Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculous Moderation on Current Affairs/IMHO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The correct language to use when discussing a transgender person is their preferred pronoun.

That's an opinion. It might be yours. It might not be mine or someone else's. To label it as correct is just not accurate.

The fact that it's a preferred pronoun means there's a preference i.e. A choice. That choice isn't being afforded here. Yes it might be considered rude or insensitive in some circles but that doesn't mean it's incorrect. Facts should get credence over feelings in a debate, or at least have the opportunity to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not particularly strongly in favour of boards having a policy against deliberate misgendering. I am slightly indifferent on it myself but for people to claim they "respect" trans people but insist on deliberately misgendering them is out and out nonsense.

It really is the opposite of respect.
    By deliberately misgendering a person you are showing disrespect.
    You are saying that you know them better than they know themselves and that you are essentially more knowledgeable about everything to do with them then they are. You are saying everything they believe about themselves is wrong because you say so.
    When you decide not to use a persons preferred pronouns, what you are ultimately saying is that their personal truth is something you are more knowledgeable about than them. You are saying, “How could you possibly know your gender? Only I could know that, and you’re wrong.”
    Not only are you being disrespectful but you are also showing everyone else around you that same disrespect and teaching it to them.
    You actually want to be spiteful and hurtful about the person and to the person rather than change the language that you use.
    You are saying your sense of comfort is more important than the trans person and that you are okay with hurting the trans repeatedly, just so you get to remain comfortable and unchallenged.
    The trans person experience and identity isn’t important to you because you want to remain comfortable. Their identity is merely an inconvenience you refuse to acknowledge just because of your own inflexibilities. The real struggle in life is your struggle to use different pronouns and you just cant give up on it. You want trans people to be dishonest with you about their life experiences You’d prefer that they lied to you, so that you would never be burdened or inconvenienced by their identity or their struggles. What you’re saying is that you’d prefer if they were always dishonest, just to make your life easier.
    You are also endangering the persons safety. By misgendering someone you can endanger their inherent personal sense of safety but also their physical safety by potentially outing them to others.
    Nah. Misgendering is complete and utter disrespect.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm not particularly strongly in favour of boards having a policy against deliberate misgendering. I am slightly indifferent on it myself but for people to claim they "respect" trans people but insist on deliberately misgendering them is out and out nonsense.

You are saying that you know them better than they know themselves and that you are essentially more knowledgeable about everything to do with them then they are. You are saying everything they believe about themselves is wrong because you say so.
    When you decide not to use a persons preferred pronouns, what you are ultimately saying is that their personal truth is something you are more knowledgeable about than them. You are saying, “How could you possibly know your gender? Only I could know that, and you’re wrong.”
    Not only are you being disrespectful but you are also showing everyone else around you that same disrespect and teaching it to them.
    You actually want to be spiteful and hurtful about the person and to the person rather than change the language that you use.
    You are saying your sense of comfort is more important than the trans person and that you are okay with hurting the trans repeatedly, just so you get to remain comfortable and unchallenged.
    The trans person experience and identity isn’t important to you because you want to remain comfortable. Their identity is merely an inconvenience you refuse to acknowledge just because of your own inflexibilities. The real struggle in life is your struggle to use different pronouns and you just cant give up on it. You want trans people to be dishonest with you about their life experiences You’d prefer that they lied to you, so that you would never be burdened or inconvenienced by their identity or their struggles. What you’re saying is that you’d prefer if they were always dishonest, just to make your life easier.
    You are also endangering the persons safety. By misgendering someone you can endanger their inherent personal sense of safety but also their physical safety by potentially outing them to others.

joey i got several paragraphs into that before i realised my post has absolutely no place quoted above it.

can you remove it please? or make it clear that nothing in your response refers to a single thing i typed.

bad enough to be lectured when ive done something that may deserve it, but im not taking a verbal dressing down on behalf of anyone else on this, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

A brilliant contribution Joey, well done. It's quite astounding how a tiny weeny minority of the populace living out their private lives as transgender riles up such a conservative bunch when there is no affect from transgender people on their daily lives other than transgender people existing. Their mindset of objecting to transgender people is baffling to most of the public.

• Advertisement

klaaaz wrote:
    A brilliant contribution Joey, well done. It's quite astounding how a tiny weeny minority of the populace living out their private lives as transgender riles up such a conservative bunch when there is no affect from transgender people on their daily lives other than transgender people existing. Their mindset of objecting to transgender people is baffling to most of the public.

Both yourself and Joey have spectacularly missed the point.

A tiny weeny minority are free to live how they wish.

