Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merchants Quay Dublin Injection Center Rejected

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I guess it's like the previous poster said - why would the addicts bother going out to the outskirts. They are happy enough down an alley in the city centre. But like everyone else I would prefer never having to see it.

I agree. So let’s contain it. And the try help them out if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I agree. So let’s contain it. And the try help them out if it.

On balance I think I agree with that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    "DUBLIN CITY COUNCIL has refused planning permission for Ireland’s first supervised injecting facility, saying that opening it would be bad for the area and bad for tourism in the capital. "

Because having them injecting on the streets in full view of tourists is grand.

Idiots running the show in this country.

No injection anywhere. Why have we become a nation of enablers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

cjmc wrote: »
    736 deaths last year ! Jays I didn't realise it was that high

Yeah you would be surprised but where do you think universities and medical companies get bodies to play with? Who would have thought Heroin would be a killer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would mobile units be a compromise I wonder? Visiting high drug use areas every day. The word will get out though and I suppose objections will fly in or something.

It's a difficult issue, but I am sticking by my guns. The location of MQI at the moment is bad enough, but add in an injection centre and dealing outside all day long, possible overdosing and dying on the street outside, around the corner from Christchurch, opposite the Four Courts, on a narrow enough footpath on the very busy South Quays is not on.

There has to be a better solution. Oh and I would move the drug treatment centres out of the city centre areas too. There are far too many of them in a concentrated area and the citizens are expected just to put up with the mayhem they cause. Nope. Treat them, I'm paying for it anyway, but get a plan in place that suits all of us.

Would mobile units be a compromise I wonder? Visiting high drug use areas every day. The word will get out though and I suppose objections will fly in or something.

It's a difficult issue, but I am sticking by my guns. The location of MQI at the moment is bad enough, but add in an injection centre and dealing outside all day long, possible overdosing and dying on the street outside, around the corner from Christchurch, opposite the Four Courts, on a narrow enough footpath on the very busy South Quays is not on.

There has to be a better solution. Oh and I would move the drug treatment centres out of the city centre areas too. There are far too many of them in a concentrated area and the citizens are expected just to put up with the mayhem they cause. Nope. Treat them, I'm paying for it anyway, but get a plan in place that suits all of us.

The only solution I could think of is sending them to Junkie camps in the Dublin mountains and let them dose themselves to death. There is no point in throwing good money after bad and trying to get them off it when they have no intention of it. All we can do is focus on the youth with after hours homework clubs and weekend sports.

Once the needle goes in the soul goes out.

The only solution I could think of is sending them to Junkie camps in the Dublin mountains and let them dose themselves to death. There is no point in throwing good money after bad and trying to get them off it when they have no intention of it. All we can do is focus on the youth with after hours homework clubs and weekend sports.

Quite a sad, but true statement.

Look I am not a hard hearted person, but the point of no return is approaching and addicts will take over our city. They are nearly there as it is.

I don't know what the solution is, I don't think anyone does dozens of years down the road either. But one thing I am sure of, treatment facilities should NOT be anywhere near the city centre. I know that many addicts come from inner city complexes and so on, but I doubt they ALL do. Red Line Luas will tell you all you need to know about that one.

It's a tough call, but citizens have a right to a pleasant environment in their city too don't they?

It's a tough call, but citizens have a right to a pleasant environment in their city too don't they?

How much money do we spend on education ....."Dont do drugs, cannabis is a gateway drug, You will die on heroin".

If you arent smart enough to pick up on this stuff you arent smart enough to live. Saying that a few of my classmates from school (havent seen them in 30 years) are after suddenly dying. These lads were life and souls of the party. Absolute assholes in real life at school. Teachers never missed them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

People get through it though and come out the other side.
    The soul must stay intact somewhere during it. There's always hope.

Fair play to the people who do such work, it can't be easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

hetuzozaho wrote: »

A tiny amount get through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't blame any individual or company who doesn't want a shooting gallery anywhere near them, I wouldn't be mad on a homeless hostel next door to my place either...
    But there going to need to go somewhere, which isn't easy..
    How about access via mini bus only, the centre could be anywhere around Dublin, a minibus could do pick ups, and drop offs in the certain spots, drive through a gate, avoids junkies or dealers hanging around...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

lawlolawl wrote: »

What are the percentages out of interest?

The soul must stay intact somewhere during it. There's always hope.

Fair play to the people who do such work, it can't be easy!

At what cost? I cannot get a metric from any health professional.
    "its very vague and what you consider success?"
    I consider success the same metric as the Rehab industries, out into the workforce with ya and start contributing to society.

Once again all very very vague. It cost a fortune while the money would be better spent on homework clubs and weekend sports

At what cost?

