running into the likes of these. No need for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    About time someone sorted out all those pesky French Bulldogs!

Ooh la la!

Ok maybe just plastic surgery for them... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

People should be getting rescues instead of buying the latest fashionable dog breed.

I never understand this.

Why ?

Do you think people shouldn’t be allowed get breeds they want ?

What do you think should be done with the pedigree pups ?

Do they not deserve homes too ?

We’ve had rescues in the past and they didn’t always work out for us so now we only have boxers because we love the breed and they suit our family.

We have 2 at the moment. Reared from pups and yes I trust them in as much as they won’t attack anyone but they’re never out of my sight when out in public and I only let them off in certain places where I can see them and I know they won’t bother anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I never understand this.

Why ?

Do you think people shouldn’t be allowed get breeds they want ?

What do you think should be done with the pedigree pups ?

Do they not deserve homes too ?

We’ve had rescues in the past and they didn’t always work out for us so now we only have boxers because we love the breed and they suit our family.

We have 2 at the moment. Reared from pups and yes I trust them in as much as they won’t attack anyone but they’re never out of my sight when out in public and I only let them off in certain places where I can see them and I know they won’t bother anyone.

Boxers are lovely dogs but many are suffering from being over-bred, as are lots of pedigree dogs. Heart problems and breathing problems are common in them. Of course the ones that are here should be loved and they make great pets, but should people continue breeding them knowing that these health problems are getting worse as the generations go on?

Boxers are lovely dogs but many are suffering from being over-bred, as are lots of pedigree dogs. Heart problems and breathing problems are common in them. Of course the ones that are here should be loved and they make great pets, but should people continue breeding them knowing that these health problems are getting worse as the generations go on?

Sorry if i'm wrong here but are these health problems you speak of not genetically passed on?

I know in big dogs Hip dysplaxia is a problem with ageing dogs.

What has over breeding got to do with it? Genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Overbreeding any animal is bad. I imagine most would agree with that.

That doesn’t mean everyone should go to a pound or pick up a rescue though. Fine if that’s your choice but it’s equally ok to choose a breed for you and go get one assuming it’s from a good breeder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The eyes would definitely be a “weak point”.
    I heard long ago that the thing to do if a Rottweiler is attacking you is to stick your finger up it’s arse.
    Apparently, this causes the dog’s jaw to “lock” open and you can get away.
    Works well about 5% of the time, mostly with gay Rottweilers.
    The other 95% of the time you are going to find yourself in serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I see this looks like another one of those blame the dog rather than the owner threads.
    You can tell who has big dogs or who is an actual dog person by the reasoned responses, as opposed to the kill them all folks..

Sorry if i'm wrong here but are these health problems you speak of not genetically passed on?

I know in big dogs Hip dysplaxia is a problem with ageing dogs.

What has over breeding got to do with it? Genuine question

Yes, they are genetically passed on. So if you have a dog with the gene for a disorder common with a particular breed, and they are bred with another dog from that breed, the chances are very high that the litter will have that disorder. Then there are traits which are been purposefully overbred in pedigree showdogs. Some of it is discussed in this article, as an example:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/15/pedigree-dogs-breeding-crufts-german-shepherd-best-in-breed

Mixed breed dogs also statistically live longer.

I say all this with the greatest respect for those who have and love their pure-breed dogs, I'm not implying you're in any way wrong for choosing the dog you did, but it's also not wrong for people to suggest that adopting a rescue mutt might be a good option instead of paying a breeder.

Yes, they are genetically passed on. So if you have a dog with the gene for a disorder common with a particular breed, and they are bred with another dog from that breed, the chances are very high that the litter will have that disorder. Then there are traits which are been purposefully overbred in pedigree showdogs. Some of it is discussed in this article, as an example:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/15/pedigree-dogs-breeding-crufts-german-shepherd-best-in-breed

Mixed breed dogs also statistically live longer.

I say all this with the greatest respect for those who have and love their pure-breed dogs, I'm not implying you're in any way wrong for choosing the dog you did, but it's also not wrong for people to suggest that adopting a rescue mutt might be a good option instead of paying a breeder.

Ah sorry, mis read what you said initially. Makes sense, yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You can tell who has big dogs or who is an actual dog person by the reasoned responses

Yeah, they are the ones acting like gun owners in the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Why hasn't the dog owner been prosecuted?
    I can not understand it.
    If you caused a death in a different manner you'd expect some action by the authorities.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Mainly because any time something like this happens, all large dogs get tarred with the same brush, instead of the blame being aimed at the owners for not training their dogs.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »

Guns have one purpose; they are a weapon. Some dogs can be used as a weapon, but they shouldn't be and they are far more than that overall. Should they be licenced? Should their owners receive training? Should dog ownership be regulated? Absolutely, bring it on. I think US gun owners have a problem with some of those things? Just because you don't like dogs, doesn't mean they're bad and nobody should have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I can not understand it.
    If you caused a death in a different manner you'd expect some action by the authorities.