That is not the issue. It has been spelled out on numerous occasions on this thread and on the **** show of a thread that has been moderated to now only allow "right think".

Your life experiences don't make you a man or a woman, your feelings don't make you a man or a woman, your struggles don't make you a man or a woman and your "personal truth" doesn't make you a man or a woman.

While it was a nice appeal to emotion Joey, it has nothing to do with the reality of biology.

Well that's nonsense in itself. You're sitting on the fence and goading both sides of the argument to at least some degree.

And what about everything I might believe about the person to whom I refer? What gives anyone the right to say that someone else can dictate which pronoun I may use when I speak or write about someone? There's no such right. A local policy here on boards or on other social media and digital platforms is the extent of it. But that doesn't reflect reality. And if I decide that 'he' or 'she' is appropriate based on my own reasoned assessment of the likely gender of a person based on my own observations, why would it be reasonable to insist that I adapt the pronouns another person decides to use when describing themselves? The concept of a self identified male-to-female transgendered lesbian, replete with a Y chromosome, a shadow beard and a penis, dictating to me that I should use a female pronoun as they define it as their preferred pronoun is preposterous. Extreme example? Yeah. Yaniv is equally ridiculous, but look at C-16 in Canada and the consequences. No way. Not happening.

Actually, I'm being authentic to my own own knowledge, the truth as I see it. If I decide on a case-by-case basis to make an exception for specific individuals who show equal respect for my right to decide for myself 'what' they are, giving them the benefit of MY cognitive dissonance in the process, so be it. But nobody has the right to demand that from me.

Teaching it to them? With few exceptions, we're pretty good at working things out for ourselves when it comes to figuring out other people at a basic level. If someone genuinely 'passes' as the gender they profess to be, there's no issue. If somebody doesn't, it's entirely natural that one will try to figure them out, to get some measure of them. That goes beyond who they are, how they treat other people, whether they're nice or rotten to be around or interact with. It comes down to some pretty base instincts we have, but that's a whole other line of argument/discussion, for another day. Suffice to say that I don't buy into the gender is a social construct arguments. Gender, as most people will see it, is related to physiology and the biological sex of the person in question. In a world where most people conform to particular norms, it's not unreasonable to assume that someone who looks male will be a 'he' and someone who looks female will be a 'she'. If you think that's something that's specifically taught to others, or that the linguistic rules we apply day to day are being weaponised, that's just not so and you need to take a step back and think about what we're being told here.

I won't change the language I use if that change is mandated. It's not about being spiteful and hurtful to anyone. Can that be the consequence or resisting attempts to force me to use a pronoun I do not agree to be valid? Sure, it could be. But if I believe it to be correct then no matter how hurtful that might be to someone, their or anyone elses assertion that I'm misgendering someone deliberately does not automatically imply I'm doing it to cause offense or hurt. It's unintended as such, but entirely unavoidable if someone is to decide they should take is as intended. I can't control that. We take offence, we don't give it.

As opposed to obliging me to speak or write in a manner that undermines my own liberties, adopting terms I simply can't reconcile with my own 'truth', just for the sake of complying with somebody else's need for comfort? If I choose to do that for someone else, that's my decision, but nobody has the right to demand I give that freely to all. Doing so, as is happening here now, is entirely counterproductive. It's getting my back up and I'm sure is a sentiment that is widely shared by anyone who actually stops to think about how this is the thin end of a wedge.
    The trans person experience and identity isn’t important to you because you want to remain comfortable. Their identity is merely an inconvenience you refuse to acknowledge just because of your own inflexibilities.

No, Joey, it's not at all about that. You're trying to make out that somehow people who hold the views I hold are just being obstinate, inconsiderate and inflexible. That's not the case, but if you really believe that, there's little I'll say that will change your mind on this. It's not a helpful position to take if you want discussion on this as all it does is alienate people. I don't know or understand the trans persons experience, their identity is alien to me and no matter how much people will go on about it, I never will. It's not mine, never will be.
    The real struggle in life is your struggle to use different pronouns and you just cant give up on it. You want trans people to be dishonest with you about their life experiences

You need to change that tune if you want engagement on this. I want trans people to be honest with themselves and to life happy lives as they experience it for themselves. I want them to be able to speak and live freely and openly, healthy and happy lives, fulfilled. Brian or Brid, He or She, Jeggings or Ballgown. They shouldn't give two figs what anyone else thinks or says. I want the same for myself and for the people I know and love, trans or not, straight or gay or lesbian or whatever. If a trans person looks at me and thinks I'm a wanker, let them call me 'Wanker Jay', or 'Arsehole Jay', or 'that oul' lad who calls me head the ball'. Whatever. But my words are my words. Let me use them as I please and don't be looking to be offended, just because you think/say/believe you're a she when I happen to see a he.
    You’d prefer that they lied to you, so that you would never be burdened or inconvenienced by their identity or their struggles. What you’re saying is that you’d prefer if they were always dishonest, just to make your life easier.

