Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merchants Quay Dublin Injection Center Rejected

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

source.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

14dMoney wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/injecting-centre-3-4741248-Jul2019/

Definitely a victory for the locals of the area. However the usual shower of bleeding-heart hug-a-thug brigades from the leafy suburbs are already up in arms about this.

736 deaths last year ! Jays I didn't realise it was that high

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

"DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL has refused planning permission for Ireland’s first supervised injecting facility, saying that opening it would be bad for the area and bad for tourism in the capital. "

Because having them injecting on the streets in full view of tourists is grand.

Idiots running the show in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    "DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL has refused planning permission for Ireland’s first supervised injecting facility, saying that opening it would be bad for the area and bad for tourism in the capital. "

Because having them injecting on the streets in full view of tourists is grand.

Idiots running the show in this country.

I don't see how it would be bad for the area at all. The place is already full of junkies dealing and consuming openly on the street just outside.

I'd love to know how someone thought that keeping them more out of the way could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't see how it would be bad for the area at all. The place is already full of junkies dealing and consuming openly on the street just outside.

I'd love to know how someone thought that keeping them more out of the way could be worse.

causes more of them to congregate there, invites dealers in and with supervised injecting centres it lessens the opportunity for gardai to arrest them for possession

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

There are drug dealers hanging out near to such clinics ready to sell to the junkies which brings the anti-social element of that with it. No one wants the undead wandering around near where they live, commute, interact, work etc. Measures such as an injection centre are the equivalent of banning plastic straws to protect the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

And having used needles lying about waiting for people to get stuck by them is better? Having to spend a gear getting hiv tests in constant worry? People will inject themselves, people will sell it there is too much money in it. The Philippines shows that even the threat of summary execution won't solve the problem. The US shows even tough on crime 3 strikes rules won't solve it.
    We need to follow the example of cou tries that have treated addiction as a health problem rather than a criminal one. Elimate the profit from drugs and the criminals will give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

They have a valid point. The NTA had to move the bus stop from merchants quay down a few doors because ordinary folks commuting to/from work were being hassled and attacked. Rather than lock the assailants up the tax payer has to move the bus stop and ordinary folks have to move. We're a disgrace of a country at enforcing law and order, a supervised injection centre would attract greater numbers of undesireables and there is no plan as to how that will be managed.

I think that if we're going to build these kind of places they should be in the vacant parts of suburban industrial estates and they should provide their own security. If the have to be located in central areas then there needs to be top class management and security available. Merchants quay is unwalkable at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

caff wrote: »
    And having used needles lying about waiting for people to get stuck by them is better? Having to spend a gear getting hiv tests in constant worry? People will inject themselves, people will sell it there is too much money in it. The Philippines shows that even the threat of summary execution won't solve the problem. The US shows even tough on crime 3 strikes rules won't solve it.
    We need to follow the example of cou tries that have treated addiction as a health problem rather than a criminal one. Elimate the profit from drugs and the criminals will give up.

Having no junkies harassing tourists is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Having no junkies harassing tourists is better.

Whatever that entails, I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Whatever that entails, I'm all for it.

A few bad batches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Merchants Quay Injection Center

Welcome to Merchants Quay Injection Center situated in the heart of Ireland's capital city!

Conveniently located within a short distance of Dublin's world renowned 'boardwalk' take some time out to relax and soak up the unique atmosphere that makes Dublin city center the top destination for those who like to indulge.

There's plenty to do that doesn't cost the earth. Harass the locals! Sent them on a guilt trip! Or even take some time out and sit on Dublin's famous ha'penny bridge and make a little extra cash.

NOTICE: THIS OFFICE IS NOW CLOSED DUE TO AN OUTBREAK OF COMMON SENSE IN DUBLIN CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Definitely a victory for the locals of the area. However the usual shower of bleeding-heart hug-a-thug brigades from the leafy suburbs are already up in arms about this.

Bit like Pat Kenny complaining about the lack of houses.Yet as soon as someone tried to build some apartments beside his leafy mansion he is the first to object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

cjmc wrote: »
    736 deaths last year ! Jays I didn't realise it was that high

Pity wasn't higher than there be no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

caff wrote: »
    The Philippines shows that even the threat of summary execution won't solve the problem.