Should be charged with manslaughter tbh. You are responsible for your dogs and their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I can not understand it.

I think you'll find the fact they are travellers is a big part of that.

Animal and child neglecters. Incidents like this and the Carrickmines fire were preventable by simply not allowing travellers to be a law onto themselves. The protected ethnic status needs to be revoked to protect the vulnerable people that find themselves part of the travelling community and for the good of Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Graces7 wrote: »
    WHY did the postman not report this to the Dog warden or the Gardai?

Also it says in the article that the original pair he had mated "accidentally"? They were littermates so immediately genetic inbreeding enters the scene? Also they had cropped ears? To remove ID?.

The postbox was moved so posty hadn’t to go near the dogs.yes he probably should have reported them but didn’t.
    As for the accidental breeding that was boll1x talk by the owner.he was microchipping the pups and leaving the details blank so he was selling them and the new owner could register it to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Why are you having a conversation with yourself?

Who posts and quotes themselves lol

Forgot to log in to her other account!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Number one breed for dog attacks is the golden lab retrievers followed by pitbulls.

Is that in % or just numbers of attacks? If it's just a flat out number of attacks table then its pointless. There could be a dog breed that does nothing but attack people and if theres only a couple of them in the country, they'll never register on a list like that.

If it's as a percentage of the amount of them in the country then thats different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,826 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is that in % or just numbers of attacks? If it's just a flat out number of attacks table then its pointless. There could be a dog breed that does nothing but attack people and if theres only a couple of them in the country, they'll never register on a list like that.

If it's as a percentage of the amount of them in the country then thats different.

Your post has merit, it's about statistics, but I've proven the comment that you are quoting wrong. See my post with the top 10 of dogs that bite humans most. Pretty much all dogs that are on the restricted list are in there. Plus some that should be on the restricted list. Labrador / Retrievers were not in that top 10, although they are more common than any breed in that top 10

C'mon, everyone and the dogs in the street know that Labrador / Retrievers are just about the most intelligent and human friendly dog you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

GreeBo wrote: »
    "I didnt know it was dangerous, someone should have told me"

guU7y0M5_400x400.jpg

Piss off with yourself you moron, if you saw that in a marvel film youd say it was fake looking!

Excuse my ignorance. But why are the ears clipped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Excuse my ignorance. But why are the ears clipped?

They used to clip the ears and tail off them when they fight them so as the opponent dog has nothing to grab onto and pull.
    The same way they dub fighting roosters which is removing wattles and comb.again giving the other bird nothing to hold.
    Nowadays the ear clipping is just to reinforce the hard man image unless they do actually fight them.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Your post has merit, it's about statistics, but I've proven the comment that you are quoting wrong. See my post with the top 10 of dogs that bite humans most. Pretty much all dogs that are on the restricted list are in there. Plus some that should be on the restricted list. Labrador / Retrievers were not in that top 10, although they are more common than any breed in that top 10

C'mon, everyone and the dogs in the street know that Labrador / Retrievers are just about the most intelligent and human friendly dog you can get
    You've obviously never seen a pitbull (not owned by a scrote) with kids. They're like big happy teddy bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Why o why on earth would anyone keep a dog like that as a house pet, a danger to society, absolute morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

storker wrote:
    Like something out of a horror movie.

storker wrote:
    When I become dictator such dogs would be shot on sight with jail time for their owners. Likewise for other "hard dogs", especially anything with "Bull" in its name.

I entirely agree. You should Google "Death of Diane Whipple". It is a story that will justify your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭katiek102010

A friend has one, got her as a rescue. She is huge and thinks she's a lapdog.

Possibly one of the most loving sweet dogs I have ever seen or met.

Has never growled or barked at anyone and always looks so sad when it's walk time. Cannot go out without a harness or muzzle.

It's the owners fault not the dogs. They were trained to behave like that.

It's a heartbreaking situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

They used to clip the ears and tail off them when they fight them so as the opponent dog has nothing to grab onto and pull.
    The same way they dub fighting roosters which is removing wattles and comb.again giving the other bird nothing to hold.
    Nowadays the ear clipping is just to reinforce the hard man image unless they do actually fight them.

Jesus. That is grim. Can only imagine that is the reason they included that fact in the article. RIP to the poor woman. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

A friend has one, got her as a rescue. She is huge and thinks she's a lapdog.

Possibly one of the most loving sweet dogs I have ever seen or met.

Has never growled or barked at anyone and always looks so sad when it's walk time. Cannot go out without a harness or muzzle.