It doesn't make life easier. Life is what it is. I'm not interested in making other peoples lives easier if it comes at a cost to me, namely the restriction of my ability to express myself honestly, free to use the words I want to use.

I'm going to be blunt here. I've no idea how much of a factor a pronoun has in exposing someone to physical harm. I suspect it's not as much as some would like to think it is. In any case, horrible people will do horrible things to others. That's a wider issue generally and not something that's exclusive to trans persons. While I accept that trans people are victims of violent assault and so on, I don't accept that trans people are put at greater risk just because someone uses a pronoun that contradicts their own preference. I'd expect that the situations where trans people become victims of such crimes in many cases carry a significant element of risk already. I can't be concerned about worldwide incidents of crime in any case as it's not representative of the society we live in here in western europe so if you want to take that discussion further you'd probably need to provide some cold hard figures from a credible source. Otherwise, we're back to horrible people doing horrible things anyway.

We will have to disagree.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Boards is a private website. You are not entitled to post on Boards, we permit it when you join the site as a member. We have rules, we have an ethos and we have a posting standard that as a member your posts should satisfy.

On Boards everyone is entitled to respect.

If you disagree with the rules or the ethos and the idea of being respectful to everyone, there are other websites where you can post your disrespect and diregard but Boards is not the place for it.

We will not allow users to post things like some of the nonsense I have had the misfortune to read on this thread. Referring to other humans as "it" is vile and disgusting and those of you who suggested this or rowed in behind the suggestion should take a long hard look at yourselves. That "level" of discussion is not welcome here.

This thread started out as a complaint about a moderator's on-thread direction but has degenerated into a thread of hate-filled, entitled whining and I've had enough of both reading it and giving it air time. Your discomfort with having to choose an appropriate word to use is nothing in comparison to the pain that reading it will cause a transgender member of the site.

We're as fair as we can be on the site and allow discussions on pretty much anything provided it's not illegal or likely to land us in legal hot water.

Discuss any issues you like provided they are discussed within site rules and the forum charter.

Boards has always been a site of inclusivity and protective of LGBT members as much as possible, this is not new. Therefore when speaking about a trans person specifically, use their preferred pronoun if it's known or a gender neutral one (they/their) if it is not. Deliberately using what the trans person would consider the incorrect pronoun for them is to be considered being a dick in contravention of the site rules.

You are not being asked to change your beliefs or your thoughts, to use pronouns that make you uncomfortable or to stop discussing news items involving transgender people; you are simply being asked to afford a minimum amount of respect to the transgender community as a whole or any transgender individual when talking about them on this site.

Boards is a private website. You are not entitled to post on Boards, we permit it when you join the site as a member. We have rules, we have an ethos and we have a posting standard that as a member your posts should satisfy.

We will not allow users to post things like some of the nonsense I have had the misfortune to read on this thread. Referring to other humans as "it" is vile and disgusting

Agree with all of that. 100%. No complaints about any of it.
    You are not being asked to change your beliefs or your thoughts, to use pronouns that make you uncomfortable or to stop discussing news items involving transgender people; you are simply being asked to afford a minimum amount of respect to the transgender community as a whole or any transgender individual when talking about them on this site.

We're being told, not asked, to use preferred pronouns. Moreover, we're being told that preferred pronouns are undeniably ''correct'' and that's what a large percentage of the userbase seems to take umbrage with. It's the policing of language based on feelings over all else. That's more so the issue.

FWIW, I've generally no issue referring to trans people by their preferred pronouns in person or in casual conversation out of respect and courtesy to them but when debating and discussing things, there should be room for scientific merit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can I ask have trans activities ever threatened to boycott advertisers of boards if you don't respect their demands?
    It's happened on other websites with trans lobby groups, so I assume here as well.

Can I also ask are we the users content providers for a private enterprise or merely users. Don't worry I'm not going legal but I want to establish our position in this business before continuing with this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

This thread started out as a complaint about a moderator's on-thread direction but has degenerated into a thread of hate-filled, entitled whining and I've had enough of both reading it and giving it air time. Your discomfort with having to choose an appropriate word to use is nothing in comparison to the pain that reading it will cause a transgender member of the site.

