Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Difference for large extension plan

Options
  • 26-07-2019 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Ive bought a house that needs considerable refurbishment. I originally was goign to just add a 40m open plan flat roof extension and have a couple of ballpark figures for this, including changes to main house.

This job wouldnt need an architect as its pretty standard. So standard drawings and an QS to sign of should be fine

Im currently looking at changing it to a 2 story, with a bedroom on top of 1 side of the flat roof (this would require planning and probably and architect etc).

Anyone have any idea at all of the difference in cost. Im hoping itll be less that 40k. To do a generic 40m flat roof and fix up old house will be 80-100k.

DSC_1311-1_2-cropped-copy-1-1450x660.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's nothing generic about the picture you have posted. It wont be done for 100k.
    Also, are you sure a QS can sign off on your works?

A full 40 Sq. M extension close to the finish of that photo would be circa 80-90k alone. Then the refurb cost of the existing house would be about 1000-1500 per square meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ the windows/doors alone would probably be €30K!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The word ‘hope’ says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

kceire wrote: »
    There's nothing generic about the picture you have posted. It wont be done for 100k.
    Also, are you sure a QS can sign off on your works?

A full 40 Sq. M extension close to the finish of that photo would be circa 80-90k alone. Then the refurb cost of the existing house would be about 1000-1500 per square meter.

I wouldnt expect the above for 100k, the standard 40m flat roof single story and some work to the existinghouse will eb about 100k. Im kinf og hoping this maight be in the 160 k max i suppose.

aidankkk wrote: »
    I wouldnt expect the above for 100k, the standard 40m flat roof single story and some work to the existinghouse will eb about 100k. Im kinf og hoping this maight be in the 160 k max i suppose.

40 Sq. M Extension and refurb of existing house could be 100k depending on spec and size of existing house.

• Advertisement

40 Sq. M Extension and refurb of existing house could be 100k depending on spec and size of existing house.

It is thats the rought budget ive been given. Im just wondering is it worth the extra cost of a second story, given itll need planning etc and possibly proper architect etc. Obviously the roof of the extension will have to be completely different to hold up the second floor, given there is no internal wall in it.

It is thats the rought budget ive been given. Im just wondering is it worth the extra cost of a second story, given itll need planning etc and possibly proper architect etc. Obviously the roof of the extension will have to be completely different to hold up the second floor, given there is no internal wall in it.

Best to get a design you like working towards your rough budget, then get 3 quotes or get a QS to prepare a Bill of Quantities to issue to the contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If two storey is what you really want, but maybe dont need yet, get all the infrastructure done now but dont finish all the rooms until later.

Best to get a design you like working towards your rough budget, then get 3 quotes or get a QS to prepare a Bill of Quantities to issue to the contractors.

My budget is flexible. I suppose im hoping to get some kind of idea what the difference would be. As an example if someone in the know said "youre not getting that for less that 200k. Id probably go and just do the 1 story extension, with no need for big architect bills etc, as that was my origingal plan, and i view the value to me of 2nd story around the 50 k mark over the original budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

40k :o

As others have said, glazing alone will be close to that... that bi-fold door alone would come in near 10k based on recent prices I got

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    40k :o

As others have said, glazing alone will be close to that... that bi-fold door alone would come in near 10k based on recent prices I got

100k is my budget for the single story 40sm extension, (there is only 5mt of bifold , which is 7k apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

100k is my budget for the single story 40sm extension, (there is only 5mt of bifold , which is 7k apparently)

Was quoted 5.5k for a 3m one just a month ago.

I see now, I misread that 40k as total price... not the additional on the 100k price you already had.

Advertisement