It's the owners fault not the dogs. They were trained to behave like that.

It's a heartbreaking situation

I’ve heard that many times in cases where vicious breeds attack people, they were sweet lovely etc never barked that is until something triggers their instinctive aggressive trait and when you’re dealing with dogs that powerful nothing short of a gun would stop them, it’s impossible to predict a dogs reaction to a certain trigger, not saying in your friends case but many people own these breeds just to intimidate other people, I can’t see how something like that would be seen as a cuddly house pet

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    What a load of bollox

Dogs that bite people the most:

1.Jack Russell
    2.Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    3.Pit Bull
    4.German Shepherd
    5.Rottweiler
    6.Dachshund
    7.Boxer
    8.Great Dane
    9.Doberman Pinscher
    10.Siberian Husky

Linky

The dogs in the street know that ;)
    Only dogs that have ever bitten me are jack Russell's.

I have encountered tons of staffirs. I have Never met a vicious one. They are the sweetest, most loving breed I have ever encountered

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You've obviously never seen a pitbull (not owned by a scrote) with kids. They're like big happy teddy bears.

I have. One of my customers has a pitbull and he has a 10 month old baby girl. Crawling around. That dog is the happiest dog I have ever seen. And extremely friendly. In my local dog run some of my favourite dogs are a pair of Rottweilers and a Belgian shepard. All very well behaved, very happy. And well trained.

99% of dogs (whatever the breed) are good. Some are not and when you have a few of them like the ones in the OP attack a human, they can kill

Very hard though to put up a legal framework around this. I guess what we have now, with restricted breeds (known to be far more likely to bite humans) that need to be muzzled at all times and holding people to account for things their dogs do (as in convicting them of manslaughter or murder, not some lame "misadventure" conclusion) with dogs as vicious as the ones in the OP, bred purely for profit and for fighting to the death by knackers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44CgIvKD19w&t=255s

Not that I expect many here to watch it. But these are the breed in question being handled and trained by someone who knows exactly what he is doing, not by a scumbag in Galway.

As I said, a stunning animal.

They are lovely. My friends girl is beautiful. She's a very clever dog too

They are lovely. My friends girl is beautiful. She's a very clever dog too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44CgIvKD19w&t=255s

Not that I expect many here to watch it. But these are the breed in question being handled and trained by someone who knows exactly what he is doing, not by a scumbag in Galway.

As I said, a stunning animal.

Oh wow, so I do see one of these regularly in my local dog park in Lucan. A bitch very similar to the one in your video. She is always muzzled and indeed she needs to be. Only interested in the male dog she lives with and the attention he gets from other dogs in the dog park. And her jealousy.

I would have been very frightened if she wasn't muzzled to be honest. A very domineering dog. Looks extremely powerful. And dangerous. I'd sh1t my pants if an ummuzzled male would ever approach me.

Calltocall wrote: »
    I’ve heard that many times in cases where vicious breeds attack people, they were sweet lovely etc never barked that is until something triggers their instinctive aggressive trait and when you’re dealing with dogs that powerful nothing short of a gun would stop them, it’s impossible to predict a dogs reaction to a certain trigger, not saying in your friends case but many people own these breeds just to intimidate other people, I can’t see how something like that would be seen as a cuddly house pet

Those photos posted earlier in the thread are not realistic pictures of the breed. Look at the video someone posted earlier.

The breed are more like labs with muscles ore large staffies.

• Advertisement

Calltocall wrote: »

I guess to follow up on why I posted above, to give my personal experience, about fifteen years ago my uncle lived next door to a chap with small kids who owned a bull terrier, my uncle often said to him aren’t you worried having a thing like that around little kids, no no he said, he’s well trained, lovely nature etc etc, wouldn’t hurt a fly, beautiful breed

I remember my uncle saying to me that gob****e next door should be reported to child services for having a thing like that around small kids because they can flip like a switch and have serious power, he hasn’t a brain in his head etc anyway I didn’t take much notice and remember the dog actually being quite friendly, until one day unc was at home and hears the guys missus screaming hysterically, unc ran outside and there’s lovely sweet bull terrier swinging their 8 year old daughter by the arm and trashing her on the ground, my uncle said he kicked it full force, nothing, ran back inside for a hurl and only after nearly breaking the hurl off the top the dogs head it let go and turned on my unc however he caught it in the eye with another blow and it backed off, needless to say the dog was gone the following day and the fella was gone too, little girl was alright but needed stitches, a different story if the uncle wasn’t home, after that would never trust breeds like that around kids etc, absolutely insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

thomasm wrote: »
    So whats the best thing to do if a dog is attacking you and you cant get away. Go for the eyes, throat, legs??

I've read a long time ago that if it's a full on serious attack, pull the front legs wide apart as far as you can. It either dislocates the legs or breaks the sternum open so it's fatal pretty quick as far as I recall.