No idea sorry, was just responding to you saying once it's started it's over. Not the case always is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Markcheese wrote: »
    I don't blame any individual or company who doesn't want a shooting gallery anywhere near them, I wouldn't be mad on a homeless hostel next door to my place either...
    But there going to need to go somewhere, which isn't easy..
    How about access via mini bus only, the centre could be anywhere around Dublin, a minibus could do pick ups, and drop offs in the certain spots, drive through a gate, avoids junkies or dealers hanging around...

Send them all to the Aran Islands and let them build their own little junkie civilization. We shouldn't have to put up with this scourge.

14dMoney wrote: »
    Send them all to the Aran Islands and let them build their own little junkie civilization. We shouldn't have to put up with this scourge.

Would the Aran Islands not pose the same problem you're complaining about? haha

No idea sorry, was just responding to you saying once it's started it's over. Not the case always is all.

Well I can tell you psychotherapy 10 years ago was billed to the HSE as €80 an hour. €80 an hour would rent and heat and insure and pay a supervisor for a homework club for the night (2 hours) for 20 students!!! Now that is money well spent.
    What about the cost of these dirty fuppers and their syringes, crapping in door ways? I feel sick just typing about it!!!!

Would the Aran Islands not pose the same problem you're complaining about? haha

Can we just come to an agreement that nobody wants them on their door step literally?!??!?

I don't think Aran Islanders would agree :rolleyes: But Dublin citizens must agree of course, they have had no choice up to now. This is the first time I have heard of planning permission being required for a treatment centre.

I know it is a medically serviced injection centre, but still, all the treatment centres with the resulting mayhem just happened AFAIS and we are left with the aftermath.

Treatment centres are all around the city and in the tourist heartlands too. I put citizens first, and visitors second. We deserve a pleasant environment. We are paying for it all. But few are listening.

Treatment and injection centres are not location dependent really if the will was there to sort it out.

• Advertisement

Well I can tell you

I never asked though? Maybe a bit of a mix up.

Can we just come to an agreement that nobody wants them on their door step literally?!??!?

Can we agree there's lots of things we don't want on our doorstep, but unfortunately living in a society involves dealing with the issues that living in a society brings.

Realistically, with the best will in the world, who would?

I bet the CEO of MQI and many others blathering on in favour of this don't live anywhere near it either. That kind of gets my blood up to be honest.

Easy to preach from afar isn't it?

Ever seen the movie "Adam and Paul"? It is horribly depressing. Its about two best friends on a type of "Homers Odyssey" around Dublin. They have been best friends since they were kids and did everything together.

To cut a long story short..... One of them overdoses and the other rather than get help or alert someone ...... goes through his coat with him just barely cold to find some hidden Heroin.

Can we agree there's lots of things we don't want on our doorstep, but unfortunately living in a society involves dealing with the issues that living in a society brings.

This problem wasnt here in this volume 30, 20 or even 5 years ago. There are certain things in society we can make allowances for and then there are somethings that are unacceptable. You make a choice to take heroin, you are responsible for that siht, it is of you own free will.

Ever seen the movie "Adam and Paul"? It is horribly depressing.

I've seen it yes. I love Mark O'Halloran's latest work with Shane Meadows too actually. Very moving stuff indeed. Addiction is such an awful thing.

Spoiler tags though! Someone might want to watch it.

Realistically, with the best will in the world, who would?

I bet the CEO of MQI and many others blathering on in favour of this don't live anywhere near it either. That kind of gets my blood up to be honest.

Easy to preach from afar isn't it?

Actually I live in a nice upper working class, lower middle class private housing estate. Certain elements have arrived from Dublin. The "soldiers" are handing out "samples" to the teenagers. I dread to think what the estate will be like in 10 years time. I know I will be gone by then.

You make a choice to take heroin, you are responsible for that siht, it is of you own free will.

I would be of the opinion that it's a bit more nuanced than that, unfortunately.

Actually I live in a nice upper working class, lower middle class private housing estate. Certain elements have arrived from Dublin. The "soldiers" are handing out "samples" to the teenagers. I dread to think what the estate will be like in 10 years time. I know I will be gone by then.

Parental supervision is the key. Know where your kids are and who they are with. Surely most parents care about their kids. But I suppose once they are over 18 anything goes really, that is frightening.

Sorry to hear of this happening where you are, but it is absolutely everywhere now. Even on the Aran Islands ;) Sadly.

Parental supervision is the key. Know where your kids are and who they are with. Surely most parents care about their kids. But I suppose once they are over 18 anything goes really, that is frightening.

Sorry to hear of this happening where you are, but it is absolutely everywhere now. Even on the Aran Islands ;) Sadly.

Happens younger than that, its open season on teenagers in my estate. I saw a disgarded needle the other day.