It works in Singapore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

cgcsb wrote: »
    They have a valid point. The NTA had to move the bus stop from merchants quay down a few doors because ordinary folks commuting to/from work were being hassled and attacked. Rather than lock the assailants up the tax payer has to move the bus stop and ordinary folks have to move. We're a disgrace of a country at enforcing law and order, a supervised injection centre would attract greater numbers of undesireables and there is no plan as to how that will be managed.

I think that if we're going to build these kind of places they should be in the vacant parts of suburban industrial estates and they should provide their own security. If the have to be located in central areas then there needs to be top class management and security available. Merchants quay is unwalkable at present.

I noticed that about the bus stop too. Agree with you about the fact that law abiding citizens going about their business were discommoded. But hey, MQI should never have been given pp for that centre in the first place. It is quite grim around there, but starts at Aston Quay and meanders up to MQI. A known route for the clients.

Look, the city is awash with dealing, strung outs, junkies, crime, begging and so on. It is just so depressing. I know I might sound very superior and judgmental, but so be it. Those who work and pay their taxes deserve a pleasant city, one that we contribute towards. The tourists come second IMV, but are nevertheless important also.

If something is not done soon, Dublin city centre will have gone past the point of no return. That is not fair on ordinary citizens.

Location of such centres should be elsewhere off the beaten track. Doesn't have to be out in the sticks, but honestly, someone, somewhere must have a plan before this gets out of hand altogether.

The bleeding hearts can feck off and unless they experience it on a daily basis can shut the fek up too and put a treatment/injection centre in their own back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I live around the corner and the dealers have already moved in, they sell the wears openly in broad daylight with flagrant disregard for anyone watching. Adding an injection centre would have done diddly squat to increase their number or alter their attitude.

I wonder does MQI CEO Paula Byrne, live anywhere near a treatment centre in Dublin?

That should be a prerequisite for appointment to such a role ;)

I'm not looking for her actual address, but it should be stated by all of these bleeding hearts that they live in X, Y, or Z in Dublin.

And then stop preaching. There is NOTHING wrong with assisting addicts, it is the LOCATION of such centres that is the absolute problem. I don't think they see this quite frankly, but just bemoan the fact that the rest of us just do not like the mayhem caused by treatment centre clients in the middle of the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

causes more of them to congregate there, invites dealers in and with supervised injecting centres it lessens the opportunity for gardai to arrest them for possession

More of them? The street outside is already full of these wasters openly selling, consuming, defecating and discarding nasty waste. The dealers are already there. These places are already congregation centres for dealers and junkies.

The Gárda know what's going on there because they are often being called to the area. If they wanted to arrest a bunch of them for possession, they would do so but they don't. I can't really blame them because arresting a junkie for possession is pointless in this country.

I'm still not convinced that injection facilities would cause any of the problems that you are describing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A multi pronged approach is needed. One central supervised injection centre is a disaster, it'll bring every walker in Ireland to one spot and the same spot that is densely populated with normal folks, and there is presently no police force in this country and no competent judiciary or functioning prison/rehabilitation system.

The whole thing is broken. Prisons and rehabilitation should be invested in, and adequate spaces provided. Crimes should receive punishments, no suspending sentences because we've nowhere to put people. Injection centres (more than one of them) should be in peripheral parts of urban areas that are otherwise lightly used and should be secure places. There should be police on the streets, at least in the main cities, all the time, they shouldn't be in the office falsifying things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

I live around the corner and the dealers have already moved in, they sell the wears openly in broad daylight with flagrant disregard for anyone watching. Adding an injection centre would have done diddly squat to increase their number or alter their attitude.

They havent only moved in they have been dealing on that stretch of the quays for donkeys years.

For once DCC had cojones. I don't rate them much on everything else mind.

Time for ordinary people to fight back against the invasion of our city with these people. Looking after junkies is fine and noble (and possibly lucrative for the charities too), but LOCATION is the key. Somewhere that does not annoy anyone would be good. Maybe next door to those who think it's ok to deal openly and fight and so on the street would be a good start. lol

I don't know how we can do that, and I am sure many do gooders will disagree with me, but the city centre is a cesspit now.