Dunno how true or effective it might be but sounds plausible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Hi,

it sounds like you are very responsible with your dog and are considerate to other people and their dogs.

I’m not being smart asking this but are you not terrified that your dog would escape again and cause more harm ? I know you are doing everything to prevent that happening but human error does happen....doors windows or gates do get left open and people’s dogs often escape unintentionally.

For example, what if your dog got out without you knowing and went for a dog being walked or carried by someone or a child ?

What precautions do you take to prevent this. I’m not being smart, I’m just trying to understand how you prevent this happening and how can you be sure your dog will never escape unintentionally.

Would it be possible to slowly train the dog to be ok with people and dogs ?

Fair question.

OK so she is fine with most other people but when a stranger rubs a malamute she makes a noise that sounds like a growl (it's not actually) so i try and avoid that situation.

If you are wearing a hi vis (no idea why) she'll bark really aggresively so again will cross the road or turn around. Same with Cyclists.

How we prevent it and it was a freak event how the initial event occurred is we have 10 feet high cast iron electric gates in to our house. They lock themselves after i drive in. On the occasions she got out i didn't press the button, the front door happened to be open as it was a hot day and i arrived home early. Chain of events. Thankfully it worked out ok.

With regards other dogs, she is ok generally with some other dogs but does not get on with any breed of bitch.

With regards training her, we got her as a rescue when she was 4 so i don't know the full background behind her story, was she mis-treated etc etc

I still think you should work with a profession to get her trained and socialised under the advise of a registered trainer or behaviourist. A lot of bites or attacks could be prevented if owners worked with a professional and addressed the issues instead of avoiding the issues. It must be stressful for your dog walking and if she was helped she would be a much happier dog on walks.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t know history. A huge proportion of dogs would be from shelters and have no history and are trained.

It would take time patience and commitment but I’m sure with a good behaviourist the issues could be resolved.

You sound like a responsible owner but I think it’s a little naive to think your dog will never ever escape again, human error happens, doors, windows get left open....

Near me a dog escaped from an owners house, it attacked a puppy being walked by a young teenager and the young teenager got caught up in the attack. She needs stitches and surgery and only for the fact someone witnessed what was happening and got the dog off the puppy and her it could have been a lot worse.

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Near me a dog escaped from an owners house, it attacked a puppy being walked by a young teenager and the young teenager got caught up in the attack. She needs stitches and surgery and only for the fact someone witnessed what was happening and got the dog off the puppy and her it could have been a lot worse.

I hope that dog was put down and the owner had to pay up for all costs incurred. Any dog that ever damages any other living dog / cat / human should be culled immediately. At the expense of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

This board is getting really scummy. Don't even make your point just be snakey about it.

The woman is dead.

I hate this PC bull we all know what the poster meant and I fully AGREE with that poster.

Look at Pat Kenny did not want apartments built near him and Mary Robinson made sure the ethnic group :rolleyes: we are not talking about :rolleyes: was blocked from moving into her area.

As the owner of large Malamute i can relate to some of the replies in this thread.

Whenever i am walking her i will cross the road if i see a person on the same side and even more so if they have a dog. Unfortunately as a rescue dog she doesn't mix well with any dog and a lot of humans so you need to be so careful.

I had an incident were the front door was left open and she bolted as she could obviously smell another dog, happened to be a terrier type but she had it by the next, thankfully i got out on time to get the other dog released. But my dog didn't listen to verbal instructiion so i had to hit her a few clatters in the head (she has a head like concrete in case animal rights are here), thankfully the other dog was fine but the owner was really shaken up and understandably so.

My point is that you must always ensure you have your dogs kept away from any potential dangers to other animals or humans as this tragic case shows

RIP

The door was left open and the dog got out and you gave it a few clatters.

It seems it is people like you that need a few clatters not ownership of a vicious animal you can't keep under control.

You can take the above as a joke not a threat but owing such a dog is no joke I was terrified of dogs as a child due to an incident with one.

She is a rescue dog and i had a chance to save her from being put down.

She is in no way vicious with me or mrs or child but very protective.

Although with regards smaller dogs, cats and rabbits that's just the breeds natural prey drive they have

And you have already failed to keep it under control.

Fair enough. Sorry.

What are you sorry for?
    She is in no way vicious with me or mrs or child but very protective.

The dog has already escaped out of an open door people like this should not have dogs like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

thomasm wrote: »
    So whats the best thing to do if a dog is attacking you and you cant get away. Go for the eyes, throat, legs??

Stand your ground most only go for you if you show fear and definitely if you run.

It's not black or white

Say for instance someone breaks in to my house and my dog was to attack that person. Is this wrong?

You already said that dog escaped out an open door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement