Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour stage 19: Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne > Tignes 126km

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

glasso wrote: »
    LA on his podcast was arguing that the KOM basis should be changed as most years the best climber doesn't actually win KOM and that it's pretty irrelevant as is.

KOM is fine the way it is ....best climber wins the yellow
    Without KOM then climbers wont go for it in breaks ..and many stages will lack good climbers attacking in breaks ..Its another race within a race and fine

Lance Armstrong with his penchant for calling anyone who doesnt win a loser is another thing that gets on my wick ..ie "first loser" =2nd , "second loser =3rd"
    Spoken by a man who did anything to win including cheating,lying and bullying
    Why anyone would listen to that charlatan is beyond me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Without KOM then climbers wont go for it in breaks ..and many stages will lack good climbers attacking in breaks ..Its another race within a race and fine

Lance Armstrong with his penchant for calling anyone who doesnt win a loser is another thing that gets on my wick ..ie "first loser" =2nd , "second loser =3rd"

Lance is probably the only other person that thinks the riders should have ridden through the landslide lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

59km stage tomorrow LOL

MPFGLB wrote: »

I don't like the guy at all but do listen the odd time after an interesting stage.

I get the get the race within the race as it's largely the same case with the green jersey but anyways.

they also have his old cheat manager Johan Bruyneel on doing another podcast under the same name and if you were betting on his stage winner predictions you would have done very well.

letape wrote: »
    Lance is probably the only other person that thinks the riders should have ridden through the landslide lol

and Wiggins....

maybe they should cancel Paris Roubaix next year if a little rain is forecast!

Sean Kelly wouldn't have any of this nonsense in his day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

and Wiggins....

The same Wiggins that lost his nerves descending in the 2013 Giro - in his words he “descended a bit like a girl”. Yep I could see him going through the mud alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

and Wiggins....

Sean Kelly isn't the bar dude

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/riding-in-the-zone-rouge/

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Disappointing way for this year's tour to wind up after such great scenes through the last three weeks.

Can't argue with Bernal though, held on all this time and then went for it over two of the toughest days in the tour. He seemed like he absolutely had more in his tank too.

Just watching the highlights on Eurosport and good to see that Wiggans is keeping his crap jacket policy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I stand by saying that it would have been fecking brilliant instead of this anti-climatic deflation feeling.

Doubling down on your knobbish statement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Angliru wrote: »
    59km stage tomorrow LOL

Bring back the F1 Grid starting positions!!

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Doubling down on your knobbish statement

Apt username

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is a real anti-climax to a great tour. Personally I think they should have gathered them at the bottom and restarted the race with the time gaps.

Like we have no clue how this thing would have turned out had it not been cancelled.
    Did Bernal burn himself out with that breakaway? Had Thomas kept himself in better condition to go attack on the last climb? What about Kruijswijk, had he something left for the last climb?
    I feel very sorry for Alaphilippe too, I think he would have cut into the lead on the descent but I think he'd have lost more time on the last climb too.

Tomorrow could be insane. I think the stage might be a good one for Alaphilippe as it's so short. We have no idea what's going on with Ineos, I think the two top men have license to do their own thing. I certainly don't expect the defending champion to lie down and play super domestique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Rewatching it this evening, JA made precisely none seconds back on Bernal over 10 km on the descent. That road is not technical enough for the likes of JA to make inroads, no matter how much he threw the bike around the place.

He's just lucky he didn't lose 4 of 5 minutes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Start change for stage 20. Distance reduced to 59km. :eek:
    Up on official tdf site.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

topnotch wrote: »
    Start change for stage 20. Distance reduced to 59km. :eek:
    Up on official tdf site.

That could make things very interesting with JA. Would think the shorter distance with the climbs would suit him better and he can put out more power without killing himself but there,ll be chaos to as teams try to shut down breaks and other riders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Only 59km but retains the final 33km ascent. Could still be fireworks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fair enough if so - I haven't seen the follow up full picture - do you have a link?

From a friend there on whatsapp (on holiday in rural land so internet is poor enough) but pretty sure if you look at the side of the road on the most common videos on google, you will see the same, most of the pics here it was already above two foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Tough on Alaphilippe. I wonder why they didn't run it further to the point where the bad weather hit as he seemed to be recovering some time on the Iseran descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

https://twitter.com/NOSsport/status/1154849512793497601

I don't see the issue, Wiggins could just trade in the scooter for a scrambler. Once he can make it through the full stage should go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Was only up on the Col d'Iseran two weeks ago and the pass was closed due to a boulder rolling onto the road during a severe thunderstorm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

plodder wrote: »
    Tough on Alaphilippe. I wonder why they didn't run it further to the point where the bad weather hit as he seemed to be recovering some time on the Iseran descent.
    By my estimate he'd clawed back 4 or 5 seconds in 10k. So, no.
    Not to mention that there was a climb still to come. Whatever about Bernal, he would have lost more time to Thomas and co for sure. He was almost certainly looking at 3 or 4 mins lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

tuxy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/NOSsport/status/1154849512793497601

I don't see the issue, Wiggins could just trade in the scooter for a scrambler. Once he can make it through the full stage should go ahead.

Fake NEWS! that's the Tour of Bolivia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Itziger wrote: »
    By my estimate he'd clawed back 4 or 5 seconds in 10k. So, no.
    Not to mention that there was a climb still to come. Whatever about Bernal, he would have lost more time to Thomas and co for sure. He was almost certainly looking at 3 or 4 mins lost.

The official timers were way out, he'd basically caught the lads in front of him before it was neutralised, definitely back on to them before the end. His descending was insane, he went all out, comparing the different sections via video, he was gaining a second every 100m with the speed of him (second bottle of wine estimations). He probably would have lost a tone more time on the next climb but on that descent, he gave up everything, including his sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

So if Bernal wins today he could have the yellow, white & polka for jersey. Bardet has to come top 6 so that'll be an interesting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

CramCycle wrote: »
    The official timers were way out, he'd basically caught the lads in front of him before it was neutralised, definitely back on to them before the end. His descending was insane, he went all out, comparing the different sections via video, he was gaining a second every 100m with the speed of him (second bottle of wine estimations). He probably would have lost a tone more time on the next climb but on that descent, he gave up everything, including his sanity.

I haven't seen any evidence that he was about to catch the main men. Was catching up with lads in between, yes. If anybody thinks he would have been better with the race going full distance you need to watch the last 30 years of the TdF. When a non-climber loses time on the strong men in week 3 there is one very simple reason for that. If you don't agree, take a peek at Saturday's stage.

Advertisement