Bloody seals shooting up on the Aran Islands? I knew those big glossy eyes were too good to be true.

• Advertisement

I've seen it yes. I love Mark O'Halloran's latest work with Shane Meadows too actually. Very moving stuff indeed. Addiction is such an awful thing.

Spoiler tags though! Someone might want to watch it.

Ahh All junkies end up in the same place, some just get there faster than others

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

I would be of the opinion that it's a bit more nuanced than that, unfortunately.

In this age, with all the information readily available, anybody who takes heroin is a weak, degenerate loser.

Ahh All junkies end up in the same place, some just get there faster than others

You mean the same place we all end up?

Or you mean they never recover - because we've been through this I felt?

Or you mean they never recover

thats a Bingo on both!

In this age, with all the information readily available, anybody who takes heroin is a weak, degenerate loser.

And the lights are burning brightly for the masses!!!

thats a Bingo on both!

Nope.

Anyway I see you thanked the "degenerate loser" post. I will leave you to it. Have a nice evening.

Nope.

Anyway I see you thanked the "degenerate loser" post. I will leave you to it. Have a nice evening.

Well itsnt like they were going to ever find a cure for cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well it'd have to be another island cos the local population already have a tourist industry, the plus side is though the smaller and craggyer the island is, the higher the "natural wastage" levels would be among junkie residents...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well it'd have to be another island cos the local population already have a tourist industry, the plus side is though the smaller and craggyer the island is, the higher the "natural wastage" levels would be among junkie residents...

May I suggest Rockall? unpolluted, fresh air, undisturbed by post modern architecture. Just get the Air Corps to literally drop them off there twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lawlolawl wrote: »

stats?

Graces7 wrote: »
    stats?

You have to remember this report is based on the ones that go for treatment.

"Following discharge 103 (94%) of the 109 patients interviewed reported
    a lapse,"

What about the ones that dont go for treatment? They dont even bother.
    "Of the 160 patients who were admitted to Cuan Dara during the study
    period, 149 were eligible to participate in the study, the remaining
    eleven being admitted to stabilise on methadone. Of the 149 patients,
    five patients died during the follow-up period and thirty-five could
    not be traced. We interviewed 109 (76%) of those who were still alive"

https://www.lenus.ie/bitstream/handle/10147/110022/Article5260.pdf;jsessionid=FE1920F6E4FEA3D36D3E376D50B74B9A?sequence=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

cjmc wrote: »
    736 deaths last year ! Jays I didn't realise it was that high
    That is horrendous!

May I suggest Rockall? unpolluted, fresh air, undisturbed by post modern architecture. Just get the Air Corps to literally drop them off there twice a week.

Given your.... problems.. with these folk, ( and we have talked on this before) Rockall is somewhere you might find peace and be happy.

mad muffin wrote: »
    No injection anywhere. Why have we become a nation of enablers?

It works in other countries eg Canada, these sites work

https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/canadas-first-safe-injection-site-struggles-with-the-rise-of-fentanyl/

getting clear is not easy and keeping folk safe from themselves and from others is right and good.

It is not "enabling" but damage limitation and winning trust from addicts without which they will never have any hope

The folk running these centres and places like White oak in Donegal, believe this . So do many of us.

Given your.... problems.. with these folk, ( and we have talked on this before) Rockall is somewhere you might find peace and be happy.

The major difference between me and them is, I am not taking harmful illegal drugs and leaving the needles and syringes for all and sundry to find, with no intention to get off social welfare and being a general blight on the landscape.

• Advertisement

I think this might be the solution for people who don't want to be around societies problems, and people do this and are quite happy for it.

I think this might be the solution for people who don't want to be around societies problems, and people do this and are quite happy for it.

I am not the problem. I am a law abiding citizen. We need to stop enabling this pathetic behaviour. Most people are not happy with junkies...*shudders*. We are sick of their dirty behaviour.

Why do I have to move? When I have settled in my community and am making contributions to society and working in gainful employment and trying to improve my property and then Junkies start invading the town spreading their poison and bringing down the community. Shouldnt we resist this behaviour?

Dont we have the right to protect our youth and property from this plague of zombies?

Most people are not happy with junkies

Ah I'm probably a bit bias with addicts, I've always loved a lot of their work, starting with my childhood hero Slash back '88.

Some great people became addicts and kicked it. Fair play to people who help them through it.

Ah I'm probably a bit bias with addicts, I've always loved a lot of their work, starting with my childhood hero Slash back '88.

Some great people became addicts and kicked it. Fair play to people who help them through it.

Yeah I love fairy tales too ..... back to the real world. They are filthy and disease ridden and blight on society.

• Advertisement
Advertisement