I dunno, I love my city, but I don't like it much at the moment. I haven't got a say anymore really. That's the problem. Things just happen and I and many others have to put up with it.

I wish it was different, but it's not.

An Bord Pleanala will approve it I suppose on appeal.

For the first time in my life I would support crowdfunding to fight it in the High Court. But hopefully it won't get that far.

Time to fight back, and put money where our mouths are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Could we not put them all on an island with an injection centre or something. Why does the city centre have to suffer all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've mixed feelings about this. I would have been good for the people using the service and might have taken some of them off the streets and in the long term help them to recover.

On the other hand it encourages them to congregate in one place and there are already too many similar services in the city and few to none in the suburbs.

MQI probably do some good work but they bring so much hastle to the area and treat the public with contempt. I was on a bus outside a few years ago and a woman getting on or off the bus was attacked by 2 junkies from MQI, and guess what the MQI staff did, not try to help the person but locked the doors and just looked out at the woman being beaten up by their service users. One of them might have called the guards, but that's no good in rush hour traffic. The staff in MQI need to take a responsibility for the people that attract to the area. Whether that is the actually people working/volunteering there or a robust security team, but they can't just create voilence in the area and take no responsibility for it.

Could we not put them all on an island with an injection centre or something. Why does the city centre have to suffer all the time.

Those who decide on the outcome rarely live close by, or even come out of their bunker to experience it first hand like the rest of us.

DCC have done some service to Dublin today. A lot done, more to do I reckon. A lot more.

But it's a start. Hopefully in the right direction.

Take our City Back now for all of us, not just the scumbags who get away with everything. Try parking your car on the Quays over the allotted time. Get the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Drug taking is just so open in the city centre now. I am usually in the city centre round 8.30am every morning and even in the last few weeks I've seen guys pulling the bands round their arms getting ready to inject twice in the little street between Pennies and GPO and another guy in another corner off O Connell St with his trousers down, pulling the band thing around his upper thigh. And certain mornings when they are collecting their dole money, they are openly dealing little packets of whatever within the GPO. For that reason I think injection centres are needed but then on the other hand too many addicts in the one area would be a nightmare too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

One idea would be to hire the Vernon C. Bain Correctional Center (from NYC), with space for a few thousand, and anchor the 'large barge' on the Liffey.
    KUg9DTm.png

Close to the city, but also self-enclosed. Thus the opportunity for treatment, correctional programs, and behavioural change opportunities. All aboard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is it though? It’s clear that there is already a significant amount of on-street/down back alley in the other immediate vicinity of the proposed centre. While I agree that the proposed centre might have anchored it there, no action is being taken to drive away the on-street activity which is probably worse for residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Interesting to hear that from a resident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thank fook, real solutions need to be put in place like to lock these scrotes up for 3 months with nothing but bread and beans to eat to detoxify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

DCC refused it because it’s on their doorstep - they’re looking after themselves as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

14dMoney wrote:

According to boards i'm a bleeding heart conservative tree hugging nazi feminist xenophobic chauvinist liberal. It's really hard keeping up.

Why is it not ok to have an opinion or idea without being labelled something?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

the people shooting up already are there because of the reckless concentration of methadone clinics homeless shelters and the merchant quay center in our city center we need to take our city back....
    Those who support wouldn't have them near them so they are hypocrites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

^^ This.

The problem exists already. Merchants Quay Island is already out the doors with their services. Providing this would in no way negatively influence the location, but rather improve it.

Dealers would still congregate there, but that's happening regardless of whether people are using safely inside or unsafely outside. Dealers don't care where or how someone uses, as long as they make a sale.

Safer use facilities will reduce discarded needles and risk of needle stick injuries, because its a much nicer proposition to use your wares safely in a nice room, with sterile new equipment, and dispose of it safely than to shoot up in an alleyway with your mate's dirty used needle.

As for locating it in these industrial estates outside the city... Why do you think a drug user would go to the effort to travel there? They live city centre because there are more services, more opportunities for begging, free food, free medical services, etc. Do you really think they'll get a bus to an industrial estate to use? This facility needs to be city centre based, and MQI has the facilities and culture to facilitate it efficiently.

Drug use is real. It's happening and I've worked with it on the front line first hand for a few years now.

We as a society can either stick our heads in the sand and whine about it, or we can act like adults and try to fix the issue.
    This isn't going to fix it, but it might buy some people a little time to potentially get themselves together, rather than dying of an OD down an alley, contracting HIV themselves, or using in the city and leaving a dirty needle around for your child or you to accidentally get jabbed with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Residents of D8 have supported this as a way to harm reduce in the area and keep addicts off the streets.

Residents of D8 have supported this as a way to harm reduce in the area and keep addicts off the streets.
    welcome to boards i can tell they do NOT support this
    the reckless concentration of methadone clinics homeless shelters and the merchant quay center in our city center we need to take our city back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Nobody even lives near or certainly not beside the location. The nearest apartments are Nowhere near it.
    This was a stupid decision.

Let it continue staging the city Center down rather than containing it.

Typically stupid decision from the council

Nobody even lives near or certainly not beside the location. The nearest apartments are Nowhere near it.

I Live on cook street directly behind the entrance to the center. We have posters up in support of this around our flats. Never mind what people are saying here about reisdents being against it. We voted 1350/875 in favour.

• Advertisement

welcome to boards i can tell they do NOT support this
    the reckless concentration of methadone clinics homeless shelters and the merchant quay center in our city center we need to take our city back....

Nice try but your talking ****e. I'm from C. street flats

ok show the supported link

ok show the supported link

What supported link drive by the flats you will see the posters of support there is one in between the flats and school. You tried to paint a narrative that you were a local you aren't , locals met Tony geighan regarding this for years represented by a number of political parties also.

What supported link drive by the flats you will see the posters of support there is one in between the flats and school. You tried to paint a narrative that you were a local you aren't , locals met Tony geighan regarding this for years represented by a number of political parties also.

Don’t even bother. I’m on arran quay and know it’s the sensible option and best option for the city and it affects nobody.

Other than ourselves Not one person here has anything to lose or gain by complaining.

They just like complaining.
    Ignore it.

Don’t even bother. I’m on arran quay and know it’s the sensible option and best option for the city and it affects nobody.

Other than ourselves Not one person here has anything to lose or gain by complaining.

They just like complaining.
    Ignore it.

Big time it will clear up those using around our complex and at the front of maechants quay & riverbank house , it will be safer for everyone involved and it will show we still have some empathy.
    I have no doubt this will get the go ahead eventually

^^ This.

The problem exists already. Merchants Quay Island is already out the doors with their services. Providing this would in no way negatively influence the location, but rather improve it.

Dealers would still congregate there, but that's happening regardless of whether people are using safely inside or unsafely outside. Dealers don't care where or how someone uses, as long as they make a sale.

Safer use facilities will reduce discarded needles and risk of needle stick injuries, because its a much nicer proposition to use your wares safely in a nice room, with sterile new equipment, and dispose of it safely than to shoot up in an alleyway with your mate's dirty used needle.

As for locating it in these industrial estates outside the city... Why do you think a drug user would go to the effort to travel there? They live city centre because there are more services, more opportunities for begging, free food, free medical services, etc. Do you really think they'll get a bus to an industrial estate to use? This facility needs to be city centre based, and MQI has the facilities and culture to facilitate it efficiently.

Drug use is real. It's happening and I've worked with it on the front line first hand for a few years now.

We as a society can either stick our heads in the sand and whine about it, or we can act like adults and try to fix the issue.
    This isn't going to fix it, but it might buy some people a little time to potentially get themselves together, rather than dying of an OD down an alley, contracting HIV themselves, or using in the city and leaving a dirty needle around for your child or you to accidentally get jabbed with.

I've mixed feelings about it but you make some very good and valid points.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I've mixed feelings about it but you make some very good and valid points.

Simple question.

Is it better to contain this in one place a good distance outside the Center of town or let it run rampant around all parts of the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No but there's a school next door though.

Simple question.

Is it better to contain this in one place a good distance outside the Center of town or let it run rampant around all parts of the city?

I guess it's like the previous poster said - why would the addicts bother going out to the outskirts. They are happy enough down an alley in the city centre. But like everyone else I would prefer never having to see it.

No but there's a school next door though.

There isn’t though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement