Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contentious Divorce

• 26-07-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for advise on this. Firstly I live in Spain and got married here to a non Spanish woman.

After we separated two years ago, she moved back to her own country outside of the EU. We tried for a mutual divorce but in the end it broke down.

My lawyer assured me then that even though it would be so much easier to have the mutual divorce, its still possible to get a Contentious one even though my ex has no interest.

The lawyer told me that after a few attempts at sending papers to her without confirmation we could just move on with proceedings.

But recently when I asked for an update she said look, your ex doesnt have to sign the papers, she just has to confirm she received them, via a signature for DHL or any delivery company.

I pointed out that my ex is not going to do anything at all, in relation to this, that includes accepting the papers and I thought I was clear with the lawyer on my exes stance on this.

So I am kinda stuck in limbo. Im not sure if I should get a second opinion or change lawyer since I am not happy that the advice has not been consistent and I also find it strange that a person has to be stuck married to another person even though they are separated and living on different continents.

Any advise or help, appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

If you can't get her to sign to accept receipt of the documents you should be able to pay someone to serve her.

This could involve someone just walking up to her and dropping the documents at her feet. You've been served. like you say you can't be expected to stay married forever just because she's stubborn. Of course you use a professional service provider, then a judge can see its independent and trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

LastStop wrote: »
    If you can't get her to sign to accept receipt of the documents you should be able to pay someone to serve her.

This could involve someone just walking up to her and dropping the documents at her feet. You've been served. like you say you can't be expected to stay married forever just because she's stubborn. Of course you use a professional service provider, then a judge can see its independent and trustworthy.

Thanks for the reply. I´m going to talk to my lawyer to see what can be done.

Advertisement