Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out if a house is privately owned, part of social housing, or rented?

Options
  • 26-07-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We've recently bought a new house and what should be the start of a happy new chapter of our life has turned into a nightmare with noisy neighbours playing excessively loud music.

Upon looking up what we can do about this, the guidelines state that our path depends on the type of occupation in the neighbouring house. It's a brand new estate so unlikely to be rented, but how do we find out if it was sold privately or if it was sold as social housing?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

We've recently bought a new house and what should be the start of a happy new chapter of our life has turned into a nightmare with noisy neighbours playing excessively loud music.

Upon looking up what we can do about this, the guidelines state that our path depends on the type of occupation in the neighbouring house. It's a brand new estate so unlikely to be rented, but how do we find out if it was sold privately or if it was sold as social housing?

Make a complaint to the noise Pollution section of your Local Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RTB register should show if it's privately rented but the list is not accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kceire wrote: »
    Make a complaint to the noise Pollution section of your Local Authority.

who may tell you it is classed as a "neighbour dispute" and send you a leaflet advising you to take them to court.

Which costs only around E20 and no solicitor needed,

Your first step is to write to them advising them that unless they stop, that is what you intend to do. many stop on just that warning..

hope it works out; maddening and upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I guess it would be better to discuss it verbally with them first? Then only go with the formal letter if we don't get a reasonable response?

If we do go the court route what happens? Who enforces the court order?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its also possible that council minutes might have the addresses of houses bought, now that I think about it. Have seen it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Karede

Landdirect.ie

Find the house on the map on land directs website. As far as i can tell private house's boundry is red and council is grey. You can also pay €5 for folio and it will give you the owners name if they have a mortgage on it (it also show if there were previous owners).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I would strongly suggest you go and have as amicable a conversation as you can with your neighbour. Sending a warning letter or compliant sets the tone for the future and I can tell you it won't be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't understand the difference, if any, if its sold privately or sold through the various social schemes. Can the op explain please, as the way I see it, whoever sold it on has already left the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Does social housing appear on the property price register?

Karede wrote: »
    Landdirect.ie

Find the house on the map on land directs website. As far as i can tell private house's boundry is red and council is grey. You can also pay €5 for folio and it will give you the owners name if they have a mortgage on it (it also show if there were previous owners).

It's a brand new house and doesn't appear to be on there yet but that looks very useful. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I don't understand the difference, if any, if its sold privately or sold through the various social schemes. Can the op explain please, as the way I see it, whoever sold it on has already left the equation.

It's a brand new house in a new housing estate. I know 10 of the houses in the estate are ear marked for social housing. Apparently, if it's a designated social housing unit then the owners have obligations to avoid anti social behaviour including noise. As far as I can tell, the complaint path we take is different if this is the case.

Does social housing appear on the property price register?

That is the first place I checked but I couldn't find a way to distinguish between private sales and social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Hi,

If you have just moved into the estate and same with neighbours, registration won’t have completed on land registry yet. New builds can take months to register over mapping the new folio. So it may just show the builder as owner still of the land. To rule out private renting, check ptrb for registration. With the 10% social housing in new builds, it can’t not be the council that housed them but another agency like tuath.

You could check with your solicitor. When we were looking to buy a new build, one of the questions our solicitor asked the builders solicitor was which houses were for part V.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Feel for ye, going through much the same with a lunatic behind us-(when I say lunatic I'm serious,sectioned several times yet Cluid housing association in their wisdom put him in amongst families)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Graces7 wrote:
    Your first step is to write to them advising them that unless they stop, that is what you intend to do. many stop on just that warning..

Didn't know any of this ,tnx

Dolbhad wrote: »
    If you have just moved into the estate and same with neighbours, registration won’t have completed on land registry yet. New builds can take months to register over mapping the new folio. So it may just show the builder as owner still of the land. To rule out private renting, check ptrb for registration. With the 10% social housing in new builds, it can’t not be the council that housed them but another agency like tuath.

You could check with your solicitor. When we were looking to buy a new build, one of the questions our solicitor asked the builders solicitor was which houses were for part V.

Yeh it's tuath that are responsible for the social housing in our estate. I doubt they'll just tell me if it's a social house or not though?

Probably a good idea to get advice from the solicitor anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Yeh it's tuath that are responsible for the social housing in our estate. I doubt they'll just tell me if it's a social house or not though?

Probably a good idea to get advice from the solicitor anyway, thanks.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is. I’ve lived next to a council house which some leaving families and also awful ones with parties and loud music. It can really affect your life. But it’s only been a few weeks so may be worth having a chat with neighbours and see if that can sort it.

If not, you may have to ask your solicitor to write to tuath and put in a complaint.

Didn't know any of this ,tnx

Learned the hard way; dogs barking all night and crowbangers 24/7 ... rural has different torments!.

the advice letter has always worked as they ignored any contact else. Short, formal, to the point. Typed of course.. ;)

Had an issue out here with a collie barking all night; a verbal ding dong with the neighbour and when I mentioned it was illegal at 2 am.... never happened again. and no hard feelings.

The entire issue is comprehensively covered here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/noise_regulations.html

wonderful resource...

Advertisement