Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What should I ask for my car?

Options
  • 26-07-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I want to sell my 2005 Avensis 2-litre diesel privately and don't know what I should ask for it. It has 195,000km on the clock and its NCT expires in 1-2020.

I've looked up prices on the classified ads sites but they can range from €400 to €2,500 for this year and model. I'd appreciate any informed suggestions. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I sold a 2004 car in 2016 and got 1200 for it.
    I sold a 2006 car last year and got 1800 for it.
    Both cars were 12 years old and were 2.5 litre 6 cylinder BMW 5 series petrol.
    Both had lower miles than yours.
    Yours is a 14 year old avensis diesel which while much cheaper to buy to begin with might be in the same ballpark as those due to lower running costs and a big Toyota and diesel following in this country but I doubt it to be honest.
    Stick it up for 1000 and anything over 500 quid take the hand off them and be glad to get rid of it.
    I know a guy selling an 04 golf now and he's holding out for decent money but I can't see him getting anything in 4 figures myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't get 2500 for it anyway, you can pick up 2007 decent ones for that sort of money these days.

Imo I'd start off advertising it at around 1300 and see how you get on. If you get no interest then start dropping the price gradually every few weeks. The biggest challenge for a potential buyer will be insuring it as insurance companies are just squeezing perfectly good cars over 13 years off the road by refusing to cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'd take €600 for it and be done with it, €500 and a kick in the ar$e, I'd be grateful to.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re up against the cheapest 2008 models, which is what people want, they have the 6 speed box and the all important cheap tax. It’s a €500-600 car in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 orkyorky

i'd say €1,250 so haggling time stick to €1,000, toyota avensis great tow car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A 116bhp Avensis can barely move itself not to mind do any serious towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He might have meant it was the one being towed..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks to all who replied, trying for a grand and seeing what I'm offered seems the best option to me now. The cheaper tax from 2008 does put it at a disadvantage.

Advertisement