Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone disabled pin request

Options
  • 26-07-2019 10:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

What's the difference between these two displays? On an iPhone I was dealing with lately, it was requesting a 6 digit pin when turned on. I've never been asked for a 6 digit pin before. It seems so bizarre to me. Any pin options that I could think of were 4 digits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

There is an option to change between a 4 digit & 6 digit passcode in settings. Also pin & passcode are different. The PIN is linked to the SIM card. The passcode is linked to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

djdunny wrote: »
    There is an option to change between a 4 digit & 6 digit passcode in settings. Also pin & passcode are different. The PIN is linked to the SIM card. The passcode is linked to the phone.

If I remember correctly, when Apple brought in the 6 digit passcode, it was mandatory and you couldn't have a 4 digit code

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

djdunny wrote: »
    Anyway, it my mother's phone and she has dementia. We need it as we suspect an important text has arrived. My dad already guessed the passcode incorrectly 10 times so the phone is now disabled. I'm not sure if there's much Apple Care could do if it's disabled.

Just to be sure, we have to erase the phone now? There no way around that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Afaik after 10 failed passcode attempts the phone has to be erased and restored. If you know the Apple ID and password (and iCloud backup was enabled) you would be able to subsequently restore most of the data from the last backup.

Advertisement