Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 126km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

glasso wrote: »
    I mean that landslide shown was not actually remotely dangerous. This is France, not Bolivia, so the roads are actually not situated in precarious situations in 2019.

and the road was fine on the descent which would have been the dangerous part.

nobody is going to get seriously hurt in any way slogging uphill through a bit of slush.

Absolute nonsense. This is the alps not Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's the profile for tomorrow's stage, much chance for change at the top of the GC?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

letape wrote: »

it's a road at 1600 to 2000m , not the north face of Mont-Blanc

balderdash.

Wiggins went through it and said that it was only badish / snowy for a few hundred metres really.

and that was on the flat / very start of Tignes climb

I stand by saying that it would have been fecking brilliant instead of this anti-climatic deflation feeling.

2e291_670.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sadly it has kind of gift wrapped the Tour for Bernal, would have been much more interesting had it played out on the final slope up to Tignes! Hard to see beyond #1 Bernal #2 Thomas #3 Kruijswijk, Buchmann or Alaphilippe after tomorrow.

1 Egan Bernal (Col) Team Ineos
    2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck-QuickStep 00:00:45
    3 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Ineos 00:01:03
    4 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Jumbo-Visma 00:01:15
    5 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 00:01:42

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Don't know if ja has anything left in the tank. But let's hope he attacks on a decent and goes for broke tomorrow

Don't know if ja has anything left in the tank. But let's hope he attacks on a decent and goes for broke tomorrow

hope I'm wrong but likely any sniff with be closed down by skinnyos and it will play out a totally boring stage.

Its the long final climb with no chance of pulling back time on a descent that will put paid to JA you'd feel!

edb3e

The bookies think its a done deal at this point, hard to disagree:

D3WBBQQ.png

He'd have to do a Landis / Giro Froome!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

letape wrote: »

balderdash.

Wiggins went through it and said that it was only badish / snowy for a few hundred metres really.

and that was on the flat / very start of Tignes climb

I stand by saying that it would have been fecking brilliant instead of this anti-climatic deflation feeling.

2e291_670.jpg
    Well you wouldn't have seen any of it on TV as the camera bikes wouldn't have got through. Then when everyone gets a puncture 100m further up the road there would be no team cars there with new wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

balderdash.

Is there some part of "landslide" that you are misunderstanding? :D

It's not wacky races.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sadly it has kind of gift wrapped the Tour for Bernal, would have been much more interesting had it played out on the final slope up to Tignes! Hard to see beyond #1 Bernal #2 Thomas #3 Kruijswijk, Buchmann or Alaphilippe after tomorrow.

1 Egan Bernal (Col) Team Ineos
    2 Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck-QuickStep 00:00:45
    3 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Ineos 00:01:03
    4 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Jumbo-Visma 00:01:15
    5 Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe 00:01:42

The pessimist in me thinks the following for tomorrow:

JA probably has nothing left in the tank (when going uphill)
    Thomas won't be able to attack because of team orders
    Kruijswijk doesn't seem to want to attack at all
    Buchmann will only be aiming for a podium spot

Lumen wrote: »

It's not wacky races.

could have waded through a bit of muck - did you actually see it? - it was not the explosion of Mount Etna.

bit of muck goes across the road on an innocuous flat section- they probably could have walked around it to the right.

looked pretty tame to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lumen wrote: »

It's not wacky races.

could have waded through a bit of muck - did you actually see it? - it was not the explosion of Mount Etna.

bit of muck goes across the road on an innocuous flat section- they probably could have walked around it to the right.

looked pretty tame to me.
    Nobody was walking around that, it's a cliff on the other side of that crash barrier.

here is an actual photo of the "mega landslide"

tame as feck.

about 8 inches deep of muck on the left side

TmzuT2b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

What a day to get a power cut. Sky unable yo record the stage.....stupid work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I heard a stat on eurosport the last day, steven kruijswijk has only 1 win in his career! Checked it, and all i can see is the gc from the arctic tour of norway, and a stage in the 2011 tour de suisse.
    I like the guy, would like to see him win, but he is the epitome of diesel/wheel sucking climber - he will do nothing tomorrow but hang on.
    Only hope for excitement tomorrow is thomas attacks bernal, or movistar do something crazy/stupid again.

here is an actual photo of the "mega landslide"

tame as feck.

about 8 inches deep of muck on the left side

TmzuT2b.jpg

It's time to drop it. It's been explained to you loads of times at this stage

It's time to drop it. It's been explained to you loads of times at this stage

picture says it all - it was minor at most.

• Advertisement

picture says it all - it was minor at most.

Seriously these are professional athletes not some Mickey mouse A4 race in Cavan. They don't have to put there safety at risk for your pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Still think taking the time at the bottom of the descent would have been a whole lot fairer.

But now all we can hope for is someone to actually attack early doors...could Bora do anything for buchmann

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

You must missed the helicopter pictures then of the Plough/JCB trying to clear the road. It was WHITE!

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    You must missed the helicopter pictures then of the Plough/JCB trying to clear the road. It was WHITE!

apparently that was only for a very short section.

Wiggins actually went through all the way to the finish at the time on a moped (was stopped for 10 mins then let through) and it was a case of only a very small section apparently - described it as a "micro climate" (few 100 metres) that would have been cleared.

he initially said that the riders should have gone through before towing the party line on Eurosport later.

also uphill so no speed involved.

now that the mega-landslide argument has been debunked all I'm saying is yes they took the precautionary approach but it may not have been all that serious.

retalivity wrote: »
    I heard a stat on eurosport the last day, steven kruijswijk has only 1 win in his career! Checked it, and all i can see is the gc from the arctic tour of norway, and a stage in the 2011 tour de suisse.
    I like the guy, would like to see him win, but he is the epitome of diesel/wheel sucking climber - he will do nothing tomorrow but hang on.
    Only hope for excitement tomorrow is thomas attacks bernal, or movistar do something crazy/stupid again.

Cadel Evans had a very good career being a Kruijswijk like Diesel, Steven is doing something wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

apparently that was only for a very short section.

Wiggins actually went through all the way to the finish at the time on a moped (was stopped for 10 mins then let through) and it was a case of only a very small section apparently - described it as a "micro climate" (few 100 metres) that would have been cleared.

he initially said that the riders should have gone through before towing the party line on Eurosport later.

also uphill so no speed involved.

now that the mega-landslide argument has been debunked all I'm saying is yes they took the precautionary approach but it may not have been all that serious.

Apparently, suggests you did not see it. I suggest you watch it, either YouTube, or Highlights later, and get back to us.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Apparently, suggests you did not see it. I suggest you watch it, either YouTube, or Highlights later, and get back to us.

I did see it.

"apparently" refers to the fact that was a small section.

Inquitus wrote: »

seems dramatic with lots of animated shouting but the aftermath at that exact spot is not dramatic

the left side of the road could be cleared / pushed aside of muck by a jcb in a few minutes for a car to get though

TmzuT2b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How can you have standing water on a 10% mountain. ILLUMINATI!!!!

Advertisement