What's this assertion based on? How do you know what everyone trans-person feels when they see someone being mis-gendered?
    We're as fair as we can be on the site and allow discussions on pretty much anything provided it's not illegal or likely to land us in legal hot water.

So, why can't people misgender JY then? Will it land you in "legal hot water"?
    Discuss any issues you like provided they are discussed within site rules and the forum charter.

Boards has always been a site of inclusivity and protective of LGBT members as much as possible, this is not new. Therefore when speaking about a trans person specifically, use their preferred pronoun if it's known or a gender neutral one (they/their) if it is not. Deliberately using what the trans person would consider the incorrect pronoun for them is to be considered being a dick in contravention of the site rules.

What if it does make a person uncomfortable to use the pronoun she for someone they truly believe to be a he? Where is the respect for them?

Can I ask have trans activities ever threatened to boycott advertisers of boards if you don't respect their demands?

It's happened on other websites with trans lobby groups, so I assume here as well.
    No they haven't.
    Can I also ask are we the users content providers for a private enterprise or merely users. Don't worry I'm not going legal but I want to establish our position in this business before continuing with this post.
    You are users/members of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

What if it does make a person uncomfortable to use the pronoun she for someone they truly believe to be a he? Where is the respect for them?

They can use the pronoun "they" instead.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    What's this assertion based on? How do you know what everyone trans-person feels when they see someone being mis-gendered?
    It is based on the feedback I have received from trans members in the past.
    So, why can't people misgender JY then? Will it land you in "legal hot water"?
    No it is just not the way we want any trans person spoken about on the site as already stated.
    Because we try to respect all members, we won't force you to do anything you are uncomfortable with. You can use they/their as already stated.

It is based on the feedback I have received from trans members in the past.

No it is just not the way we want any trans person spoken about on the site as already stated.

Because we try to respect all members, we won't force you to do anything you are uncomfortable with. You can use they/their as already stated.

You are forcing me to do something I'm uncomfortable with. I don't believe that JY is a female, I don't even believe they are trans. I think to suggest they are is of a huge detriment to the trans-community itself as he is clearly a misogynist and quite potentially a hebephile.

It also makes me uncomfortbale to use they/their as it's an incorrect usage of the English language.

You can have the policies you wish, and force us into using words we'd rather not, it's your perogative, but stop saying you're not forcing me, or anyone else, to do something I'm uncomfortable with, because you are. You are being disingenuous when you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

We are your content providers.
    Don't be shy.

You already have rules in place for abusive posts including referring to other humans as 'it' so I find it disingenuous to make that particular point as major as you did when one maybe two contributors said that.

This particular issue/debate cannot be had honestly ("IMHO") when the fundamental policy of the site is weighted in favour of one side of the argument, that wider society must suspend fact for feelz and forcing contributors to the debate into a corner.

I'd suggest you rename that forum minus the "IMHO" because that is patently not allowed and clarify your forcing of ideological pronouns in your guidelines post.

At least your content providers will know where they stand.

You are forcing me to do something I'm uncomfortable with. I don't believe that JY is a female, I don't even believe they are trans. I think to suggest they are is of a huge detriment to the trans-community itself as he is clearly a misogynist and quite potentially a hebephile.

It also makes me uncomfortbale to use they/their as it's an incorrect usage of the English language.

You can have the policies you wish, and force us into using words we'd rather not, it's your perogative, but stop saying you're not forcing me, or anyone else, to do something I'm uncomfortable with, because you are. You are being disingenuous when you do that.

This is not just about one individual, it is about how trans people are spoken about. You are not being forced to do anything, the option to not post on threads where you might be required to use terminology you are not comfortable with is always available.

This is not just about one individual, it is about how trans people are spoken about. You are not being forced to do anything, the option to not post on threads where you might be required to use terminology you are not comfortable with is always available.

Or to put it another way, I'm being forced to not participate because I can't say what I want, and what is a biological fact.

You keep trying to wriggle out of the fact that you are enforcing people to do things they don't want to do, based on the premise that someone might get offended, which is pretty ridiculous for a discussion board.

Why can't that these supposedly offended trans-people, none of whom have appeared since that JY thread or this one have been created, simply not participate in the thread instead. Why is enforcing an ideological slant the better option?

Would it not be better to have that policy and apply it to forums other that IMHO, as it defeats the purpose of the forum if you can't give you're honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nulu5

For all this talk of so called " misgendering " does that also equally apply to trans members not to misgender biologically born males/females as cis man or cis woman ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

In what way?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Personally I am all about inclusivity and would be quite happy to call anyone whatever they wished. I would even back someone up if someone else was being rude to them.
    That said I respect other people's right to have an opinion that is different to mine and I am happy to engage them in debate. This policy restricts that as it forces people to use words that they don't wish to or believe in.
    I don't come here to listen to an echo chamber and I think everyones opinion should be welcomed regardless of how that makes me 'feel'. It is by listening to alternative opinions that you learn.

This is a major error of judgement in my opinion. I can see it is not going to change but I think people's opinions should be respected.

There are a tonne of pronouns coming from US college campuses that I fear are the next logical step to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

People in this, and other threads, have stated they're uncomfortable being labeled cisgendered. Is this going to be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Same as Trans people are not forced to read certain topics ... The option not to read threads where terminology is used you are not comfortable with is always available. ...... simples

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Would it not be better to have that policy and apply it to forums other that IMHO, as it defeats the purpose of the forum if you can't give you're honest opinion.

As Niamh said, Boards is a private website, so not all honest opinions are still allowed to be posted (as the FAQ says, there is "no 'right' to freedom of speech"). The terms of the charter still state to be civil and respectful and it has been determined and pointed out that misgendering is neither.
    Nulu5 wrote: »
    For all this talk of so called " misgendering " does that also equally apply to trans members not to misgender biologically born males/females as cis man or cis woman ?

This isn't what misgendering is. I was born a male, I identify as a male, therefore my identity and my gender correspond with my birth sex, i.e. I am a cis male.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This policy restricts that as it forces people to use words that they don't wish to or believe in.

Users are still able to use "they". To use me as an example again, you don't have to say, "Did you see what he wrote?" You can say, "Did you see what they/Mark/M/the community manager wrote?" for example.
    derfderf wrote: »
    People in this, and other threads, have stated they're uncomfortable being labeled cisgendered. Is this going to be banned?

Not that I can imagine. Users are welcome to raise issues with terminology, it can be discussed, and we can make a decision about it. There are no plans to ban the use of "cisgender."

The terms of the charter still state to be civil and respectful and it has been determined and pointed out that misgendering is neither.

Many would see some irony in this, which is the point.
    I was born a male, I identify as a male, therefore my identity and my gender correspond with my birth sex, i.e. I am a cis male.

Or, just male. You're male. I don't identify as male. I just am male. I wasn't assigned anything, I just am.
    Not that I can imagine. Users are welcome to raise issues with terminology, it can be discussed, and we can make a decision about it. There are no plans to ban the use of "cisgender."

I don't think it should be banned as I don't even recognise it but if it makes people who don't ''identify'' as cis uneasy/offended then there's hypocrisy at play.

This isn't what misgendering is. I was born a male, I identify as a male, therefore my identity and my gender correspond with my birth sex, i.e. I am a cis male.

No Mark your a male, you don't need to claim your a cismale. In the Transworld the slang for people who identify as their biological gender i.e male or female is Cissys. You may be comfortable with the term but i and far from comfortable with being referred to as a Cis person.

The use of the word cis should be banned on boards period it offends way too many people.

Why can't that these supposedly offended trans-people, none of whom have appeared since that JY thread or this one have been created, simply not participate in the thread instead. Why is enforcing an ideological slant the better option?
    How do you know that no trans people have appeared or read it? They are unlikely to make themselves known given some of the attitudes in this thread, particularly ones like I have quoted above.

You genuinely want us to ban trans people from participating in threads discussing a trans issue so that you can comfortably post however you like?! The lack of self-awareness is incredible.

I suggest you take your own advice and simply not post in the thread(s) instead.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Many would see some irony in this, which is the point.

Or, just male. You're male. I don't identify as male. I just am male. I wasn't assigned anything, I just am.

I don't think it should be banned as I don't even recognise it but if it makes people who don't ''identify'' as cis uneasy/offended then there's hypocrisy at play.

If someone starts to refer to your personally as a cis male and you ask them not to but they continue, feel free to report it.
    No Mark your a male, you don't need to claim your a cismale. In the Transworld the slang for people who identify as their biological gender i.e male or female is Cissys. You may be comfortable with the term but i and far from comfortable with being referred to as a Cis person.

The use of the word cis should be banned on boards period it offends way too many people.
    If someone refers to you in a post as a cissy (or as above) report it to the mods please.

• Advertisement

This is not just about one individual, it is about how trans people are spoken about.

Niamh some transpeople want to be called by their biological sex, how are we meant to tell the difference up here in the cloud?
    There's pandering going on to a small subsection of the trans community here, how can we respect boards policy and the rights of the transcircumgenders. They don't want to be called they, if they were born a she they wish to be referred to as a she.
    There are a marginalised group within the Trans community and deserve boards support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement